ReefCleaners.org

Moai of the Sea!

Sk8n Reefer

Awesome, you know I will

Cool, a website? Send it over I'd like to check out all he has

No website I picked it up off R2R. I will find the link and shoot it your way.

• Like 1

No website I picked it up off R2R. I will find the link and shoot it your way.

Got it, thanks?

Good to see things getting back under foot in this tank. Keep up the stability!

Thanks man, ya lost all of my corals from Nick so as soon as I am ready I am calling him up

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey Scott, thinking about your tank and hoping everything is ok.

Thanks Dawn, still fighting the Dino's - I thought I was making good progress but then it always tends to get bad during the week. Still really frustrated wondering if I should just pull the corals and place in a holding tank and start over? ?

• Like 1

Thanks Dawn, still fighting the Dino's - I thought I was making good progress but then it always tends to get bad during the week. Still really frustrated wondering if I should just pull the corals and place in a holding tank and start over?

I am sorry that you are still fighting dinos. That is disheartening for sure. You have been at it for quite a while now so maybe it is time to consider a more drastic approach like starting over. The biggest thing will be keeping the corals in a stable enviroment until the tank is ready again.

I am still fighting cyano on my sandbed. Its frustrating but not as discouraging as what you are fighting. I have it controlled but can't seem to get rid of it. I have thought about going to a bare bottom tank but that means rehoming Cukes, my cucumber, some nassarius snails and a burrowing shrimp. I wished I had painted the bottom of the tank before I had set it up also since I don't really like the looks of a plain bb tank. I have to think on it some more.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

How hard would it be to pull the corals and cook the rock ? Or is the rock worth it ? Maybe just new rock ?

Sucks you are still dealing with the crap.

There's some pretty life on the rocks - coral morphs etc. so I can't bring myself to it. I may start back with the peroxide this weekend - I stopped that about 3 months ago and things have gotten worse. It didn't seem to be helping at the time but maybe it was ?

Found my yasha goby lying on my screen this morning ? That's a hard one- can't believe he fit through the screen- he was a pretty good size. That one hurts - such a beautiful fish.

Sorry to hear.

Honestly if it were me, I think I'd hit the reset button. Spinning wheels can be tough to find inspiration/motivation.

Either way, best of luck.

• Like 3

There's some pretty life on the rocks - coral morphs etc. so I can't bring myself to it. I may start back with the peroxide this weekend - I stopped that about 3 months ago and things have gotten worse. It didn't seem to be helping at the time but maybe it was

Found my yasha goby lying on my screen this morning That's a hard one- can't believe he fit through the screen- he was a pretty good size. That one hurts - such a beautiful fish.

Oh Scott :( I'm sorry about your Yasha

Actually, how about this? I am one for starting over. I'm afraid it will be a constant battle and you'll end up losing interest. So, move everything to the Nuvo or a holding tank of some sort, ditch all the sand and rocks you don't want. Put the rocks that are a maybe in the holding tank. Clean everything with peroxide or vinegar or whatever will kill the Dino's. Start new. Don't add anything from the holding tank that might have dinos until you're certain they're under control or gone. I know it sounds like a lot of work but I feel like you've fought the good fight and it just isn't seeming to help. I can't remember - have you tried a sizable in line UV sterilizer? Not sure if that would help or not.

And when I say clean everything with peroxide or vinegar - I mean the tank and all equipment, not the rocks.

• Like 2

Found my yasha goby lying on my screen this morning That's a hard one- can't believe he fit through the screen- he was a pretty good size. That one hurts - such a beautiful fish.

O no Scott, I am so sorry, that is really terrible! I can't believe he fit through your screen either. You could not possibly foresee that happening. You have had more than your share of tank downers and I feel really sad for what you are going through. :-(

• Like 2

Bummer man. Hope you can make things turn around for this tank. Seems like one disappointment after another on this one. :(

Sorry to hear.

Honestly if it were me, I think I'd hit the reset button. Spinning wheels can be tough to find inspiration/motivation.

Either way, best of luck.

Oh Scott :( I'm sorry about your Yasha

Actually, how about this? I am one for starting over. I'm afraid it will be a constant battle and you'll end up losing interest. So, move everything to the Nuvo or a holding tank of some sort, ditch all the sand and rocks you don't want. Put the rocks that are a maybe in the holding tank. Clean everything with peroxide or vinegar or whatever will kill the Dino's. Start new. Don't add anything from the holding tank that might have dinos until you're certain they're under control or gone. I know it sounds like a lot of work but I feel like you've fought the good fight and it just isn't seeming to help. I can't remember - have you tried a sizable in line UV sterilizer? Not sure if that would help or not.

And when I say clean everything with peroxide or vinegar - I mean the tank and all equipment, not the rocks.

