Cultivated Reef

Help with my petco cubic 3.7

wonderd

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes stock pump for now, its nice and quiet. However I've read its not enough flow for SW.

Anyone have experience with Par30 ebay lights? I was looking at something like this but it looks a little to blue for my liking.

http://goo.gl/QNw5V8

Yes, they are garbage. I bought one for a fuge and it ended up in the trash. Anything works for fowlr though.

Yes, they are garbage. I bought one for a fuge and it ended up in the trash. Anything works for fowlr though.

What would you recommend that is fairly cheap?

With the current setup I have it would have to be a par30 like the first bulb. Do you have a recommendation for a basic softies bulb in a par30?

http://www.amazon.com/ABI-Aquarium-Light-450-470nm-15000K/dp/B00CXTZN2Q

If it is too white or too blue, cover some of the LED's.

Here is 4g tank I know of using this fixture: http://www.nano-reef.com/gallery/image/42662-mika-the-cube-reef-2016/

This shows how high they have it hanging (15"):

That looks nice but it looks like that bulb is a par38 not 30

Yah, you probably need a par38 if you are going cheap. The LED's on the ebay are not truely 3watt leds, It's just a marketing ploy. They just say 3 watt because the led's are 3 watt but then they may under drive them so they don't overheat so they are probably running at only 1 watt, maybe 2 but I doubt it.

The ABI has 12 x 1 watt led's.

Best bet is to find a tank running the light you want for at least a year successfully. If you can't find one, there is probably a reason.

Couple of bad pics. I took the chaeto out of the middle chamber and moved it to the tank for better light. Anyone know if it will have the same effect of filtration? I have not been able to get the Blue spot goby to eat yet, made sure he ate flake food at the store, but he does not seem interested yet.

The hair algae on the rock is from the original tank it was in.

2016-01-25_1907.png

2016-01-25_1908.png

2016-01-25_1908.png

2016-01-25_1915.png

It looks like you can use more rocks. Chaeto in the display may not work as good without good flow. It's a trade off between flow and light for you until you get a dedicated fuge light. You may want to take care of the hair algae before it becomes a problem.

Ok, I put the chaeto back in the middle chamber, will add some more LR. Also do you guys recommend ever taking your matrix out of the back and rinsing/cleaning it occasionally?

You dont think the main tank lighting would be enough for the chaeto ?

I try to pull out my media and rinse them every time I do a WC. I have slacked off a little on this I have to do a bit better.

As for fuge lighting, it probably depends on the spread of your main light. With the black sump divider it's hard for display light to get to the back, so I taped the stock light to the back behind the 2nd chamber. It's not the best light but better than nothing. Let's not waste It.

Doesn't rinsing the media take away the good bacteria that has developed on it that is used to fight nitrates ect. ?

I finally got the blue spot to eat, I went to the LFS and bought some live brine shrimp. Its cool watching them swim in the tank. He was even scared of the little things...

Simulated Fish

Doesn't rinsing the media take away the good bacteria that has developed on it that is used to fight nitrates ect. ?

I finally got the blue spot to eat, I went to the LFS and bought some live brine shrimp. Its cool watching them swim in the tank. He was even scared of the little things...

All of your bac filter is in the rock work and sand. Unless you are running a very minimalist aquascape and have ceramic inserts or balls to supplement for lack of rock/sand.

The media does have bac but it's so little removing it won't hurt anything. And remember a quick rinse won't kill it all of it. Baacteria are pretty hardy and unless you are making a point of killing of the colony it won't happen. The point is the remove built up food and waste that is on the media which will breakdown into ammonia/nitrite/nitrates. These are the chemicals we want to get out if the tank.

Lastly be sure you are getting him something other then just brine shrimp to munch on. It is a very poor diet and is pretty much the equivalent of feeding him only oreos all day. Glade to hear he is at lest starting to eat something, keep trying with other foods though. Brine shrimp is great for a tasty treat :)

Simulated Fish

Ah its more clear now thank you. What are you thoughts on adding a Xenia to the tank. Anyone have one? How often do they need to be fed?

Some people hate them because they are fast growing. I love them, they are very pretty flowing in the current. Plus the fast growing is a nice perk if you frag them and sell them! :) they are easy to care for and grow well in low light and non-pristine water, which is exactly what most new tanks are.

I would definitely pick some up, they are a cheap coral to start with and learn how to care for corals.

You can see pictures of my Xenia in my 8g cube build tread. It is a good look at how fast they grow, about 3-4x the size in only a few months. :)

I'm still worried if you haven't upgraded your pump yet. You need enough circulation around your live rocks to provide enough biological filtration and gaseous exchange.

Gutted mine and redid it all. Ordered a aqua lighter marine led. Will replace with a nanobox mini soon. And a tunze nano ato. Upgrade the pump to Rio 800.

post-82220-0-25403000-1454262760_thumb.jpg

Some people hate them because they are fast growing. I love them, they are very pretty flowing in the current. Plus the fast growing is a nice perk if you frag them and sell them! :) they are easy to care for and grow well in low light and non-pristine water, which is exactly what most new tanks are.

I would definitely pick some up, they are a cheap coral to start with and learn how to care for corals.

You can see pictures of my Xenia in my 8g cube build tread. It is a good look at how fast they grow, about 3-4x the size in only a few months. :)

Yea when I was looking at the frags at Petco the pulsing caught my eye. What do you feed it and how often? Does it have to be spot fed or do you just pour something in the water? Do you think $29 is expensive for this frag?

Simulated Fish

Yea when I was looking at the frags at Petco the pulsing caught my eye. What do you feed it and how often? Does it have to be spot fed or do you just pour something in the water? Do you think $29 is expensive for this frag?

For how big? I payed $25 for a 3.5in x 3.5in frag of Xenia. It does not need to be fed.

Please please please research any livestock you want to add before you buy. Make sure you can meet it's needs.

And upgrade your pump, even if its a cheap one. You need more flow, GPH, moving in that tank.

Okay I will upgrade the pump. I just pulled my Chaeto out to check on it and looks kinda....slimy? Anyone know what is happening with it? When its in the water the slimy section looks like yellowish.

2016-01-31_1504.png

2016-01-31_1506.png

Archived