Pod Your Reef

Back at it 1 Gallon

DulcyDoll

Hi! A few years back I started a jbj picotope up, it ran for 13 months before lack of time made me decide to tear it down. Since time has need freed up, I'm diving back in!! I started the new pico on 12/1, so it is still VERY new at just a week old.

I have some diatoms forming on the sand and rock already. I used new sand, and some pieces of dry rock with a few chunks of live rock from my 24gallon. Probably around 2lbs worth all together.

Equipment:

A little over 1 gallon acrylic tank

2 lbs mixed live/dry rock

2 lbs Oolite fine grain sand

Pictope stock filter(may upgrade to the AC50)

Merina Betts bowl submersible heater, 8 watts

Par38 led bulb

ATO- aqualifter/digital timer

Stocking Plans:

Zoanthids/Palythoa

Mushrooms

Acans

Green clown go by

Porcelain crab.

Not in love with the scape, but it'll do for now.

0107161921_zpssnexhx4f.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So, there have been some pretty drastic changes!! First, the 1 gallon would not keep a steady temp, I tried 3 different heaters and they all put the temp well above 80*F. So, I dug the old 3 gallon picotope out of the shed, and did some moving. I pulled a nice big piece, probably 4lbs, of rock that had been in my nanocube for about 2 years for this tank. I love the shape of it and it has nice natural caves for future livestock, it's also covered in about 3 dozen tiny red featherdusters. I threw in a few extra pieces of rubble to fill in and dress it up a little. Switched to the AC50 filter, and the Beta heater keeps it at a constant 78*F.

I added a few soft hardy corals, a browned out mushroom, some green plays and a 5 polyp frag of green zoas that haven't opened up in over 2 weeks in the nanocube. Also added Florida cerith.

At this stage, I'm pretty happy with it. Going to wait until some of this snow melts to put in a coral order to fill this thing up!

0124161608b2_zpsukr6oypz.jpg

0124161605_zps3o542e6p.jpg

Tank is doing well, staying stable. I went shopping today, got a small zoa rock, probably about 40 polyps, a purple mushroom and some brittle star freebies. Also moved a lava lamp mushroom over from the 24gal currently residing in a jar with some rubble until he attaches.

0130161413b_zpsil4t47dd.jpg

0130161413c_zpsliqamot5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I got pox ?. Half of my so as haven't been opening, on further inspection, I found a few pox on some of them. Popped them and dipped in Furan 2, hoping I caught it early enough to keep them all healthy. They all opened today, so that's a good sign. Also have some kind of hitchhiker on the same rock, I have no clue what it is. Soft on the outside but it feels solid on the inside, has to little "mouths" that open, and close when disrupted. Guess I'll wait and see what happens with it. No real other changes, added some snails from a fresh RC shipment, and 2 mangroves. Got a hermit in with the dwarf ceriths, so he became the first inhabitant. He may not last long though, he has already murdered a cerith to steal his shell.

Everything has been staying very stable in this tank(unlike my 24, which I am thinking I'll switch over to fish only, since I can't even keep GSP alive in it)

My zoas, you can kind of see the hitchhiker it's a brownish red "thing" on the top left by the zoas.

0207161103b_zpsau0umbxu.jpg

And the hermit

0207161103a_zps5osmcuq1.jpg

Archived