SaltCritters.com

Marineland Contour 5 Gal - Office Tank - Update: New Coral

ReefRunner1

5 Gallon - FTS - 2.5 Months

Started a 5 gallon tank at work. Let me know your thoughts.

Marineland Contour 5 Gallon Tank

~15 - 20 LBs LR

Wave-Point 6-inch LED

Rio+ 800 return - Swapped for the Rio 180. (800 was a bit much and wanted to use it at the house)

Filter floss

Ocellaris Clownfish

1x Trochus

2x Turbo

2x Hermmit

Green Star Polyp

Pulsing Xenia

Torch

Caught this little guy bummin' a ride.

Hitchiker

New GSP is doing great in this small tank. Xenia has really started pulsing since the last water change. I try to change ~.5 - 1 gallon a week. Haven't tested my parameters in a couple of weeks, but it all looks in good shape.

Countour 5  Update - GSP

reefernanoman

Caught this little guy bummin' a ride.

New GSP is doing great in this small tank. Xenia has really started pulsing since the last water change. I try to change ~.5 - 1 gallon a week. Haven't tested my parameters in a couple of weeks, but it all looks in good shape.

Looks nice. Watch out for them Xenia. They grow like weeds and can take over your entire tank in no time. Same thing with GSP.

Looks nice. Watch out for them Xenia. They grow like weeds and can take over your entire tank in no time. Same thing with GSP.

Ya. I was originally thinking about putting some more small things in there. Maybe a Kenya Tree or a Torch/Hammer to keep the others at bay. Thinking about it a bit more, I might just have only these two. They are hypnotizing and relaxing while at work.

Nice! I just started a 5 Gal Marineland Portrait (same thing with a different style light), did you have any issues with the stock light or just wanted to use something different?

Nice! I just started a 5 Gal Marineland Portrait (same thing with a different style light), did you have any issues with the stock light or just wanted to use something different?

I read from the beginning that the stock light wasn't enough. There was another nano reefer at work that had success with this light so I figured why not. It is a bit on the blue side, but the corals like it so who am I to judge.

I read from the beginning that the stock light wasn't enough. There was another nano reefer at work that had success with this light so I figured why not. It is a bit on the blue side, but the corals like it so who am I to judge.

Fair point. I had a slight shipping problem so I wound up with two of the stock lights, I might wind up Frankensteining mine since I'm into messing with stuff.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

That could be cool combining the two and maybe adding a strip of your choice or making the light run both blue and white at the same time. I didn't like that I had to choose and it was manual to change colors. It's a work one. I want low maintenance. I just want it to sit there and look pretty...

• 2 weeks later...

How's your tank looking?

Tank is looking great. The top rocks are definitely more green. It isn't hair algae. I have already fought that battle. The snails are constantly passing over these rocks and it is still there. I will get another picture up soon.

The clownfish is still hanging out. Mostly sticks to one corner of the tank. I have the urge to put something else in the tank. Either a small damsel or some coral. Not sure what coral though. Maybe a ricordea would be good for this small one. Thoughts?

Where do most people get small cheap frags. I looked around and reefs2go.com has some cheap prices.

I get mine at my LFS, they have a rack that is everything for $10, perfect size for the tank and sometimes they frag something awesome and it makes it to that rack. I haven't tried ordering corals from anywhere yet.

My vote is to add some coral, I've been loving the way it all looks, but I'm going for a mainly coral tank anyways.

I have the urge to put something else in the tank.

^^ My problem every day!

Update:

Tanks is looking good. I accidentally broke off a piece of the GSP last week. I looked over this morning and found that it is growing.... cool deal.

20160204_162903.jpg

Also, xenia is growing.... Like it does. Starting to get up off the base a bit.

20160204_184331.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
ReefRunner1

March Update:

Tank is doing great. No issues. The remaining GHA has gone. with the Chemipure the tank has had super low nutrients.

I have added a small two-head torch coral that I picked up locally for $40. I will be adding a coral to the top section, but I think I will take out the top rock and add a smaller one. This will give the clownfish a bit more room and open some room for another fish. I am thinking some Zoas and a ricor are still lacking in the tank. I don't really have any nitrate/phosphate numbers because I don't test for them. The weekly water changes and the Chemipure do the trick. I still throw some coral frenzy occasionally.

Nothing has changed on the hardware front. Same gear, different day.

20160308_100326.jpg

20160308_100254.jpg

Archived