SaltCritters.com

Help with my petco cubic 3.7

wonderd

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chaeto likes to do that. I was told it'll generate that slime if it doesn't have room to tumble. Not a big deal though just take it out and rinse it out when you harvest. I usually take out the palest bunch and put the dark green bunch back in the fuge.

Opps I just cut it off thinking it was dead. Didnt know that section would come back to life.

Is it okay to add the xenia to the tank even though I have hair algae on my rock? When I buy the frag, is there a way to separate the coral from the piece its attached to and place it on my LR or do I just place the whole thing in the tank?

I think I am going to go with with the hydor pico 160 for the return pump unless someone thinks I should get something else. I want something quiet. I got some Xenia today from a local reefer and some purple hornet. Pics here. Chaeto still dying. Maybe since the tank is newer there are not enough nutrients in it to survive.

2016-02-04_0027.png
2016-02-04_0023.png
2016-02-04_0023.png
2016-02-04_0024.png

I am surprised your chaeto is dying. I have kept a ball of chaeto in a tupperware with the blue lid closed and it's still alive. Hydor should be fine. I have a Hydor 200. At first it was rattling against my heater making a humming noise. After tying airline tubings around it I hear nothing from the pump.

Yea its a mystery. I will try again in the future when the tank is a little older. I got a newer light socket today that fits par 38 so I will be ordering that ABI bulb mentioned earlier in this thread.

Anyone know anything about Xenia? Mine is not pulsing at all, I see it move a little every once in a while. Does it need to be more mature to pulse? Is it not the pulsing kind? Is there a way to tell just from the picture.

Simulated Fish

Yea its a mystery. I will try again in the future when the tank is a little older. I got a newer light socket today that fits par 38 so I will be ordering that ABI bulb mentioned earlier in this thread.

Anyone know anything about Xenia? Mine is not pulsing at all, I see it move a little every once in a while. Does it need to be more mature to pulse? Is it not the pulsing kind? Is there a way to tell just from the picture.

Not all Xenia pulse. Mine sure doesn't. Coral can take a few hours upto weeks to acclimate so give it some time. Did the reefer you get it from give you a name or say it was a pulsing?

He said they are pink or blue xenias, they look pink. He said he never got much movement out of them because they was in direct flow. I see them twitching every once in a while but no pulse yet.

Quick update. I removed the chaeto and built a media rack for the middle chamber and filled it with matrix. Also I have some brownish algae taking over the tank. Building a media rack for the first chamber tomorrow and have been trying to decide what media to use. Currently have filter floss and activated carbon, I am thinking about adding phosguard. I know folks told me nanoblue which is I believe a mix of carbon and purigen.

2016-02-08_0217.png

2016-02-08_0217.png

2016-02-08_0218.png

Simulated Fish

Quick update. I removed the chaeto and built a media rack for the middle chamber and filled it with matrix. Also I have some brownish algae taking over the tank. Building a media rack for the first chamber tomorrow and have been trying to decide what media to use. Currently have filter floss and activated carbon, I am thinking about adding phosguard. I know folks told me nanoblue which is I believe a mix of carbon and purigen.

Nano blue is a good choice, it is what myself and a lot of other reefers here uses. It is quick and easy - throw in a packet and your done.

Brown algae is most likely a diatom bloom. It is very common and happens to just about every new tank. With a good CUC and good husbandry it will clear up in a few weeks.

Keep up the updates and progress, tank is coming along.

Is running a bag of activated carbon and nano blue packs kinda repetitive? If I get the nano blue, should I skip the bag of activated carbon and add have something else more useful along side the nano blue?

I also notice a lot of bubbles forming in the hair algae

2016-02-08_0231.png

Simulated Fish

Is running a bag of activated carbon and nano blue packs kinda repetitive? If I get the nano blue, should I skip the bag of activated carbon and add have something else more useful along side the nano blue?

I also notice a lot of bubbles forming in the hair algae

2016-02-08_0231.png

That is quite a bit of algae what are your parameters looking like? Do you have a phosphate test kit?

Simulated Fish

Not sure of my parameters. I do not have a phosphate test kit yet.

Do have any test that you run? If not you really should look into it.it is very hard to find the reason to a problem you have without knowing the chemical levels in your tank.

I mentioned P04 because high P04 and nitrates = aglae explosion.

How often and how much of a WC are you doing? What saltmix do you use and where does your top-off water come from?

Nice job on the media baskets BTW :)

I did not run any tests, I do have an old saltwater test kit but I do not think it has a phosphate tester in it. I change the water once a week doing at least 30% I would say. For top off I am using distilled poland spring water.

The media rack is not working as well as I planned. I should have made it one square bigger and I can see where the water is going on the sides of the rack rather than going through the filter floss.

Yea the media rack looks nice I must say. Can you widen the rack?

I agree that you need at least nitrate and phosphate test kits. Would probably be nice to get another ball of chaeto. You'll need calcium and carbonate hardness test kits too if you want to do stony corals. This is an expensive hobby unfortunately. A small tank can easily run hundreds if not thousands. I've been trying to buy equipments used or DIY to lower cost.

Thanks, yea I had fun making it, kinda lol It looks like it is working better than expected. Remember the while filter floss layer from my post above? Well only after an hour of turning the pumps back on its covered in algae.

2016-02-09_0006.png

Simulated Fish

Thanks, yea I had fun making it, kinda lol It looks like it is working better than expected. Remember the while filter floss layer from my post above? Well only after an hour of turning the pumps back on its covered in algae.

Yeah that is why we don't use the disposal filter pads that comes with our tanks. Dropping $10-$15 bucks every few days...

Archived