SaltCritters.com

MarquiseO's Shallow 36"x24"x16" Reef Tank

ReviloM

I love the look of shallow reefs. I like the look of IM Nuvo SR 60 tanks but I dislike AIO. So my original plans were to get a custom tank built. I soon realized that a custom tank was not going to happen due to the sky high quotes from several big name tank builders. So my next best thing was DIY. Knowing that the IM SR60 had the exact dimensions I wanted, I checked everywhere for a used tank and finally stumbled upon one. Luckily, the person just wanted it gone so, she gave me a "Once in a life time" deal. I ended up with her complete setup.

I now have the tank at home and have begun my modifications to it.

Part 1: Breaking the IM Nuvo SR 60

Removed the acrylic overflow.

24051989580_147842601d_c.jpg

Started breaking the AIO glass portion.

24239351182_b26b515666_c.jpg

23979982319_1bcd779886_c.jpg

Minutes later......

24321575986_680beedea3_c.jpg

My next step will be to remove the silicone left from the AIO section glass.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you gut the 60!!!

I've been waiting to do that they having amazing dimensions

How hard was it

Yep!! ;)

It was really easy and only took about 5 mins. I used a sharp hawk blade razor and cut the silicone out line it. Removed the acrylic overflow portion. Outlined the outer glass wall behind the acrylic wall. Then broke the glass...carefully. It was downhill from there.

So you're de-AIO'ing and AIO? Sweet!

I like the concept of a self-contained tank and all equipment hidden away but each one I see winds up lacking in some way. But the sr60 is a beauty... like having a tide pool in your living room.

So vinegar-soaked newspaper next to remove that coraline crust?

So you're de-AIO'ing and AIO? Sweet!

I like the concept of a self-contained tank and all equipment hidden away but each one I see winds up lacking in some way. But the sr60 is a beauty... like having a tide pool in your living room.

So vinegar-soaked newspaper next to remove that coraline crust?

Next, I gotta remove the leftover silicone first. This is my projected order:

-Remove silicone left by AIO section

-Vinegar bath for tank

-Drilling tank for Synergy Reef 16" Overflow which I just purchased.

-Work on stand

-Work on plumbing and sump(new sump or old sump; I can't decide)

-Work on Aquascape

-Install new lights and other equipment

-Transfer Livestock from Old tank to new tank.

-Enjoy!

That's my timeline of events but it may not happen in that order.

Spiderguardnano

Do you find the silicone left a stain?

I was actually in the works of getting a custom corner overflow similar to how cadlights and Elos have there's and just removing the black thing in the back part

But I was just worried that the silicon might have stained the glass

Do you find the silicone left a stain?

I was actually in the works of getting a custom corner overflow similar to how cadlights and Elos have there's and just removing the black thing in the back part

But I was just worried that the silicon might have stained the glass

I haven't started removing that yet. I am too tired exhausted. It usually doesn't leave a stain. Even so, I can easily remove it with acetone or nail polish remover.

You should go for it and don't look back.

I want to do this to a CAD Lights 34G Mini Series with the bent glass; the back glass is higher than the sides for some reason and would not look great. If I found one second hand like you did I would be all over it. Good luck with the build!

Just wondering, why didn't you go with the cadlights 45g shallow?

The Cadlights 45gallon would have been a downgrade for me.

My goal was to increase room and gallons. Originally, I was going to get the Cadlights 68G Versa but Cadlights dropped the ball so I went this route.

I want to do this to a CAD Lights 34G Mini Series with the bent glass; the back glass is higher than the sides for some reason and would not look great. If I found one second hand like you did I would be all over it. Good luck with the build!

I was lucky enough to find one on Craigslist. That would be the first place I'd recommend you to check. I did have to drive an hour and 40 mins away to pick it up though. Thanks!

Looks great so far! What are your future plans for the tank?

In due time. I don't want to spoil it before hand. Follow along for the ride.

Very cool.

Funny to see someone going through such pains to remove the AIO when I was recently paying someone to make a custom acrylic AIO insert for a tank that didn't have one.

Very cool.

Funny to see someone going through such pains to remove the AIO when I was recently paying someone to make a custom acrylic AIO insert for a tank that didn't have one.

TBH it only took about 12 minutes total to remove all the AIO and silicone. I had practice on my 30L nuvo a while back.

Archived