ReefCleaners.org

Evaporation

scholl333

Hi folks, new here.

I've started a 14g biocube, lightly stocked with a few LPS. Question is once I start stocking more corals how do dose and or topoff, there is really no evaporation with the stock lights and hood.

thanks

Hi folks, new here.

I've started a 14g biocube, lightly stocked with a few LPS. Question is once I start stocking more corals how do dose and or topoff, there is really no evaporation with the stock lights and hood.

thanks

Welcome! You will still have some evaporation, even with the cover but not much. I would suggest marking the water level window in the return chamber with something (piece of tape) at the level you keep it at. top off when it drops below the line.

(top off with RODI water)

I wouldn't worry about dosing just yet until your tank starts to develop and you need to dose for calcium and alk.

Thanks! yes, level is marked. just not sure what the preferred method is to prep for the inevitable increase in CA and Alk with little evap. I'll be upgrading lights to LED but really don't see how with PC's or LEDs and a closed lid it will evap enough to get enough topoff in.

Previous system was 65 with open top, fans and t5's, topoff and dosing kalk wasn't a problem. I guess I could open the feeding lid and get a fan going across that, but aesthetically probably wouldn't look too good.....trying to keep the clean closed look of the AIO.

thanks

Archived