ReefCleaners.org

Looking for sump ideas or a good kit to purchase!

gulfsurfer101

gulfsurfer101

I'm looking for some good diy ideas for building my 20t sump or a link to a good kit! I really like the look of the synergy sumps but not looking to drop a fortune. I have a 20t, table saw, router, dremel, hole saw bits, heat gun and just about every other tool needed to get the job done and plastic is cheap enough to get a few baffles cut to size however I want to run a sock and refugium. I'd like to see pics of what you guys have done and the size of tank your using.

This isn't a DIY sump obviously but I like the layout of the new eshopps refugium/sump and it is the same dimensions as a 20g so I thought maybe it could give you some ideas. The refugium is basically a floating 11Lx7Wx11.5H chamber which I thought was a cool design and has two slots to allow water to enter the refugium before the filter sock. The inlet and filter sock section is also completely enclosed which helps reduce noise quite a lot.

20151218_192612.jpg

20151218_193023.jpg

Oceanbox designs makes a nice kit that I think would allow for a refugium and a filter sock holder can probably be added.

+1, I love my Oceanbox sump kit. Can't beat the price either. I have the original 20 long (blue one) with a an empty chamber 1, fuge with 1 rock, chaeto, red titan in second chamber, filter sponge and chemi pure in the media rack between bubble trap, and obviously return pump in the last chamber. In the future I might add a skimmer in the first or maybe an area for mangroves. I run two returns both with filter socks, one into the fuge area the other into the first chamber but I just made a cheesy way to hold them out of egg crate.

gulfsurfer101

I checked with oceanbox design and the quote I got to do a 20t as out of my price range. I did however manage to pick up some translucent blue acrlic for baffling and smoky translucent acrylic for the filter sock holder. I picked up some half inch squar acrylic as well. I thought I could incorporate it into my build. I ordered some glass drilling bits to come in through the side of the 20l. From the the penetration I'll run a Tee then double 90's into two filter socks. I'll have that compartment covered to keep splash and sound down.

gulfsurfer101

I was able to pick up a bunch of scrap acrylic including smoke transparent and blue translucent acrylic from a local shop along with some half inch square rod acrylic and a used acrylic cutting blade all for 25 bucks even. The old guy who owns that place hooked your boy up!

CronicReefer

I was able to pick up a bunch of scrap acrylic including smoke transparent and blue translucent acrylic from a local shop along with some half inch square rod acrylic and a used acrylic cutting blade all for 25 bucks even. The old guy who owns that place hooked your boy up!

Good luck with the build

If those are acrylic baffles going into a glass tank, remember to leave a little room for the acrylic to expand as it absorbs water.

Sounds like you are going to have a lot of 90s in there, that adds a bunch of restrictions. Not sure how oversized your drains are or if you planned on having to throttle the flow back a bit, but it's just something to think about.

gulfsurfer101

If those are acrylic baffles going into a glass tank, remember to leave a little room for the acrylic to expand as it absorbs water.

Sounds like you are going to have a lot of 90s in there, that adds a bunch of restrictions. Not sure how oversized your drains are or if you planned on having to throttle the flow back a bit, but it's just something to think about.

My internal flow will be provided by a few rw-4's throught the dt! I'll be running a 650gph pump with head loss taken into account and a turf scrubber in my plans from a manifold style overflow it'll be more like 450gph. I'll have to test everything out once I get my tank set up but my main goals are effectivenes, silence, and aesthetic viewing!

gulfsurfer101

Nice!

Sounds well thought out.

Thanks man! It's still in it's infancy of the planning stage. I know how I want to start but will most likely wing it once I start!

I tend to over plan and calculate everything out before I start. I enjoy that part as much as the actual build. But sometimes you just need a well defined idea and just go for it. Too much planning delays starting the project and occasionally prevents it from ever getting off the ground. Sometimes the unplanned build results in some new ideas that work better than you could have planned.

I ended up finding a book on designing aquarium equipment (took years to finally find it, I was beginning to think it was a myth). Most of the ideas in the book are considered outdated now because they aren't as flashy as the new gadgets, but they formed the basis for the newer stuff. It has lots of good info for calculating flow rates and restrictions. I've been able to design some things that were spot on first time around using that book as a reference. It's pretty awesome when everything works out just the way you planned it.

Good luck with the build.

Brother planning the build to the T will really help it run lots smoother. I did a 3D rendering of my sump using sketch up with the exact measurements and it really brought the sump to life.

gulfsurfer101

I do instrumentation tubing for a living so calculating flow rate, head loss, & flow reduction will all be taken into account. The part that concerns me the most is making the baffling system effective and nice!

• 2 weeks later...
gulfsurfer101

Completed!

Total cost of everything put together!

Tank-$21

Acrylic-$15

Silicone-$5

Filter socks-$8

The end result!

20160118_112940_zpsdjn0hzzx.jpg

Archived