Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

referjohn530s first tank

reeferjohn530

reeferjohn530

Hello everyone

This is my FIRST TANK. So I've started my cycle in a buck a gallon tank from petco. I got it for free so I was like, eh what the heck let's do a salt tank. After lurking for a while on nano reef I got the guts to go buy 15 lbs of live rock and ssand plus instant ocean reef salt. No biggy not a lot of money on my 10 so far. Hahaha was I hooked though so I went through looking for a new light for corals mostly beginner syuff.

Two hundred and something dollars later I picked up an AI Prime on impulse. I like the light and think it's going to do good on my tank. Impulsive buying continues.

10 dollar tank 200+ light why stop there. I was reading about flow and already have a ac50 stock but wanted something else and saw all these cool fan looking things on people's reef tanks so I inquired further and came home with a jebao rw-40. Probably paid premium price so I'll just leave that out but I NEEDED it. Impulses continue.

So this far in I'm like a half of a biocube double the cost. Including all the testers and extra goodies. Then... I had had enough of my topping off of water. The tank is in a old house with a wood stove and it's winter. Picked up this little beauty hydor ato. I liked the small footprint it is in the tank. 10 gallons only holds so much crap.

Here I am sitting on what I feel is the best way I could possibly pull this off. Started cycle 6 days ago and I think it's about mid cycle since ammonia is null and nitrites are at 5 ppm or more.

Any information on what I can do next or what I should be doing is very helpful. I also have been using aqua Vitro seed.

Thanks

2/23/2017 fts

Screenshot_20170218-145337_zpsfuij1izm.p

1/22/2017 fts

20170122_151335_zpsbsfcg1og.jpg

11/29/2016 fts

Screenshot_20161126-143720_zpstfvm9imb.p

• Like 2
fishfreak0114
:welcome: to n-r! Looks like you're off to a good start. My only suggestion is to move your rocks away from the walls because it will be a PITA to clean if you can easily access the glass (I made that mistake).
reeferjohn530

Went to my local habitat for humanity and picked up an old bookshelf for 5 bucks. Then went to the hardware store and grabbed up some spray paint and whalah. I got a nice little stand for 15 bucks.

1452631731545_zpsb7amm01u.jpg

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Thanks. I'll move them today I was going to get one of these nano algea scrapers but I'll take your advice

I use a mag float but my rocks touch the glass at one point and I can't clean there. I've tried a razor and a toothbrush with no luck. It'll save you a hassle in the long run if very thing is easily accessible. Nice stand also! :) it's always nice getting something that doesn't cost a kajillion dollars lol.
  • Like 2
reeferjohn530

Ammonia-.25

Nitrite- 2 ppm

Nitrate- @15 ppm

Last day of using AV seed today. Only 7 days needed. Gonna still test until everything hits zero. Should I do a water change? Or let it ride?

Also checked my gh today and found it extremely high, like 15 drops to get a reaction. I have been topping off with ro water but started my tank with my water from my well. I'm sure my well water is hard so that's why it read like that. I live in the Sierra mountains in California so it's mostly bedrock they drilled my well through. Probably packed with minerals and such. What can high gh do to a tank? I've read gh is about pH stability. My water pH is always 7.8

Have you ever gotten your well water tested? While I'm sure it does have a lot of good minerals, I would worry about copper and other high levels of things that you definitely don't want.

Did you do a water change? Going from 5ppm of nitrites to 0ppm in 24 hours seems very odd. Usually in the cycle you'll see a slow climb followed by an equal fall.

Could be diatoms, hard to tell from the picture. If you can blow them off with a turkey baster its diatoms.

reeferjohn530

No I never have had my water tested. I did a water change because I was worried about the water. I used ro water and only did 20%. But that was a couple days ago. And I've been topping off with ro water.i did use aquavitro seed I wonder if that has effected my cycle

I'm sure it sped up the cycle, but definitely shouldn't have that big of an impact. In general you want to save the water change till the very end because the spikes in ammonia and nitrite help the different groups of bacteria grow. Taking any of it out of the water will diminish the amount of bacteria and won't give you as "robust" of a cycle. I would keep feeding lightly and test in another day or so and make sure your nitrites don't spike again. If its all going straight to nitrates then you should be good to go! Just remember slow additions!

reeferjohn530

Cool I also started the tank with 2 lbs of very well cured live rock from my lfs. It was probably there for a few months or longer. Pretty much since I've been thinking about starting this tank. The rest came from a very good fish store about 30 min from me. My local didnt give me very good advice at first so i decided to go out of my area. This one has tons of corals and fish. They told me about what set up ill need as far as reef keeping. They even declined selling me livestock cause they knew it would be just issues in a new tank. I'll keep checking for a few days I added a turbo snail for now. Thanks

Simulated Fish

No I never have had my water tested. I did a water change because I was worried about the water. I used ro water and only did 20%. But that was a couple days ago. And I've been topping off with ro water.i did use aquavitro seed I wonder if that has effected my cycle

aquavitro seed is what i am using to cycle my dry rock and sand in my new tank. That is exactly what it is for, starting and maintaining a healthy bac population in our tanks. :D

• Like 2

aquavitro seed is what i am using to cycle my dry rock and sand in my new tank. That is exactly what it is for, starting and maintaining a healthy bac population in our tanks. :D

I'm aware :)

I was just concerned to see a steady rise of nitrites over a few days and then a sudden drop to 0.

You should be good to go, I just always preach caution in these cases until you are 100% sure. No one likes starting off with issues and we all know how hard it is to wait through the cycle.

• Like 2
reeferjohn530

I GOT DIATOMS!

I know it's nothing to worry about I'm just excited to get some life in the tank. I added 4 more snails one is a nassarius snail and 3 other smaller ones that eat algae(forgot the names). Hopefully everything goes smoothly for another week then I'll add some clown fish if everything stays stable.

reeferjohn530

Got a new tester yesterday up until then I was using a floating salinity tester. Picked this refractometer and I'm not disappointed. Salinity was right at 1.025! I tested it out at the fs with good a good laugh and some bets being tossed around with their water test but they were spot on also at the end of the day lol. So diatoms are slowly forming on the sand bed and water tests keep coming back zero.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...