Pod Your Reef

Clown fish breathing heavy?

Rpc07

I have a pair of clowns for a few days now. Yesterday I took the word of my lfs and bought a purple stripe dottyback. I didn't witness any aggression but it's possible. After reading horror stories online I decided to net the dotty back and bring him back. Tonight my clown won't eat and looks like he is breathing heavy. Could this be due to all the activity? I had to move a good amount of rock to get the dotty back out.

As a side not I will not be returning to that lfs.

Just did a parameter check. Everything looks good here are the results.

Temp 79.5

Sg 1.025

Ph 7.8-8.0

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 10

Phosphate .25

Calcium 360 mg/l

Kh 8

I also googled this problem and saw it could be to low oxygen so I aimed the return more at the top of the water to get a nice ripple.

The fish doesn't seem to be gasping much anymore and is out and about swimming more so maybe it was just stress related from the dottyback?

Any help is appreciated. Thank, Ryan

Simulated Fish

Just did a parameter check. Everything looks good here are the results.

Temp 79.5

Sg 1.025

Ph 7.8-8.0

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 10

Phosphate .25

Calcium 360 mg/l

Kh 8

I also googled this problem and saw it could be to low oxygen so I aimed the return more at the top of the water to get a nice ripple.

The fish doesn't seem to be gasping much anymore and is out and about swimming more so maybe it was just stress related from the dottyback?

Any help is appreciated. Thank, Ryan

Looks like your taking the right steps. New tank mates can cause a ton of stress. On top of that a tornado hit his home ;) keep a close eye and try to feed again tomorrow.

Archived