Coral Vue Hydros

Terry's 15gal column office desktop tank

no694terry

So some things went terribly wrong today. I emptied tank, washed it out then tried to spray on some black touch up to the side where power heads wore through etc. Well the paint melted the old paint and one thing turned to another, the xylene came out, more troubles began. By the end of my lunch break I had a mess. Most of the paint is gone now all together and some of the trim has like a paint slurry dried onto it. Its a mess. BUT i think i can fix it but I have to take it home now to do so

• Like 1

All cleaned up and ready to go. Just need some contents. And i had a new idea, Im going to get a 1 1/8" paddle bit and counterbore some holes into the live rocks. This will give the frag plugs a nice cozy spot to sit in flush with the surface.

20161228_075554-X3.jpg

20161228_075707-X3.jpg

• Like 1

BRS has a 30 pound minimum on the jumbo pukani. That is a lot of rock to purchase and ship.

What you might do instead is just send BRS an email and give them the dimensions of the size you want. I have done this before, and they were very helpful in getting me what I wanted.

Sand is in. I got to nervous about what i would get with pukani sizes so i went with reef saver from BRS, 20 pounds. Tank has such a small foot print, ill need easy stacking options. 10 pounds of sand is nearly 2" deep. I left a message on the order for either a nice big rock that would stand up nice or smaller rocks to stack. and gave them tank dimensions. I dont expect them to get that personal but we'll see.

20161229_135312-X2.jpg

• Like 1

rock is in. shipping box says 25 pounds. Came as 3 rocks in a bag. And into the 15 they went. That puts me up to 35 pounds of rock and sand in the 15 gallon. and 1200gpm of turn over.

20170103_115912-X2.jpg

• Like 2

Tanks almost full. Turns out it holds 13 gallons of water, i thought 12 was enough. So i'm about a gallon shortly. Still deep enough to run turn on all the gear. Just noisy and micro bubble city from the 1" drop off the AC70

20170104_142157-X2.jpg

• Like 1

all topped off ready to begin cycle.

I'm going to try a different method. Going to dose pure ammonia and bio-spira. going to start at 1ppm ammonia. Add biospira and then daily dose to 2ppm. I assume after a couple days that each day it should be back to 0ppm ammonia and i should be seeing nitrites and then nitrates. Once i see nitrates, I will add small amounts of ammonia only to feed the bacteria until i get fish.

20170105_084456-X2.jpg

• Like 1

I added the bio spira yesterday. saw maybe a slight green hint of ammonia on test kits and no other levels looked elevated.

Today the slight hint is gone, but nitrates are around 15ppm. Not sure from what, the tank was "sterile" before i added bio spira.

I added a bag of carbon today to colonize. And will recheck parameters monday

• Like 1

Like the new rocks! Looking forward to seeing this tank come back to life.

What are you planning for a water change schedule on this tank going forward? My goal was to do a 2-3 gallon weekly change on my office 6 gallon tank, but there were definitely weeks were I skipped them. You could always tell how much better the tank did when I kept up on water changes, but dragging water from home every week is certainly a pain.

ok so little updates. I put the bio-spira in last week. I saw a nitrate spike the next day but that was pretty much it. Then I started thinking, if the product is nothing more than nitrifying bacteria, then they will start to need food to survive. I couldn't find surfacant free ammonia so on monday I got a Regal damsel, and i fed it a him. Mr Regal zipped around the tank and ate all the food. Except a peelt or two that fell into the sand. I checked levels again yesterday and still all good. 0 everything. So this morning i brought from home a hermit covered in coralline and a small nassaurius. The hermit immediately went for the pellet in the sand and the nassaurius just buried its self and went back to sleep.

Today however the water is a bit cloudy, cant quite tell if its microbubbles from me cleaning the skimmer yesterday or if its some sort of bacteria bloom from feeding the tank. I'll keep checking levels everyday but it appears the biospira may have worked as advertised and gave me a decent base of bacteria to handle a small bioload.

• Like 1

ok so little updates. I put the bio-spira in last week. I saw a nitrate spike the next day but that was pretty much it. Then I started thinking, if the product is nothing more than nitrifying bacteria, then they will start to need food to survive. I couldn't find surfacant free ammonia so on monday I got a Regal damsel, and i fed it a him. Mr Regal zipped around the tank and ate all the food. Except a peelt or two that fell into the sand. I checked levels again yesterday and still all good. 0 everything. So this morning i brought from home a hermit covered in coralline and a small nassaurius. The hermit immediately went for the pellet in the sand and the nassaurius just buried its self and went back to sleep.

Today however the water is a bit cloudy, cant quite tell if its microbubbles from me cleaning the skimmer yesterday or if its some sort of bacteria bloom from feeding the tank. I'll keep checking levels everyday but it appears the biospira may have worked as advertised and gave me a decent base of bacteria to handle a small bioload.

I have been using biospira for probably 10+ years. Its a good product for getting a tank's cycle kicked started or when transferring a tank with inhabitants keeping the mini cycle controllable.

Im glad you have had good luck with it. I know the rule of thumb is patience but if all your waintg for is the nitrifying bacteria to populate while added junk to the water to form ammonia, then why not just manually add the bacteria, ditch the wait and SLOWLY build up the biofilter

the cloudiness went away since this morning. maybe it was just some kicked up sand dust

• Like 1

4 days in feeding the damsel. If levels stay 0 for like this another week I'm going to go find a zoa or mushroom rock for the open spot in sand bed. Aquaworld usually has a nice selection

20170112_075312-X4.jpg

• Like 1