Top Shelf Aquatics

yellow watchman goby

Aurortpa

Only have had my yellow watchman goby for about a week. Instead of hiding in his hole, he decided to go exploring and rest on the rock work today. Typically my ywg's in past tanks just stay near their holes--so I whipped out the camera for this possibly rare moment in my tank, lol.

He ate some pellets yesterday but didn't grab any today while he was out and about. Gonna keep a closer eye on him jic. Otherwise, all parameters seem to be in order...ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates 0, ph 8.0, and temp is 77 with a spg of 1.025.

post-90071-0-77305600-1452095277_thumb.jpg

Nope, just have a golden CBS and a cleaner shrimp right now, lol. I've increased water flow and changed the polyfilter in my sump just as a precaution. Besides swimming all over still, he doesn't appear to have any other signs that may indicate stress--color is good, breathing normal, and reacts cautiously to my presence. I know they act weird sometimes but this is really not behavior I've seen.

I'd like a pistol shrimp in the future, just need to research whether they are compatible with my existing shrimp. My favorite being the golden CBS (super tiny--like an inch long body).

post-90071-0-91391200-1452097490_thumb.jpg

So, I thought my little yellow watchman was going crazy at night lately, darting around the tank and swimming towards the surface. I couldn't find him the past couple days and was getting a little concerned, although instinct told me he was just hiding somewhere my flashlight couldn't reach. Today I went through the terrible task of unscrewing what felt like a hundred screws in my hood to dust off my light cover, moreover the more horrible task of trying to re-align the rubber gasket to the cover and glass afterwards.

When to my surprise, I suddenly found little "Newman" from an overhead view, sitting on the top most rock. Seems he found a hole in there he likes for now. Kind of weird for me, cause most of my YWGs liked homes under foundation rocks sitting on the substrate!

post-90071-0-83261100-1452323460_thumb.jpg

If they don't have their pistol shrimp, they act really strange. They'll pair with either a Tiger or Randalls pistol shrimp. I have one in QT that's with a Randalls and one in another tank with a huge Tiger.

Mine would get on top of the rockwork and "watch" over an emerald crab until he got "his" Randalli. But sometimes at night I see him come out of their tunnel and swim around the tank hunting pods.

• 2 weeks later...

i have a ywg and have had it about 5 years, super hardy fish, he spends a lot of time in view. doesnt seem to mind me but it hides from others. Two days ago i added a Pistol shrimp, they became instant friends, even to were the ywg is back behind the scenes a lot with the shrimp while it borrows a small city under all my rockwork.

my shrimps neither of the ones above, it looks like this one http://www.liveaquaria.com/images/categories/product/p-39414-Pistol-Shrimp.jpg, and its int he tank with a banded coral shrimp,

Archived