O no Scott, I am so sorry, that is really terrible! I can't believe he fit through your screen either. You could not possibly foresee that happening. You have had more than your share of tank downers and I feel really sad for what you are going through. :-(

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the response and ideas on how to move forward. I am just not ready to quite yet. Although I've worked hard I think I will be able to dedicate more time during the winter months. There is still a lot of life on the rocks and I can't bring myself to give up yet. I am gonna restart the peroxide and slightly increase the dose and try to stay more diligent about cleaning and removing the Dino's. They seem to be more focused on the sand now so I've been removing them in sheets and removing quite a bit of sand so maybe it will eventually be a bare bottom if this continues. ? The corals are still showing growth and my one acro is really taking off but the tank is just "ugly". I usually get about 2 nice days before the Dino's take the tank back over. My Aiptasia is out of control though- everywhere so I will be ordering some nudi's in a few weeks. The other fish are fat and happy so all livestock is maintaining well but the tank is just not nice to look at. My one Acro is really growing well despite the Dino's all around its base. I think I'll give it to the end of the year and step up my maintenance before I call it quites.

A UV sounds interesting- never had one and I wonder if that might help??

• Like 1

The UV will only affect what is in the water column. Anything that is embedded in the rock work or sand won't be altered. That being said, if you baste off the rocks everyday and stir the sand to get the baddies into the water column, it might help control the population to a point that the peroxide makes a bigger difference. I've never had to deal with this, so not really sure what your answer will be. JMB has dealt with the dreaded dinos so he might have better input.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the response and ideas on how to move forward. I am just not ready to quite yet. Although I've worked hard I think I will be able to dedicate more time during the winter months. There is still a lot of life on the rocks and I can't bring myself to give up yet. I am gonna restart the peroxide and slightly increase the dose and try to stay more diligent about cleaning and removing the Dino's. They seem to be more focused on the sand now so I've been removing them in sheets and removing quite a bit of sand so maybe it will eventually be a bare bottom if this continues. The corals are still showing growth and my one acro is really taking off but the tank is just "ugly". I usually get about 2 nice days before the Dino's take the tank back over. My Aiptasia is out of control though- everywhere so I will be ordering some nudi's in a few weeks. The other fish are fat and happy so all livestock is maintaining well but the tank is just not nice to look at. My one Acro is really growing well despite the Dino's all around its base. I think I'll give it to the end of the year and step up my maintenance before I call it quites.

• Like 1

The UV will only affect what is in the water column. Anything that is embedded in the rock work or sand won't be altered. That being said, if you baste off the rocks everyday and stir the sand to get the baddies into the water column, it might help control the population to a point that the peroxide makes a bigger difference. I've never had to deal with this, so not really sure what your answer will be. JMB has dealt with the dreaded dinos so he might have better input.

good point- I do stir things up but only about once a week, then I change the filters out once it picks most of it up but some does still settle for sure.

Sucks for the yashi......I found mine dried up on the floor. I was in the same boat had a top but somehow made it through the screen.

really? Damn, I was thinking this was probably pretty rare but maybe not. How'd your shrimp do without the goby- I am feeding mine everyday and it's seems ok. I am thinking about another Goby this weekend- are most Goby's jumpers like that?

• Like 1

good point- I do stir things up but only about once a week, then I change the filters out once it picks most of it up but some does still settle for sure.

really? Damn, I was thinking this was probably pretty rare but maybe not. How'd your shrimp do without the goby- I am feeding mine everyday and it's seems ok. I am thinking about another Goby this weekend- are most Goby's jumpers like that?

Well the one that jumped I thought had a shrimp but did not hear or see it......

I do have one in the Nuvo 10 with a shrimp and has not made it to the carpet yet :blink: fingers crossed........

I did have a scooter go through the crack on my 20 and that was odd to.

• Like 1

Well the one that jumped I thought had a shrimp but did not hear or see it......

I do have one in the Nuvo 10 with a shrimp and has not made it to the carpet yet :blink: fingers crossed........

I did have a scooter go through the crack on my 20 and that was odd to.

Hmmm....not feeling to good about getting another one. How long have you had it in the 10

Hmmm....not feeling to good about getting another one. How long have you had it in the 10

3 months at least. It was one of the first fish tossed in the 10. I have the yashi and shrimp, tailsopot and 2 green banded gobies in there. Along with a bunch of RFAs.

• Like 1

Have you ever thought about getting your water checked or look at changes your filters on the RO/DI? I was terrible at changing mine out and now that I do it ~ 6-8 months things have turned for the better.

You never know!

• Like 1
Polarcollision

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the response and ideas on how to move forward. I am just not ready to quite yet. Although I've worked hard I think I will be able to dedicate more time during the winter months. There is still a lot of life on the rocks and I can't bring myself to give up yet. I am gonna restart the peroxide and slightly increase the dose and try to stay more diligent about cleaning and removing the Dino's. They seem to be more focused on the sand now so I've been removing them in sheets and removing quite a bit of sand so maybe it will eventually be a bare bottom if this continues. The corals are still showing growth and my one acro is really taking off but the tank is just "ugly". I usually get about 2 nice days before the Dino's take the tank back over. My Aiptasia is out of control though- everywhere so I will be ordering some nudi's in a few weeks. The other fish are fat and happy so all livestock is maintaining well but the tank is just not nice to look at. My one Acro is really growing well despite the Dino's all around its base. I think I'll give it to the end of the year and step up my maintenance before I call it quites.

they do burn themselves out. It took a long time, so long, I don't really remember. 6-8 months on the 8 gallon. Corner turned when I added sand from the healthy 24 gallon. Assuming it was a biological balance and moresurface area for bacteria to grow and compete. They're back, and covering the tank though. I pulled the skimmer a few weeks ago so it's confirming the imbalance. Hope that helps

• Like 1

Have you ever thought about getting your water checked or look at changes your filters on the RO/DI? I was terrible at changing mine out and now that I do it ~ 6-8 months things have turned for the better.

