ReefCleaners.org

MarquiseO's Shallow 36"x24"x16" Reef Tank

ReviloM

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is one spankin' hot tank. Can't wait to see what is in store for it.

Thanks!

Great work so far! This tank is already awesome and it's still dry! Where did you get the alum T tube from?

Thanks! Amazon - 80/20 Retailer

No more t5?

Nah. I went back to LEDs but with more fixtures for more spread. I will practically run them at a low setting but have a more even spread. I like T5's but the bulb and energy costs started to take an effect.

I've been working on the aquascape. It isn't finished but here is a sneak peak for everyone:

24196817470_344637c902_b.jpg

23864183024_d857785788_b.jpg

Nah. I went back to LEDs but with more fixtures for more spread. I will practically run them at a low setting but have a more even spread. I like T5's but the bulb and energy costs started to take an effect.

I've been working on the aquascape. It isn't finished but here is a sneak peak for everyone:

24196817470_344637c902_b.jpg

23864183024_d857785788_b.jpg

Why does it have to look so good... like seriously

Why does it have to look so good... like seriously

Lol. To me it needs more work. I am still not satisfied.

I am all over the place right now. I am flip-flopping from aquascaping, to cementing the pvc on the overflow, to removing my sump from my old setup, and messaging on here.

I am reusing my same sump from my last build which is why you see the black and red pvc. I am in the process of cleaning it up but here are some pics of when I first got it in case you missed it:

20715577345_3e04eaeff5_c.jpg

20706278562_f636cb38dd_c.jpg

20528812219_76f8ab9ccf_c.jpg

20527577718_987f802bf3_c.jpg

Spiderguardnano

Looks so sick man I love LEDs but I just picked up a retro kit so we'll see

This is the scape I want when I get my hands on this tank

BB8E8EE3-5B48-40EF-8BC4-389A7B90789B_zps

Looks so sick man I love LEDs but I just picked up a retro kit so we'll see

This is the scape I want when I get my hands on this tank

BB8E8EE3-5B48-40EF-8BC4-389A7B90789B_zps

I thought about doing a scape like that but I wanted to minimize the rock and be original.

I thought about doing a scape like that but I wanted to minimize the rock and be original.

Less rock means more room for plate corals and acan gardens!

Had to go to the lfs today and check one of these out. Man looks like a perfect setup! Think I might have to keep my eye open for a used sr-60. Question why didn't u put a return on both sides it would look more symmetrical.

Had to go to the lfs today and check one of these out. Man looks like a perfect setup! Think I might have to keep my eye open for a used sr-60. Question why didn't u put a return on both sides it would look more symmetrical.

Didn't need two return lines.

Tank is wet and corals are in for now. No pics till tomorrow. I have to mount the frags and my other AI Hydra 52 then I will post pics.

Some updates:

-Sorry for no pics yet. I am still waiting on my other Hydra 52 HD fixture, black 90 degree elbows so I can hook up my sump, and my other equipment to get delivered today which was suppose to have been yesterday.

-Sad news is that 3 of my acros (Red Dragon, Rainbow Tenius, and a super blue acro) RTN'd. Probably due to me not using my old rock. I thought if I used the Marinepure 8x8x4 block, it would hold the nutrient load solo until my new rock has bacteria.

-My calcium reactor doesn't fit into my stand due to under-estimating the size of the stand and my sump. I will probably have to build a separate containment for it.
Sorry for the lack of updates. I have been busy due to family time and being exhausted after work.

I got the plumbing done. It isn't the best and it's not the worst but it will do for now until I want to change it. My sump only has one intake which sucks because it isn't organized like the main overflow drain. The most important thing is there are no leaks anywhere.

I cut my Marinepure 8x8x4 block in half and placed it in the refugium section of my sump along with my heaters. Note: the image makes it looks like it isn't submerged but it is and has about 3" of water over it.

I will have to order my new skimmer. The RLSS DB-6i I wanted is still on backorder. I may just get the Reef Octopus Classic 202-S 8" Protein Skimmer to match my sump/plumbing theme.

