inTank Media Baskets

How would you interpret my Nitrate levels

adept

I've had my 20g tank for 1 year now. For the longest time, I consistently measured 0ppm Nitrate. Not sure what happened, but about 2-3 months ago I switched to a Salifert test kit and started measuring 10-25ppm... however I have a really hard time interpreting these results.

RfEOO5B.jpg?1

The API kits read on their side show between 0-5ppm, and I know that is how they are supposed to be read.

The Salifert kit shows very close to 5 ppm if I put it on its side, but I can't really discern the "high range reading" as it is supposed to be read from directly above.

I ran a control test on newly mixed water and got the expected 0 ppm (thankfully).

cUIDROW.jpg?1

I should mention that my tank has seen a lot of snail death. In particular, ~2 months ago a fighting conch snail died. That sucker was big. I can see how this could lead to high nutrient levels, even if I have brittle worms swooping in to clean up the bodies.

Also, I am consistently changing out my water volume ~10-20% every week, but have been unable to get back to 0 ppm Nitrates.

My other levels are good - Phosphate is zero.

Your Salifert should be better than API. That's how it's supposed to be read. Look from above and place it on the white next to corresponding color.from your picture it looks like 25ppm . Do some WC and give the tank a throughout clean up. Should come down ..

Archived