Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

ac70 and ac110 overflow/skimmer boxes - gauging interest

cromag27

I should have working prototypes done this weekend. just gauging interest in these. the previous guy that was making these is no longer making them and I read that he left a lot of customers high n dry on a lot of products.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would be interested depending on the price on an AC70 overflow box for my 10g. And quality... Let's make the quality high and price low? :lol:

These are smaller items so I'll most likely use a table saw and table router. I have access to a cnc router and laser cutter, but I find it's not really worth it unless I'm cutting a lot of round holes that need to be evenly spaced.

I'll post photos once I have them finished. should be this weekend.

gulfsurfer101

Have you been able to get clean bonds out of laser cut acrylic. Crazing seems to be a bit of a problem. I was looking into getting a laser printer but would rather put it towards a cnc router. Small cuts seem to do fine on a table saw but I would like to get into large sump design.

Have you been able to get clean bonds out of laser cut acrylic. Crazing seems to be a bit of a problem. I was looking into getting a laser printer but would rather put it towards a cnc router. Small cuts seem to do fine on a table saw but I would like to get into large sump design.

The laser heats up the acrylic and changes its structure. no clean cuts with laser and certainly not what I'd consider a "prepped" edge for welding. I use them for holes when I get lazy and don't want to use my drill press for 50 holes I'm a frag rack.

Can you do magnet mount and clear acrylic back side for an ATO?

These will be magnet mount and yes, I can do a clear back. didn't know people used these on atos.

You'd need to laser cut heavy and then use a router to plane the edge; laser cutting doesn't give very nice edges at all... not with out more work. The cone shape of the laser also tapers the cut a degree or so which causes headaches on thicker pieces of acrylic.

With that said you can't beat a laser to cut teeth and details that won't be bonded.

I should have working prototypes done this weekend. just gauging interest in these. the previous guy that was making these is no longer making them and I read that he left a lot of customers high n dry on a lot of products.

I am interested for a QT setup. Get to work bro!

The laser heats up the acrylic and changes its structure. no clean cuts with laser and certainly not what I'd consider a "prepped" edge for welding. I use them for holes when I get lazy and don't want to use my drill press for 50 holes I'm a frag rack.

These will be magnet mount and yes, I can do a clear back. didn't know people used these on atos.

Thats great. And yeah, I have the smart ATO so I know I would have to have a clear back to put the sensor in the box.

OK, so I've had a lot of messages asking about prices. I've decided to offer the first production run at: AC70 - $35 shipped and AC110 - $45 shipped. have more testing to do this weekend and production could start as early as next week. I'll post photos of the final products then start taking orders for the first run. once those are sold I anticipate the prices increasing, but still lower than anyone else.

Magnets. I'm still experimenting with the type however. I'm hoping to use high grade ceramic magnets, which are reef safe. neodymium magnets are not reef safe and require a water -tight enclosure to avoid contaminating the water. these enclosures almost always fail over time. and if black acrylic is used, you'll never know if there is a leak.

Shaner014

Newstead

Harrypotter

Stash98

Joey13254

Gena

Tmr8188

Bubba30 - size?

I have a prototype of the AC70 done, just waiting for a new shipment of magnets to come in.

Shaner014

Newstead

Harrypotter

Stash98

Joey13254

Gena

Tmr8188

Bubba30 - size?I have a prototype of the AC70 done, just waiting for a new shipment of magnets to come in.

70; you got any pictures yet?

Here's the prototype. I did notice one issue when I went to dry fit it to the filter. the back piece is too thick for those of you wh like to push your filters all the way back. I'm going to try it again with a piece of 1/8" abs. I'm also going to beep lace the bottom piece with 1/8" abs to save on weight. you'll notice the teeth on the side strut differently. this is also to accommodate those who want to push their filters forwards or backwards. trying tonnage this one-size-fits-all. any suggestions?

Inside dimensions are 3 x 3 x 5. teeth are 1.5 tall.

IMAG0141_zpsuqqwlrcs.jpg

Archived