Coral Vue Hydros

Cyano?

uwharrie

Not really a lot of snails as I only had a CUC of 25 mixed snails and hermits ( and that was months ago) My hermits took most of them out from what I could tell ( shell envy?)

This algae issue has just started in the last few weeks, but I did add two fish ( hawk and wrasse) a month ago

you mentioned you lost a lot of snails. how many? Do you think any are rotting? It doesn't seem like you feed a lot, but something is contributing nutrients to the algae. I'm with the others - boost up the clean up crew - a couple mexican turbos and some trochus. But i'm still wondering what the heck is fueling the algae.

Not really a lot of snails as I only had a CUC of 25 mixed snails and hermits ( and that was months ago) My hermits took most of them out from what I could tell ( shell envy?)

This algae issue has just started in the last few weeks, but I did add two fish ( hawk and wrasse) a month ago

Careful with this train of though, Dinos will Kill snails faster than you would think, which your hermits could then eat. So unless you saw them pull them off the rock id take that into consideration.

Dont get me wrong, im not trying to scare you into anything. Just sharing my opinion.

So I did a 10% water change, changed out the floss, Purgen and the Chempure Elite. Set the new powerhead up (RW-8)

even on low stuff is really blowing around hope it is not too much flow. Head is on the left between intakes pointing towards front glass. Return is still the stock Coraline.

will see about getting some more snails this weekend. oh and there was some skim in the cup today

So I did a 10% water change, changed out the floss, Purgen and the Chempure Elite. Set the new powerhead up (RW-8)

even on low stuff is really blowing around hope it is not too much flow. Head is on the left between intakes pointing towards front glass. Return is still the stock Coraline.

will see about getting some more snails this weekend. oh and there was some skim in the cup today

The RW8 is a LOTTA flow for sure for the biocube.

I wish I had gotten a 4! Do you think it might be better on the return side?

The RW8 is a LOTTA flow for sure for the biocube.

I wish I had gotten a 4! Do you think it might be better on the return side?

I actually think it might be too much - or can you have it go along the back wall so some of the flow dissipates through the tank? I have the RW4 running in my 66 right now while I wait for a new wet side for my MP40 and that actually is enough flow for the entire tank practically.

do you think it will be too much?

Not sure. It might be. Can you run it along the back wall?

Or can you exchange it for an RW4 by chance? I actually think the RW4 would be plenty in your cube.

amazon gift so doubt I can exchange. Not sure what you mean by along the back wall? pointing from side to side?

I actually think it might be too much - or can you have it go along the back wall so some of the flow dissipates through the tank? I have the RW4 running in my 66 right now while I wait for a new wet side for my MP40 and that actually is enough flow for the entire tank practically.

Not sure. It might be. Can you run it along the back wall?

Or can you exchange it for an RW4 by chance? I actually think the RW4 would be plenty in your cube.

amazon gift so doubt I can exchange. Not sure what you mean by along the back wall? pointing from side to side?

Yeah, so have it mounted on the glass pointing parallel to the back wall. it will push some of the flow from the back wall forward and then some flow will get pushed from the other side of the tank.

I moved the RW-8 to blow across the back wall. not as much turbulence now. I am seeing less algae on the rocks. And blowing off with the turkey baster where I can. Now to get my skimmer back working after last nights snafu. ( now needs a new air intake tube)

I think I am getting a handle on the algae growth. water changes twice a week, blowing off the rocks and coral daily with the turkey baster, feeding fish just once a day ( they are not happy) will get some additional snails this weekend and hopefully get the RODI system running. Still need to replace the air tube on the skimmer. I am starting to not like Hydor, They put no specs on their instruction manuals so I have no clue what the id is of the tubing. plan on taking it to the lfs to see if they have something that will match up

I moved the RW-8 to blow across the back wall. not as much turbulence now. I am seeing less algae on the rocks. And blowing off with the turkey baster where I can. Now to get my skimmer back working after last nights snafu. ( now needs a new air intake tube)

Great news!!! The diffused flow will be good for the tank I think!

I think I am getting a handle on the algae growth. water changes twice a week, blowing off the rocks and coral daily with the turkey baster, feeding fish just once a day ( they are not happy) will get some additional snails this weekend and hopefully get the RODI system running. Still need to replace the air tube on the skimmer. I am starting to not like Hydor, They put no specs on their instruction manuals so I have no clue what the id is of the tubing. plan on taking it to the lfs to see if they have something that will match up

A lot of the small skimmers I think just don't do much. I had the Tunze 9001 and it would skim, but skim wet so I had to empty the collection cup often. At the same time, I always wondered if it really did any more than just running media would do. I was happy once I started running a IM desktop reactor. That seemed to make more difference than the skimmer for me. I would feed 2x a day - a small amount of pellets in the morning and then some food for fish and coral at night. But I think it is good to get things under control for your tank and peace of mind then you can play around with the feeding a bit and find the right mix!

Got the skimmer working again. found out the id of the hose was the same as regular airline hose, so it is back up and running. I am thinking about running a reactor. Seems there are as many answers as to what works ( or does not) as there are questions out there. But the good thing about forums like this is folks are willing to share experience and opinions

I think I am making progress. Thanks to all the suggestions and advice! I still have a lot of algae to control but it seems to have slowed in growth significantly and I am seeing rock surface again

IMG_1120.jpg

And the Monti seems to be gaining some color back

IMG_1121.jpg

I think I am making progress. Thanks to all the suggestions and advice! I still have a lot of algae to control but it seems to have slowed in growth significantly and I am seeing rock surface again

IMG_1120.jpg

And the Monti seems to be gaining some color back

IMG_1121.jpg

Looks great!!!!

So my TDS meter arrived straight out of the tap it is 39ppm. not too bad. Got a Safret phosphate kit and will see what that shows. RO/DI system gets connected this weekend

So my TDS meter arrived straight out of the tap it is 39ppm. not too bad. Got a Safret phosphate kit and will see what that shows. RO/DI system gets connected this weekend

Were you using just tap water? I can't remember actually.

Just saw back on page one that you weren't using RODI. It's all connecting for me :) I would say that is most likely your cause for excess algae, etc. 39 ppm isn't huge for straight out of the tap, but it is more than what you'd want to use in your system. congrats on setting up the RODI!

Yeah so I think switching to RO/DI will help a lot... Though your tap is surprisingly low.

I would just keep doing as you're doing. Regular water changes, scrape the glass daily to remove the film algae, and it sounds like you have the flow covered :)

For the snails I would second a few turbo snails or trochus - preferably a few of each.

Good luck

Still some algae but not as bad. Mainly on my Zoa rocks darn it

IMG_1138.jpg

Water parameters

Salinity 1.026

Ca 420

Phosphate 0

DHh 11

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 0-2

Ph 8

So the Algae is under control on all but one rock. And of course that one has two Zoa clusters and another coral glued on it so taking it out for a soak or scrub is out. For some reason the crab and the snails have ignored this rock. I just keep blowing it off with the baster but not sure what else I can do to get it off this rock or just keep it under control and hope the emerald or the snails find it

Archived