Top Shelf Aquatics

Can I use these filters as replacement?(Rodi)

Visionist

Currently have an aquasafe RODI unit which is "7 stages" 3 of which just being smaller DI containers.

It uses Sediment->GAC->Coconut carbon->RO membrane->DI resinx3

Its time for me to replace my filters and I really don't see the point in the 3 DI resin containers.

Can I just use the filter replacements such as this and remove the coconut carbon since its pretty useless and redundant anyways?
http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store/4-Stage-0.5uM-RODI-Replacement-Filter-Kit.html

The RODI Unit I have is this one(I paid about half the price listed fwiw)

http://www.aquasafecanada.com/products/aquarium-ii-7-stage-ro-di-system.html

Thanks

To make it a true reef quality RO/DI system get rid of the three horizontal tubes they call DI filters, install a 0.5 or 1.0 micron near absolute sediment filter in the first canister, a single 0.5 or 1.0 extruded carbon block in the second and spend maybe 30 minutes time and $10 or so in parts and replumb the third full size vertical canister into a real 20 oz refillable DI filter. You will not be disappointed and your water quality will never have been better. You will spend $25 to $30 on the sediment and carbon block, $20 or so on the refillable DI filled with 20oz of fresh reef specific resin and maybe $5-$8 on miscellaneous parts if you can't salvage them from what you already have. Real reef quality RO/DI systems don't have GAC carbon or horizontal DI tubes. Both are a waste of money

To make it a true reef quality RO/DI system get rid of the three horizontal tubes they call DI filters, install a 0.5 or 1.0 micron near absolute sediment filter in the first canister, a single 0.5 or 1.0 extruded carbon block in the second and spend maybe 30 minutes time and $10 or so in parts and replumb the third full size vertical canister into a real 20 oz refillable DI filter. You will not be disappointed and your water quality will never have been better. You will spend $25 to $30 on the sediment and carbon block, $20 or so on the refillable DI filled with 20oz of fresh reef specific resin and maybe $5-$8 on miscellaneous parts if you can't salvage them from what you already have. Real reef quality RO/DI systems don't have GAC carbon or horizontal DI tubes. Both are a waste of money

I've been using my system for about a year and a half and it's still 0tds. I haven't really had any issues and I'm not sure where to find the parts you suggested in Canada. I know the 3 horizontal tubes aren't good, but I don't see the problem with GAC or the DI cartridge?

The one in the link is actually carbon block not GAC btw, I never realized that.

I have the same RODI unit. Gives me 0 TDS as well. Mine came with a billion extra filters, so just slowly going through them. Never had any sort of algae/water quality problem so I can't complain.

Following along to see what you come up with.

GAC is soft and turns to dust as it is used up plugging whatever is downstream. It also has a useful life of about 300 total gallons or 240 waste and 60 treated. After that you are allowing chlorine to eat your TFC RO membrane. A low range chlorine test kit will prove that to be true.

Horizontal DI provides poor treatment since the water takes the path of least resistance along the bottom not touching the top resin. You can take them off the clips on top and mount them vertically on the wall or zip tied to a vertical canister so they fill from the bottom and exit the top so all resin comes into contact with the water for better treatment.

I have the same RODI unit. Gives me 0 TDS as well. Mine came with a billion extra filters, so just slowly going through them. Never had any sort of algae/water quality problem so I can't complain.

Following along to see what you come up with.

Found out the link I posted actually comes with a refillable DI housing so I will just use that in place of the coconut carbon filter and get rid of those 3 small DI containers effectively running it as 4 stage instead of 7

GAC is soft and turns to dust as it is used up plugging whatever is downstream. It also has a useful life of about 300 total gallons or 240 waste and 60 treated. After that you are allowing chlorine to eat your TFC RO membrane. A low range chlorine test kit will prove that to be true.

Horizontal DI provides poor treatment since the water takes the path of least resistance along the bottom not touching the top resin. You can take them off the clips on top and mount them vertically on the wall or zip tied to a vertical canister so they fill from the bottom and exit the top so all resin comes into contact with the water for better treatment.

I believe all of this. Mine works fine though, but the water here is really good to begin with. I got my RODI as a gift and beggers cant be choosers. Been using it 3 or 4 years now and haven't run out of extra filters yet, getting close though. When I run out, it will be time to upgrade. I am bad and don't change filter enough either, derp. Can't say I have any water issues with my tanks though. Makes me kind of want to set up a tank with the tap water here and dechlorinater just to see what would happen.

I believe all of this. Mine works fine though, but the water here is really good to begin with. I got my RODI as a gift and beggers cant be choosers. Been using it 3 or 4 years now and haven't run out of extra filters yet, getting close though. When I run out, it will be time to upgrade. I am bad and don't change filter enough either, derp. Can't say I have any water issues with my tanks though. Makes me kind of want to set up a tank with the tap water here and dechlorinater just to see what would happen.

Water here is 45tds from the tap give or take and I still ran into phosphate/algae issues before buying my rodi unit. Never really had any trouble after using rodi.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived