Top Shelf Aquatics

Tang not eating seaweed, is Herbivore Frenzy enough?

CronicReefer

I just bought my first baby tang a couple days ago and I can't get him to eat the seaweed sheets, it almost seems to avoid the seaweed while it is in the tank whether it is attached to a clip or on the rocks, but he loves Reef Frenzy. So I went to the LFS yesterday and bought Herbivore Frenzy and am currently feeding that to the tang, which it devours with gusto along with the clowns. I'm just wondering if that will be enough to supplement the greens or should I try soaking the seaweed sheets in some sort of vitamin/garlic supplement such at Vitamarin-M or Selcon?

What kind of tang is it? I have a Kole Tang that absolutely will not eat nori no matter what I do, but it is very healthy still. I did the same as you with the Herbivore blend of LRS. I also supplemented with adding a spirulina tablets, which he absolutely devours, as well as my clowns.

What kind of tang is it? I have a Kole Tang that absolutely will not eat nori no matter what I do, but it is very healthy still. I did the same as you with the Herbivore blend of LRS. I also supplemented with adding a spirulina tablets, which he absolutely devours, as well as my clowns.

It is a Tomini Tang which belongs to the Ctenochaetus family (same as the kole tangs). I've read they prefer a type of algae called Ogo so maybe I should try the Nutramar Ogo sheets? I'm glad to hear yours is healthy on the Herbivore Frenzy though.

None of my Kole Tangs have ever eaten seaweed. They do eat pellets and Fish Frenzy. I feed Hikari Marine S along with the LRS Fish Frenzy. Try and do pellets every day and LRS every few days.

Do you think the Herbivore Frenzy everyday is okay? I don't really like pellet foods when you compare them to the Larry's line of products. I also see Larry makes seaweed sheets now but my LFS doesn't seem to carry them unless I happened to miss it last time I was there.

Do you think the Herbivore Frenzy everyday is okay? I don't really like pellet foods when you compare them to the Larry's line of products. I also see Larry makes seaweed sheets now but my LFS doesn't seem to carry them unless I happened to miss it last time I was there.

I don't see why it wouldn't be fine. I've never fed mine a specific herbivore diet. The Fish Frenzy seems to have chunks of seaweed in it as well. You can always get the herbivore pellets if you wanted. Your tang will get plenty of supplements from the LRS Fish Frenzy and the small amounts of algae it is scraping off your rocks.

My tang learned to eat nori by watching the angelfish.... the clowns/wrasse/blenny all eat it too now. Silly fish.

Maybe he will learn over time, the problem I have is when I dip it in a solution it attracts all the nassarius snails and they devour it :wacko:. I think I'll try Nutramar Ogo sheets since that is it's "natural" food source. I just feel like the Herbivore Frenzy is still too much of a meat based diet.

Archived