Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Moai of the Sea!

Sk8n Reefer

Sk8n Reefer

Picked up 3 bottles of pods to keep the wrasse nice and fat. He does take some pellets but is laying off frozen which seems odd. Dino's still lingering around.........I am ready for them to be gone, my lfs has dome really nice sps ?

• Like 3

Hey Scott, just catching up some now that my aunt doesn't need quite as much help. I was really glad to see that some of your coral are rebounding nicely but I felt like crying for you when I saw the skeleton of the cap. :-( That is heartbreaking but I agree with everyone that it needs displayed in the tiki room. Coral skeletons bring a pretty price and if you can do something artistic then all the better. What about an animal print like tiger stripes or leopard spots, ha ha! Just kidding but I am sure that you and your wife will figure something out that is cool.

• Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

Hey Scott, just catching up some now that my aunt doesn't need quite as much help. I was really glad to see that some of your coral are rebounding nicely but I felt like crying for you when I saw the skeleton of the cap. :-( That is heartbreaking but I agree with everyone that it needs displayed in the tiki room. Coral skeletons bring a pretty price and if you can do something artistic then all the better. What about an animal print like tiger stripes or leopard spots, ha ha! Just kidding but I am sure that you and your wife will figure something out that is cool.

Thanks Dawn, it's been a long road and I am still on it but it is slowly getting better. Not being able to add corals has been frustrating but the addition of the wrasse has been really good. Lots of movement around the tank. The shrimp/goby pair are cool but they are hiding all day. They barely stick their heads out once in a awhile and only during feeding times ?Ya, I'll have to come up with something to make the skeleton cool- the tiki room is a perfect fit though. ?

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Things are cruising along and Dino's still in the house. Just becoming part of my reef. ? Slacked on w/c last two weeks and I paid for it- Dino gained a little ground. No losses of corals or fish and corals are actually growing ? I'll get some pics this weekend- off to San Fran for a short trip

• Like 4

Slacker ;)

Good to hear that things are kind of in check though.

Total slacker! ? Just wish my shrimp & goby pair would show themselves- goby sticks his head out during feedings and you can hear the shrimp snap in the evening so I know he is still there ? Maybe if I stop making it so easy- I squirt food down their hole
  • Like 3

Total slacker! Just wish my shrimp & goby pair would show themselves- goby sticks his head out during feedings and you can hear the shrimp snap in the evening so I know he is still there Maybe if I stop making it so easy- I squirt food down their hole

I see mine only when I feed. The candy cane was out in the sand today when brine shrimp was floating by.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Haven't done an update in a while but been keeping up on the tank. Picked up two new bottles of pods for the wrasse and some Ca, mg and alk. Doser is back up as growth is steady again- keeping alk. At 8. Dino's are still present but not overwhelming unless I let my guard down. Haven't added anything but the corals and fish are doing well and the corals are showing good color and growth. No pics of the shrimp goby pair but saw them both briefly this morning ?. Puffball is still alive in the back rock- hasn't been on the move

Here's a few pics from today

10 dollar frag doing ok

J2Y2zPJ.jpg

Red plating monti staying healthy

zQ2orT1.jpg

Pavona looking good

ZX1CCfu.jpg

BOP growing like a machine

TUErMuD.jpg

Purple stylo branches

RbV6iK6.jpg

Piglet our possum wrasse on the move

MPciza6.jpg

Benny lurking in the shallows

wxgnvgq.jpg

And chilling by his favorite coral

LFwX1kg.jpg

Season's greeting growing and growing

sBE4nWy.jpg

Idaho grape frag and red monti

c7RlP3I.jpg

Clowns out and about for a change

SeGcE65.jpg

This Acro was the last one I added and a total brown out- he survived the crash and is really coloring up nicely with some green body and a hint of red around the base ? Showing some encrusting now

5MVtl7b.jpg

073r2wf.jpg

• Like 13

Looking good! Seems it's taken you some time to get back into posting

Looking very nice. Post more please! :)

Thanks guys, yes I've been behind on my posting for sure. The summer has been busy and I've been focusing on the skatepark too much. Off to Boston tomorrow for the week so Lisa is running the ship ?Everything is on auto pilot but the feeding which see handles very well.