24490161801_07dcfd3e92_b.jpg

- I have the lights hung and connected to each other. I had to remove the fan cover so that the lights could fit directly with the included screws. I will next work on cord organization for the fixtures.

24276932910_6a4f8cea1a_b.jpg

-I am currently working on my hidden ATO container. It is 20 gallon long I got from the petco $1 per gallon sale. It fits directly into the gaming chest below. I will go to lowes tomorrow to get a piece of glass cut to go over the tank to eliminate evaporation.

I may, also, install all my apex units on the lid of the chest but I am not 100% on that because of the lack of ventilation. Moisture won't be a problem due to the glass completely covering the ATO tank.

24490161381_93c7517b67_b.jpg

I am just waiting on the tank to clear up to update everyone with a display FTS. Particles from the rock during aquascaping caused the cloudiness. I purchased some 100 micron socks to help out but it won't be here until tomorrow with my skimmer.

Well here is my skimmer, Reef Octopus Classic 202-S. It is way bigger than I expected. I placed a 12 FL Oz gatorade next to it for size comparison. The bottle has about a 2.5" diameter.

24546830262_c1601a5247_b.jpg

24359662680_3fe59943d4_b.jpg

Well here is my skimmer, Reef Octopus Classic 202-S. It is way bigger than I expected. I placed a 12 FL Oz gatorade next to it for size comparison. The bottle has about a 2.5" diameter.

24546830262_c1601a5247_b.jpg

24359662680_3fe59943d4_b.jpg

I don't thing its big enough-- You might want to get a bigger skimmer

Those Synergy ghost overflows are so cool, really well designed piece of kit. I like your light hanger also, I used similar stuff for mine, ordered from 80/20. Setup is looking really good, looking forward to seeing this all up and running.

The plumbing, glue & putty for the aquascape, aluminum T-slot for my light mount, and one of my Hydra 52 HD arrived today.

24193926370_bae8f884ba_h.jpg

23862667133_efee3db3f8_h.jpg

I am currently in the process of plumbing the tank. The overflow has been completed:

24489884115_bdbfbbe663_h.jpg

I had to route my emergency overflow through the left side due to lack of space on the right side. It will just drain into the sump instead of directly at the filter sock.

24122140519_8f7aeacae0_h.jpg

I've always liked these ghost overflows. I almost bought one but decided to make my own due to them not custom making one for me in the size I needed. Looking at your open channel line, will you make the air line longer and bring it back down so that it can turn in to a full siphon in case of blocking? I believe this is a Bean Animal setup correct?

I like the color of your pvc. Is the second true union ball valve there just for redundancy?

Great build and I would love to know who in Amazon you got the t-slots. How much did you invest? I'm considering doing this myself for my upcoming build but I am still comparing prices between DIY wood / welding my own steel aluminum stand / or making a T-slot one. Would really appreciate the info. Thanks.

I don't thing its big enough-- You might want to get a bigger skimmer

Its too huge. The cup can go about a week and half of dry skimming. It has an 8" diameter body at the widest portion.

I've always liked these ghost overflows. I almost bought one but decided to make my own due to them not custom making one for me in the size I needed. Looking at your open channel line, will you make the air line longer and bring it back down so that it can turn in to a full siphon in case of blocking? I believe this is a Bean Animal setup correct?

The airline was made longer. I just used that short piece to make sure the hole size was correct. TBH, I am no overflow expert. I just used an example they had on their site and followed.

I like the color of your pvc. Is the second true union ball valve there just for redundancy?

It's the second intake. The third is for emergency. I have ball valves to control/restict the flow to reduce noise. Having the second fully open creates a slight noise but it is none existent now because it is slightly closed.

Great build and I would love to know who in Amazon you got the t-slots. How much did you invest? I'm considering doing this myself for my upcoming build but I am still comparing prices between DIY wood / welding my own steel aluminum stand / or making a T-slot one. Would really appreciate the info. Thanks.

80/20 Amazon Store . If I remember correctly, it was around $90 total. I would go Aluminum T-slot because it is lightweight, easy to take down in case of moving, a clean easy build, and reusable for other projects.

^

Archived