You never know!

I have an inline tester on my RODI and it is registering zero, I have changed out filter and DI earlier this year but I have thought about that too.

they do burn themselves out. It took a long time, so long, I don't really remember. 6-8 months on the 8 gallon. Corner turned when I added sand from the healthy 24 gallon. Assuming it was a biological balance and moresurface area for bacteria to grow and compete. They're back, and covering the tank though. I pulled the skimmer a few weeks ago so it's confirming the imbalance. Hope that helps

I am about at that time frame, I am on vacation next week so I will dedicate a a lot of time to the tank. Why did you pull the skimmer and how did that confirm your imbalance?

• Like 1
Polarcollision

I am about at that time frame, I am on vacation next week so I will dedicate a a lot of time to the tank. Why did you pull the skimmer and how did that confirm your imbalance?

I suspect it's not so much *any* nutrients building up, but a particular type of nutrient. If I feed too often or leave BBS shells in the hatchery too long, that seems to fuel the outbreaks. The hatchery smells of the worst rotten eggs decay. That sulphur smell suggests protein decay, which all fits. So, my suspicion is that the decaying bbs are a food source for the dinos that is not always available if fish digest them first. Since adding healthy sand helped end the last breakout, it looks like adding a variety of bacteria may have supplied a missing link of bacteria that prefer the same food sources as dinos. Essentially correcting the imbalance. Hopefully in a week or two I'll have time to seed the tank again... crossing fingers.

When the skimmer was in, I could feed BBS every day and not have any problems other than hair algae. Unfortunately the water level needs to be consistent for the skimmer to work, but because it only fits in the variable water level chamber it can easily either overflow or overheat the pump. Catch-22. I can't figure out how to set up the JBJ ATO so that one sensor is the water level and the other sensor is the overfill shut-off. Soooo. No skimmer for now.

Any chance you're feeding something that doesn't get eaten and is broken down via bacteria/dinos? Maybe we can correlate something and solve this.

• Like 2

I suspect it's not so much *any* nutrients building up, but a particular type of nutrient. If I feed too often or leave BBS shells in the hatchery too long, that seems to fuel the outbreaks. The hatchery smells of the worst rotten eggs decay. That sulphur smell suggests protein decay, which all fits. So, my suspicion is that the decaying bbs are a food source for the dinos that is not always available if fish digest them first. Since adding healthy sand helped end the last breakout, it looks like adding a variety of bacteria may have supplied a missing link of bacteria that prefer the same food sources as dinos. Essentially correcting the imbalance. Hopefully in a week or two I'll have time to seed the tank again... crossing fingers.

When the skimmer was in, I could feed BBS every day and not have any problems other than hair algae. Unfortunately the water level needs to be consistent for the skimmer to work, but because it only fits in the variable water level chamber it can easily either overflow or overheat the pump. Catch-22. I can't figure out how to set up the JBJ ATO so that one sensor is the water level and the other sensor is the overfill shut-off. Soooo. No skimmer for now.

Any chance you're feeding something that doesn't get eaten and is broken down via bacteria/dinos? Maybe we can correlate something and solve this.

I do broadcast feed twice a day, flake and pellets in the morning and then mysis and some powder food for the sps etc. reef roids, reef chili. I domimagine not all the food is eaten and I did cut back my amounts for I am keeping the fish well fed.

Last weekend I did a 20 gal. w/c, removed sand, pulled out most of the rock and scrubbed on the Dino's and cleaned skimmer and added new GFO/carbon so far things are holding and just alittle more Dino's coming back in the sand. I have also lost the battle with Aiptasia and they are multiplying like crazy so I ordered 15 Berghia nudi's, which should be here Thursday, hopefully my possum wrasse will leave them alone ?

• Like 2

Ok, after a big clean up I got some new pics. Corals and fish are doing well. Berghia will be here tomorrow to start on the Aiptasia infestation.

Season's greetings

ZtG3irx.jpg

Pavona attaching at the base

O66Wudu.jpg

BOP showing some good growth

qgBRiGB.jpg

Purple stylo branch from the main colony

SrKGzgl.jpg

Some shrooms

FHCY2aq.jpg

My one remaining Acro.......it all started after I added this guy. He's coloring up nicely and encrusted well at the base

faPOP48.jpg

Our tailspot and possum have become good friends and are always around and following each other

yroC5qs.jpg

Our Picasso's have been with us for over two years now ?

pcZksI8.jpg

Benny our tailspot hanging on his favorite encrusting monti

O9XBRt6.jpg

A small off shoot of the season's greetings

6ThH2Hx.jpg

Spongoid

YWinsAy.jpg

• Like 4