Pod Your Reef

HOB fuge set up

Ephemeral

I have an unmodified Aquaclear 110 that I may like to use as a fuge for my 25g reef-bound tank (see sig). My tank currently has live rock and a powerhead (no mechanical filtration).

I would like to keep things as simple and quiet as possible and don't want to add gadgets and devices unless there is a clear advantage. For example, I do have a heater and ATO but - emotional opinion trigger warning! - I will not be adding a skimmer. I have no problem with doing weekly water changes with a tank of this size.

Given my position, do you - my mentors - feel that adding this HOB fuge is in my best interests? Should it be set up with a ball of chaeto, filter floss, carbon and GFO in mesh bags, etc?

Hi there Ephemeral,

So I see you are looking at using an Aquaclear 110. That HOB filter would be great for bags (filled with Matrix and Phosguard). In effect, you could turn that HOB filter into a media reactor at very little cost. An added benefit is that you'd increase your water turnover drastically which really helps with CO2 export and oxygenation. This will also help with your pH.

I was just discussing macro-algae refugiums with someone else. My opinion is that unless a fuge (in the typical use with macro-algae) is of substantial size, it is probably more effort and cost than it is worth. It adds an extra point of maintenance and it doesn't really pay for itself. Small refugiums can't really provide enough growth of pods to support critters such as Mandarins, and they don't really absorb enough nutrients to provide good filtration of the water. A small ball of chaetomorpha really doesn't take up much nutrients and the setup for something like that is kind of high in cost when you consider that you'd need lighting specifically for the macro algae. There's a large debate over whether refugiums are worth the effort and cost, and that debate is discussing larger refugiums, not the smaller ones that you'd find in nano setups.

Hope this helps!

Archived