ReefCleaners.org

MarquiseO's Shallow 36"x24"x16" Reef Tank

ReviloM

^

I will only say the following because of what you said "TBH, I am no overflow expert" . I believe you are running a Bean Animal setup. Now, the way the Bean Animal setup works is as follows, one is a full siphon line, this one ALWAYS has the valve, typically you see a gate valve for more precise flow control.

The second one is the open channel. This is the one that has the airline tubing coming out of the top. The last of course is the emergency.

The point of the open channel is as follows, if, for whatever reason the full siphon line were to get clogged, then the outer overflow box will begin to rise with water. At this point, the open channel line that has the airline tubing needs to turn in to a full siphon line, but, in order to do this, the airline needs to come in contact with the water height, this is why you want the airline tubing bending down towards the inside of the box and not the top of the pvc. Once the line is submerged, it will become a full siphon line and the emergency becomes the open channel.

You generally want to end your emergency line ABOVE the water line in the sump, because if your siphon line is clogged, you will audibly hear the water splashing in your sump to alert you that something is wrong.

Your full siphon line will have to be submerged ~1" in the sump for it to work properly. Lastly, the open channel line I keep pretty submerged in my setup so that I do not get any dripping water sounds from it when the return section has evaporated water loss.

The open channel line never really needs a valve because you always want it fully open. You only want a trickle of water to go down that line because this is what causes the full siphon line from not taking in all the flow, which makes the whole system quiet, which is the brilliance of a BA setup.

Anyways, I hope I didn't come across as a know-it-all, I merely wanted to say something in case you didn't know it and to prevent anything from going wrong.

I made a video on a Bean Animal setup on my 75g discus tank and 40g sump if you are interested in viewing it:

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh man this looks nice. Are just doing royal grammas, no anthias this time?

Both

I will only say the following because of what you said "TBH, I am no overflow expert" . I believe you are running a Bean Animal setup. Now, the way the Bean Animal setup works is as follows, one is a full siphon line, this one ALWAYS has the valve, typically you see a gate valve for more precise flow control.

The second one is the open channel. This is the one that has the airline tubing coming out of the top. The last of course is the emergency.

The point of the open channel is as follows, if, for whatever reason the full siphon line were to get clogged, then the outer overflow box will begin to rise with water. At this point, the open channel line that has the airline tubing needs to turn in to a full siphon line, but, in order to do this, the airline needs to come in contact with the water height, this is why you want the airline tubing bending down towards the inside of the box and not the top of the pvc. Once the line is submerged, it will become a full siphon line and the emergency becomes the open channel.

You generally want to end your emergency line ABOVE the water line in the sump, because if your siphon line is clogged, you will audibly hear the water splashing in your sump to alert you that something is wrong.

Your full siphon line will have to be submerged ~1" in the sump for it to work properly. Lastly, the open channel line I keep pretty submerged in my setup so that I do not get any dripping water sounds from it when the return section has evaporated water loss.

The open channel line never really needs a valve because you always want it fully open. You only want a trickle of water to go down that line because this is what causes the full siphon line from not taking in all the flow, which makes the whole system quiet, which is the brilliance of a BA setup.

Anyways, I hope I didn't come across as a know-it-all, I merely wanted to say something in case you didn't know it and to prevent anything from going wrong.

I made a video on a Bean Animal setup on my 75g discus tank and 40g sump if you are interested in viewing it:

Thanks for info.

So the tank is going through a small diatom bloom. I will upload a FTS once that subsides. Sorry. But here are some pics of my montiporas I currently have in my tank:

24350404049_8928d89591_b.jpg

24091235093_0605c2000d_b.jpg

24350405269_20d3936246_b.jpg

Update:

-I have been away from home for the past two days and came home to my aquascape had fallen apart. The issue occurred due to the Vertex Epoxy. I highly recommend everyone to NOT use it. It hardens out of water but later it fell apart while submerged. I had to redo my scape with JB WaterWeld.

-Installed my MRC CR2 Dual Calcuium Reactor with a CarbonDoser.com Electronic CO2 Regulator & 5lb CO2 tank.

-My next step will be wire management.

-Some of my SPS have lost color due to phosphates. The new rock I used had too much die off and it affected the coloration. I estimate the color to return in about 3 weeks.

Here is a pic of the display and the sump area. Note that this pic was just taken while the LEDs are within the last hour of the ramp down.

24198963013_0627bf50b3_c.jpg

24530272510_482581f27d_c.jpg

Sorry about your rock scape.. Won't be using that product any time soon.

Why are you hanging your LEDs so high? Seems like they could be lots lower

Sorry about your rock scape.. Won't be using that product any time soon.

