Pod Your Reef

Please HELP identify these things?

jojo822

May be hard to see, but I have these little "stick" looking things growing all over my live rock. When disturbed, "cleaning the rock with a turkey baster", they seem to secrete a slime. They are very sharp, and are everywhere.

Also my tank has become over run with bristleworms, what if any eats these, that can go in a 28gal jbj nano? I've tried traps, and sucking them up..

post-81642-0-44479100-1452990662_thumb.jpeg

post-81642-0-77751400-1452990717_thumb.jpeg

post-81642-0-02698900-1452990770_thumb.jpeg

Look like vermetid snails to me. Generally harmless, but can bother corals when they feed with their webs. I like to kill the ones I find by gluing their holes shut/ or gluing over the whole snail shell.

Look like vermetid snails to me. Generally harmless, but can bother corals when they feed with their webs. I like to kill the ones I find by gluing their holes shut/ or gluing over the whole snail shell.

This.

just be careful, I have actually cut myself on these snail shells. These guys are annoying when you have large populations of them. I find that excess feeding seems to increase their numbers faster.

just be careful, I have actually cut myself on these snail shells. These guys are annoying when you have large populations of them. I find that excess feeding seems to increase their numbers faster.

I agree with this ^ Have noticed the same results in my 5 gallon tank.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this the only way to deal with them or is it at least the best option? Thanks

There are other ways, I just prefer the gluing method. You can try sticking a needle in their hole and scraping around inside. Or if they are small you can try crushing their shell.

Is this the only way to deal with them or is it at least the best option? Thanks

May be hard to see, but I have these little "stick" looking things growing all over my live rock. When disturbed, "cleaning the rock with a turkey baster", they seem to secrete a slime. They are very sharp, and are everywhere.

Also my tank has become over run with bristleworms, what if any eats these, that can go in a 28gal jbj nano? I've tried traps, and sucking them up..

A six line wrasse, an arrow crab or both can help eradicate the bristle worms.

Archived