SaltCritters.com

(07/08 Showpiece Fish) OMW's - 33 LONG - Custom AIO, mixed reef

olemanwinter

Yeah, me too. It was after a recent (couple months ago) order from reefcleaners. Never had that happen either, but figured some of the Florida Ceriths were a little weak from the journey & fell from the glass into the coral. I was conflicted at first, but then figured I'd give it a bit to see if they'd spit out the shell after consuming the snail. Couldn't find the shells next to the coral, so figured it was just natural selection! It happened a week or so apart & after my Lobo ate the first one, I didn't concern myself when I saw another sticking out of the Acan's mouth.

I didn't have to wait another day. The brain already spit out the shell on it's own. I guess it ingested what it wanted and then littered by sandbed with another empty shell. And it was a "dwarf cerith" snail.

Very nice! I love blennies too and have had several also. Amazingly I have only had a single 6 line wrasse. I don't know why but your new wrasse is a beauty!

I've never had a 6 line. Heard too many stories of them being downright evil. I always like wrasses thought. Flashers and Fairies are great but my favorite are from the Halichoeres genus (Melanurus, Richmond's, Christmas Wrasse, Dusky wrasse, etc) They are just as pretty as the leopard wrasses (which I've kept) but not nearly as fragile.

I was thinking about one of those for this tank, but I've grown pretty fond of all my little inverts.

• Like 2

Hey man where did you get that aio kit? I checked over at oceanbox but all they have is the one for the 20long. Let me know this is exactly what I was planning to do once I move this summer.

Marc.The.Shark

I didn't have to wait another day. The brain already spit out the shell on it's own. I guess it ingested what it wanted and then littered by sandbed with another empty shell. And it was a "dwarf cerith" snail.

LOL, sweet. I'm sure that's what happened to mine too, then. Must have spit it out. So many shells laying around, couldn't tell! haha. Glad it worked out. We have a "new" live food source for our coral now, I'm gonna order a hundred! :)

• Like 1

Hey man where did you get that aio kit? I checked over at oceanbox but all they have is the one for the 20long. Let me know this is exactly what I was planning to do once I move this summer.

I got it from Oceanbox. Send him a PM with your specs and a description of what you want. That's what I did.

I think he put those 20L and 12L up as examples just to inspire people (and because they are common tanks) but I still think he makes them to order, so the price is the same or about the same even if you want a different design I believe.

But mine is a design I came up with for myself B)

I didn't want to lose any of my length.

LOL, sweet. I'm sure that's what happened to mine too, then. Must have spit it out. So many shells laying around, couldn't tell! haha. Glad it worked out. We have a "new" live food source for our coral now, I'm gonna order a hundred! :)

They cost me .17 per from KP Aquatics. So, that's $11.70 for a hundred. That's less that it cost for a pack of LRS frozen. You may be onto something there.

• Like 1

Well, I'm pretty frustrated. My Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse is missing.

He showed no signs whatsoever of any problem. Active, eating everything, fat and happy, no aggression, no disease, etc.

He was out three nights ago, but the next morning was nowhere to be found. I hoped maybe he was just hiding in a rock or something. I have read that fairy wrasses will sometimes hide when going through a growth spurt. But after 3 days now, I think it's safe to consider him a gonner.

I'm quite bummed. Not having very good luck with wrasses in this tank.

I have a net top over the tank with 1/2" holes. Too big for something like a firefish but I think it should have kept the Fairy wrasse in. I looked everywhere for him out of the tank.

I wish he did jump, because then at least that would make sense.

So, I'm thinking about ordering another Lubbock's online or maybe a Melanurus Wrasse. Or maybe both. My stocking plans are not going as smoothly as I had hoped. Not sure what my next step will be.

Otherwise everything is going good, except for some yellow polyps which are slowly receding and I'm not sure why.

I got 7 gorgonians from Sealife Inc and 6 are healthy. 1 has never opened and I just removed one of the branches that was rotting and gently brushed the rest of it hoping to save it. Strangely I have another of the exact same species that shipped fine and opened right away.

I think I'll do a 3 month tank overview video soon.