• Like 4

Your coral are looking better all the time Scott. It appears that everything is going in the right direction still. I think eventually the tank will stabilize to the place where the dinos will eventually be gone. Kudos to you for staying with it. That can be an overwhelming discouragement and not everyone perseveres.

You must be getting back to skate shape too if you are spending that much time at it. Good for you.

• Like 1

I'm glad things are going well and hopefully things are finally starting to balance out with the dinos.

My ywg and candy cane pair do exactly the same thing. I haven't seen the shrimp since the day he went in but I hear a snap every week or two, just when I'm sure he's gone for good.

• Like 2

Your coral are looking better all the time Scott. It appears that everything is going in the right direction still. I think eventually the tank will stabilize to the place where the dinos will eventually be gone. Kudos to you for staying with it. That can be an overwhelming discouragement and not everyone perseveres.

You must be getting back to skate shape too if you are spending that much time at it. Good for you.

Thanks Dawn, yes making progress slowly but surely. Just when I let my guard down though it creeps back in. I've been staying up on my w/c, blowing off or removing the Dino's and changing out filter floss twice a week. Adding the possum wrasse really helped with staying focused on the tank- Lisa just love 'em! Ya, I've been skating a ton and building more so it really took up most of my time but have a slight set back, torn shoulder muscle, so I need to back off for a few weeks so I can keep focusing on the tank. Been in Boston all week so it will be good to be home tonight- I have 20gal. Of water mixing so it w/c's for me this weekend ?

Looking good, Scott!! Have you decided what to do with the cap skeleton yet?

Thanks Rachel, not yet it's still sitting out in the sun. I'll come up with something this winter in the down time from being able to be outside!

That Benny lurking in the shadows photo is awesome!! Glad to see things starting to turn around for you.

Thanks! Ya at first I thought it was a delete but then I thought it kinda looked cool too- such a fun fish! He really gets along well with our possum wrasse- he follows him around, it's funny

I'm glad things are going well and hopefully things are finally starting to balance out with the dinos.

My ywg and candy cane pair do exactly the same thing. I haven't seen the shrimp since the day he went in but I hear a snap every week or two, just when I'm sure he's gone for good.

Thanks man, congrats on TOTM- looking awesome as usual. Ya, I hear the clicking most evenings- they must have a sweet pad under there for sure. I am just trying to stay ahead of the Dino but it's on and off still alittle but I am just trying to have patience with it. I've stopped adding Hydro peroxide- it didn't seem to be helping and it actually started to look a little better once I stopped ?
  • Like 3

Just got back from th week in Boston, tanks doing ok - some Dino growing on the sand but alittle coming back on the rock. Skimmers cranking- love the Nyos so far, once I figured it out. Small clean up day today and w/c's tomorrow ?

Thought I'd post up one of my only shots of my couple, now all I get are a fish eyeball and mouth and the end of a claw and some nighttime clicking ?

10b52b1be636476cafc7bdcc7256eac9_zpsely7

• Like 11

They're beautiful! All I get with mine is a click every week or two. I haven't seen the shrimp since he went into the tank :rolleyes:

How long have you had yours now? Do you spot feed their area or hole?

• Like 1

How long have you had yours now? Do you spot feed their area or hole?

I've had mine for a couple months now. I don't spot feed but since I've got the angelfish I end up broadcast feeding a fair amount of frozen every day or two in additional to the usual pellets. Every time I convince myself the shrimp is no longer alive I hear a click.

• Like 2

I've had mine for a couple months now. I don't spot feed but since I've got the angelfish I end up broadcast feeding a fair amount of frozen every day or two in additional to the usual pellets. Every time I convince myself the shrimp is no longer alive I hear a click.

Do you see stirred up gravel outside the hole? I am still seeing a lot of that if I disrupt it so he must come out late and clean up- I've yet to catch em though

• Like 2

Do you see stirred up gravel outside the hole? I am still seeing a lot of that if I disrupt it so he must come out late and clean up- I've yet to catch em though

Yeah, there are definitely tunnels, although it's not as dramatic as I've seen in other tanks. Just kind of a small pile of sand outside the hole.

• Like 2