Why are you hanging your LEDs so high? Seems like they could be lots lower

It's really not that tall. The photo makes it appear that way. It's 14" away from the water line and my lights are 100%. I'd rather raise my lights and use 100% instead of lowering the %. When I tested with the par meter, it gave me the desired range of 300+ par on the top area of my aquascape where my acros are.

It may also give you a better spread and not a disco effect, I would think so

With the placement of my rockscape and the lights directly above them, spread wouldn't have be an issue due to the native 80 Degree lenses. Amazingly with these lights, there isn't a discoball effect.

Lbrxxj3.jpg

The only I do not like though is that the "LED BLUE" produced by this fixture is more like a "Kessil Blue" than a "Reef Brite XHO Blue". (That's the best way to compare the deepness of the blue, lol)

Some pics I just took. I do miss the ReefBrite XHO units. The two units on produced enough light to take good photos under blues only. With my new hydras, the images come out a little darker due to lesser amount of blue LEDs.

24543844850_d63611741f_c.jpg

24471731089_207e4561ce_c.jpg

24813092166_ebb42227ce_c.jpg

I can't wait till this echinata grows out to look like the mother colony I got it from:

24721562822_a20b91bba5_c.jpg

24151820390_dcb3a32800_c.jpg

lilmatty5dimes

I got the tank bottom and back painted. Installed the ghost overflow. I had to take a pic from the side because from the front, you won't see the overflow well because it blends in with the back wall too well.

24124099180_814be18658_c.jpg

On another note: UPS let me down with my plumbing. They usually bring the package all the way to the hub near my home but decided to stop travel of my package an hour and 53 mins away at another hub. I was going to go pick it up from the hub near me today instead of delivery Tuesday but that plan failed.

that there is just pure sexiness. love the idea of cutting out the AIO/false wall i did it to my cadlight 16g which made it a lot better. it looked pretty dirty back there.

24122140519_8f7aeacae0_h.jpg

awesome job. i'm in love with the red and black theme.

Nah. I went back to LEDs but with more fixtures for more spread. I will practically run them at a low setting but have a more even spread. I like T5's but the bulb and energy costs started to take an effect.

I've been working on the aquascape. It isn't finished but here is a sneak peak for everyone:

24196817470_344637c902_b.jpg

23864183024_d857785788_b.jpg

should have kept the t5's was going to ask what you used but i see that it failed. what jbweld do you use?

Well here is my skimmer, Reef Octopus Classic 202-S. It is way bigger than I expected. I placed a 12 FL Oz gatorade next to it for size comparison. The bottle has about a 2.5" diameter.

24546830262_c1601a5247_b.jpg

24359662680_3fe59943d4_b.jpg

that skimmer is awesome.

So the tank is going through a small diatom bloom. I will upload a FTS once that subsides. Sorry. But here are some pics of my montiporas I currently have in my tank:
24350404049_8928d89591_b.jpg
24091235093_0605c2000d_b.jpg
24350405269_20d3936246_b.jpg

great monti collection. i love that first one. definitely following

that there is just pure sexiness. love the idea of cutting out the AIO/false wall i did it to my cadlight 16g which made it a lot better. it looked pretty dirty back there.

awesome job. i'm in love with the red and black theme.

should have kept the t5's was going to ask what you used but i see that it failed. what jbweld do you use?

that skimmer is awesome.

great monti collection. i love that first one. definitely following

Thanks! I use the regular JB Waterweld from lowes

lilmatty5dimes

Thanks! I use the regular JB Waterweld from lowes

This stuff here? Do anything special to it or just follow the directions and place where ya wanted the rock to stick. Thanks

This stuff here? Do anything special to it or just follow the directions and place where ya wanted the rock to stick. Thanks

Yes. Just use it like regular reef epoxy.

Nothing significant to report with the tank. The tank is starting to stabilize. SPS are starting to regain color.

My tank is now filled with millions(not an exaggeration) of pods all over the glass and rocks.

24321980223_2d082fb00d_c.jpg

24581200569_80a0328de3_c.jpg

awesome! had one of those chalice in the first pic a while back and really regret trading it. beautiful tank!!!!

It's a Watermelon Chalice. I am pretty sure you will stumble across another one due to several variations of it on the market right now.

Update:

-Lighting: Right now I have (2) Hydra 52 HD. I can truly say these lights are worth every penny and rival many of the other popular fixtures out there. The reason I chose these were due to cost, user friendliness, builtin wifi, appeal, and my first choice was on backorder for months in the US. I have had several fresh cut corals to encrust nicely while under these lights.

I recently received an email that my first choice of lighting, Giesemann Matrixx II 6x39W was back in stock so I purchased it. I may add two "36" Reefbrite XHO units on the outer areas as seen in the images below but I am not sure how effective they will be on the outsides:

ot7WiE8.jpg

20151229_194655_zpslliixygy.jpg

Image from BeanMachine on ReefCentral.

Archived