• Like 1

Sorry for the loss, I've lost a fair share as well but usually due to the fact I have ich in the tank. Do you feed heavier when you get a new fish? I find if they show a good appetite at the store AND I can get them to pig out in my tank then survival rates are good. I tend to feed extra heavy after adding new fish because of this.

Dang, sorry to hear about the wrasse! I hope he surprises you and magically reappears like my green banded goby did the other day for me fingerscrossed

I hope so too, except if I buy another one, then there will be some fireworks. lol

• Like 1

Sorry for the loss, I've lost a fair share as well but usually due to the fact I have ich in the tank. Do you feed heavier when you get a new fish? I find if they show a good appetite at the store AND I can get them to pig out in my tank then survival rates are good. I tend to feed extra heavy after adding new fish because of this.

I really feed pretty heavy all the time. I feed usually no less than twice a day anyway (often 3 times) and when I get a new fish I might push that up to 4 times.

My water quality doesn't seem to suffer ad I like keeping everyone fat and happy. I do pull out a lot of skimmate as a result. I empty the collection cup about every 48-72hours.

I generally feed flake twice a day, pellet once a day (most days), and some frozen LRS fish frenzy a couple times a week. I'll also hatch some live brine every so often.

It's hard to imagine he starved. And it's hard to imagine something ate his body and I couldn't find it. I keep thinking he either jumped and I'm not finding him or he is hiding in a rock. Maybe he died while hiding in a rock. I dunno. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ But it's frustrating.

• Like 2

I still make custom AIO inserts, that hasn't change. The 20L AIO kit is available because it is a standard tank. There is no one size fit all so the only way is to custom built to your specific tank (non-standard) and/or equipment you're planning on running. When you're ready, just send me the dimensions you need and we'll get it rolling.

• 2 weeks later...

14 week update video featuring some new corals, new gorgonians, and some decent footage of the High Fin Goby/Pistol Shrimp pair.

https://youtu.be/vqNlTlTQiu8

All the advertisements for pregnancy videos are pretty hilarious. I guess that's what I get for calling it a 14 week update instead of a 3 1/2 month update. :lol:

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
olemanwinter

Bastard Crab.

He just looks like an A-hole. Just look at his face and you can almost hear him go, "Yeah, I ate your stupid polyps. Deal with it."

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
olemanwinter

This thread wasn't getting much attention, but I don't want to abandon it completely.

My showpiece fish: Atlantic Longnose Butterflyfish.

HxQ90VL.jpg

• Like 3
olemanwinter

A little bit more about the Atlantic Longnose Butterflyfish.

They stay small at only 4.5" total length and are recommended for a 50 gallon minimum tank size. Even though I have a smaller 33 gallon tank, I think I can get away with it because of the 48" footprint. So far he seems very much at home (several weeks in the display).

He is listed as "reef safe with caution", but so far hasn't bothered any coral in the tank. He hunts constantly for critters to eat and eats frozen Reef Frenzy as well as some occasional flake. He clearly loves the frozen worms in the mix the most, so I think I'll start getting some live blackworms for him as well.

He's very calm and not very skittish either. He's very curious by nature. It's fun to watch him swim at all kinds of weird angles and upside down trying to explore every single piece of rock.

He gets picked on by the Cherub angel some, but I think it's pretty harmless. He's extremely fast so, if the angel starts to chase him he just zips across the tank in an instant and the angel is just sitting there looking dumb. Alternatively, sometimes the Butterfly will just "flex" his spines at the angel and he will immediately leave him alone. That's one reason I don't worry much about the chasing, because the Butteflyfish obviously has the ability to end the harassment any time he wants.

Definitely one of the coolest fish I've ever had and my first Butterflyfish.

5EDAG5T.jpg

• Like 3
olemanwinter

Incredible fish! Really under rated imo

I agree. I was surprised how little info was out there when I started researching. I found all the basic info, but usually you can find 100 threads with people giving their history and impressions from owning the fish. I found just a couple of little anecdotes.

It was kind of expensive, about twice as much as a Yellow Longnose or Copperband Butterflyfish, so maybe that's why.

Well worth the difference in cost so far, being relatively easy to feed, completely reef safe, and staying small.

• 1 month later...

Need an update on your tank, How is the Odyssea 4x54w working out for you.

I am in the process of setting up a 33 long and trying to decide on what lighting to get.

• 8 months later...