SaltCritters.com

MarquiseO's Shallow 36"x24"x16" Reef Tank

ReviloM

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For this build, I will be going back to LEDs. I love T5's but replacing bulbs sucks and the energy costs are noticeable. So a question I would like to ask is, do you think (2) AI Hydras 52 HD + (1) AI Hydra 26 HD would be overkill? The lighting will be placed linearly in the tank. The goal is to provide enough light spread to cover dark spots. The lights will, also, run parallel to my future aquascape which will be coming soon. The tank is 36x24x16.

All drilled and cleaned. Next step is to paint the bottom and back of the tank black. Then install the 16" Synergy Reef Overflow. My bulkhead for the return should arrive tomorrow along with my plumbing material.

24404326655_e7a02e085a_c.jpg

Are you going bare bottom? You said you are painting the bottom so you have me wondering

Yep. I hate sand. It is a pain.

I am painting the outside bottom.

I got the tank bottom and back painted. Installed the ghost overflow. I had to take a pic from the side because from the front, you won't see the overflow well because it blends in with the back wall too well.

24124099180_814be18658_c.jpg

On another note: UPS let me down with my plumbing. They usually bring the package all the way to the hub near my home but decided to stop travel of my package an hour and 53 mins away at another hub. I was going to go pick it up from the hub near me today instead of delivery Tuesday but that plan failed.

Here is a small hint at the plan for this tank build since I won't have anything new to post until Tuesday night:

This tank will include at least 6 of this fish:

Gramma_loreto_03.jpg

Image Source: Google Image Search

How did you find the cleaning up process of the tank and drilling?

I did the same thing to my fusion 20 about a year ago . Cleanup wasn't bad at all , and drilling was just as easy as any other tank. Just slow , wet , and steady .

How did you find the cleaning up process of the tank and drilling?

Did you make a stand and sump

It's easy. You gotta just not be scared to do it otherwise you will make mistakes. I had practice on my old Nuvo 30L so it went very swiftly. You have to use brand new sharp razors to remove the silicone otherwise you will have a hard time. You will have to break the glass or you will not remove the AIO glass design. You will have to be careful and have a handle of the tool used to break the glass; I used some pliers and squeezed to apply pressure which broke the glass. From there, it is smooth sailing. Drilling was the same as with other tank as mentioned above. I was on edge about drilling this time because I bought a 2 1/2" diamond hole saw from homedepot that didn't recommend for glass on package. I tested it first on an old 7g glass tank and it passed. This is the one I used except in person, the diamond encrusted area looked smoother than it should have been:

d3e12381-87f8-4bc0-8e1a-3812d95ec67e_400

I almost bought that same brand bit but I chickened out and ordered an "aquarium safe" one.

Glad to hear that those work .

It works the same as the normal silver diamond hole saw we are used to.

Did you make a stand and sump

I just reused the IM SR 60 Stand that came with the tank. It is surprisingly sturdy and heavy. It's 1" thick MDF. I sealed the connections in stand with plastidip, removed the middle wall, braced the upper center (left to right) with a 1x3 board just for a little extra protection, and added corner braces to the front lip of the tank stand.

The sump will still be my Biotek Marine Cube Sump from my last build.

Anything special on the paint?

Love the dimensions on that thing.....I almost went with the Lagoon 50 but the AIO tanks I am over now ;) That overflow sure does look nice! Looking forward to see when it gets wet.....

Anything special on the paint?

Love the dimensions on that thing.....I almost went with the Lagoon 50 but the AIO tanks I am over now ;) That overflow sure does look nice! Looking forward to see when it gets wet.....

Nope just regular Satin Black spray paint. I add a layer of plastidip over it after it dried for extra protection.

Thanks!

Nope just regular Satin Black spray paint. I add a layer of plastidip over it after it dried for extra protection.

Thanks!

Ok I did the plastidip and it kind of worked......It took almost 6 coats or more to cover the back of my versa.

The plumbing, glue & putty for the aquascape, aluminum T-slot for my light mount, and one of my Hydra 52 HD arrived today.

24193926370_bae8f884ba_h.jpg

23862667133_efee3db3f8_h.jpg

I am currently in the process of plumbing the tank. The overflow has been completed:

24489884115_bdbfbbe663_h.jpg

I had to route my emergency overflow through the left side due to lack of space on the right side. It will just drain into the sump instead of directly at the filter sock.

24122140519_8f7aeacae0_h.jpg

What a sweet setup!

Thanks!

I gotta finish my light mount tomorrow. The company I ordered from split my shipments and one was delayed. I have to wait for my other 12" T-slot and 36" T-slot. Here is a pic of it so far:

24464087516_a8dc18f39e_b.jpg

24382006262_37bb7b0d6c_b.jpg

24122542149_56c20190e6_b.jpg

This is gonna be badass. You're gonna do 6 Grammas!?! That'll be really cool as long as they don't all go to war.

6 or 7. There will be anthias too; of course my male ventralis anthias. I will try to acquire some females

I was going to recommend Kessil AP700 for that tank but I see you already got the Hydra. The dimensions are perfect for the Kessil.

I didn't want to do kessils. The fixture is fine for some but not for me. It still has issues to work out as well.

Archived