Coral Vue Hydros

Perching fish

Bingo1213

Im looking for a good rock perching fish that is reef and shrimp safe. The only perching fish I currently have is my Mandrin. My tank is a 70 gallon tall reef tank. So far all of my fish are very peaceful and I don't want that to change. Any suggestions you have would be great!

Not 100% sure what you mean by perching fish, but I think you mean a fish that will perch up on the rock work and such. If this is the case, I would recommend a Blenny of some sort. I have a Molly Miller Blenny that will find the oddest places to just sit and chill, He is also very social and knows when food is going to enter the tank with no fear of people or objects entering the tank.

Yes that's exactly what I meant. I like that blenny! Do you know if they are known to ever nip clams or corals like bicolors sometimes do?

I currently only have softies in my tank, but so far he ignores everything, including the smaller sexy shrimp. The Molly Miller Blenny is said to also eat Aiptasia, But I do not have Aiptasia in my tank to make any notes on this. So as far as perching and personality, I give mine a A+. He even chases after my magnetic scraper while I'm cleaning the glass. I am guilty of hitting him a few times....

Yellow clown gobies are perchers, are beautiful, and don't have much bioload. They are territorial toward their own kind. In a 70 you could get two.

I do love those I'm just afraid of them eating my sps. Is that a very common occurrence?

Love my tail spot Blenny! Other than being a pooping machine, he is active and does a great job of keeping the tank clean of pods and algae. By far one of my favorite fish in the reef.

post-90150-0-48195700-1452821855_thumb.jpg

I do love those I'm just afraid of them eating my sps. Is that a very common occurrence?

Depends on the fish, but they are known for perching on sps, therefore bothering them. Also, if you have a mated pair, they lay eggs on sps.

Love my tail spot Blenny! Other than being a pooping machine, he is active and does a great job of keeping the tank clean of pods and algae. By far one of my favorite fish in the reef.

I've never heard of a tailspot eating pods. And I've never noticed any of mine do that. But maybe I've just missed it. Usually they just eat algae. They are hair algae eating machines for their size... Which results in less area for pods to live. A rainsfords goby will eat both pods and hair algae though.

Anyway why do you want your tank free of pods? Just curious.

TO OP..with a tank your size look into a Midas Blenny. Most perching fish are going to either be unfriendly to shrimp (things like longnose hawkfish) or small for your size tank (red head goby) or too cryptic for a large tank (highfin perchlet).

I think the best, most safe, most active, and reasonably sized and affordable option would be a Midas Blenny.

GL

Yellow clown gobies are perchers, are beautiful, and don't have much bioload. They are territorial toward their own kind. In a 70 you could get two.

+1 for the clown goby. I have one, more of a tannish color than yellow. But perches on everything, even on the glass walls. Mine has a super calm attitude and I never had a problem with him.

The only thing is watch what corals you have because they will perch on the coral.

I've never heard of a tailspot eating pods. And I've never noticed any of mine do that. But maybe I've just missed it. Usually they just eat algae. They are hair algae eating machines for their size... Which results in less area for pods to live. A rainsfords goby will eat both pods and hair algae though.

Anyway why do you want your tank free of pods? Just curious.

TO OP..with a tank your size look into a Midas Blenny. Most perching fish are going to either be unfriendly to shrimp (things like longnose hawkfish) or small for your size tank (red head goby) or too cryptic for a large tank (highfin perchlet).

I think the best, most safe, most active, and reasonably sized and affordable option would be a Midas Blenny.

GL

Don't know about others as this is my first tailspot, but he is eating everything in sight. Had a LOT of pods in the tank before I added him. Don't want them gone, just less, and he has done that for sure. Funny thing is he acts like a dog. Always goes to the same corner to drop a load LOL

Don't know about others as this is my first tailspot, but he is eating everything in sight. Had a LOT of pods in the tank before I added him. Don't want them gone, just less, and he has done that for sure. Funny thing is he acts like a dog. Always goes to the same corner to drop a load LOL

Well, pods are usually a self-limiting population. It's very normal to get a "pod explosion" that tapers off over time as the tank matures and the population slowly declines to match the nutrients available and predation.

I'm not saying a tailspot would never eat a pod, and I'm no expert, but I would guess it has more to do with decreasing the turf algae where they thrive and the natural decline.

Unless you are doing something like dosing live phyto to keep up a population, it's pretty hard to maintain the pod population to the levels you see when you get that initial "spike" a few months after setting up a tank.

Again, I'm no expert, just IME.

Definitely don't get a Clown Goby with SPS. From what I've read there are people than have gotten lucky but they are hit and miss and more likely to be a problem even compared to something like a dwarf angel.

Archived