ReefCleaners.org

Moai of the Sea!

Sk8n Reefer

Never heard of this. I get the phosphate but how do we affect Carbon and Nitrogen in a salt mix? Will regular w/c's potentially keep it all in check?

Carbon and nitrate, as well as phosphate, are constituents of the uneaten food/detritus/bacteria that accumulates in our tanks. By regularly removing this material, there is a reduction in the system's CNP total (nutrient reduction). Water changes remove a portion of the free swimming bacteria and disolved organics that naturally occur in the water column, which then removes some additional CNP (assuming pure fresh water and a quality salt mix are used).

• Like 2

Carbon and nitrate, as well as phosphate, are constituents of the uneaten food/detritus/bacteria that accumulates in our tanks. By regularly removing this material, there is a reduction in the system's CNP total (nutrient reduction). Water changes remove a portion of the free swimming bacteria that naturally occur in the water column, which then removes some additional CNP (assuming pure fresh water and a quality salt mix are used).

Gotcha, thanks for the lesson. So it seems that most reefers only test for phosphates and nitrates (that I am aware of) so an imbalance might be promoting Dino's? I was a little worried my tds meter wasn't working but I finally saw a 001 appear lastnight so I didn't save any of the water and will change out my filters etc. So I think my water is always good. Maybe massive w/c's routinely will be the over all answer then staying on regular ones to keep levels all equal as much as possible

• Like 1

I've been spending to much time doing this1ca1b81c129829141f401651ac3afc3a_zpsw7tt

And this0a9b01b2ecc9d2c535f5e9626e1da9fa_zpsvhyr

Well, ya gotta skate while the sun doth shine, right?

Dave and I just took the bikes out Sunday for a ride and added stabilizer to the gas. We can still ride them but it won't be much now unless there is a day that is so beautiful we can't ignore it.

I am glad that the tank is holding its own against the dinos. I never heard of that ratio that nano sapiens was talking about either but it makes sense to me. I also was glad for the lesson as well.

I am happy to hear that the coral are growing and flourishing in spite of other adversities, dinos and aiptasia. Tell those nudis that you will double their pay if they get the job done in half the time! :-)

• Like 2

So I'm wondering what would happen if you dosed a little PhosphateRx, just a little, instead of using any other PO4 removing media. It appears both GFO and carbon dosing can fuel dinos, though of course it's still mostly speculation.

• Like 1

omgomgomg

Is that Evel Knievel skating your pool?

Right! That's a one of a kind for sure- I eyeballed that shirt for a few years every time The Modernism show came thru- finally bit the bullet- talked the guy down to 100 bucks. What a deal?

Well, ya gotta skate while the sun doth shine, right?

Dave and I just took the bikes out Sunday for a ride and added stabilizer to the gas. We can still ride them but it won't be much now unless there is a day that is so beautiful we can't ignore it.

I am glad that the tank is holding its own against the dinos. I never heard of that ratio that nano sapiens was talking about either but it makes sense to me. I also was glad for the lesson as well.

I am happy to hear that the coral are growing and flourishing in spite of other adversities, dinos and aiptasia. Tell those nudis that you will double their pay if they get the job done in half the time! :-)

Yes, Nano tends to always blow my mind with his incite ? Ya, if it wasn't for the Dino this tank would be looking really good. My last Acro is growing like a machine and the caps are all happy. Once we get some snow and I am locked inside more I'll dig in deeper- "seasonal reefer" ?

Awesome on the bikes, we did that a few weeks ago- thinking a new Cushman for me next year ?

So I'm wondering what would happen if you dosed a little PhosphateRx, just a little, instead of using any other PO4 removing media. It appears both GFO and carbon dosing can fuel dinos, though of course it's still mostly speculation.

I've read a little about that product but don't know much about it- who sells it? So, GFO can also help phosphates? Does it leach? The off brand I am using now stinks so I ordered some BRS.

• Like 1

Have you thought of trying that new Vibrant stuff? I dunno if it's snake oil or not but people on the big Reef2Reef thread on Vibrant seem to be having some success against both Dino's and Bryopsis... at least in the pictures that they have posted.

• Like 1

Have you thought of trying that new Vibrant stuff? I dunno if it's snake oil or not but people on the big Reef2Reef thread on Vibrant seem to be having some success against both Dino's and Bryopsis... at least in the pictures that they have posted.

Not sure what that is? Vibrant? Where do you get it?

Yes, true, long term testing on these reef aquarium issues is rather sparse largely due to lack of sufficient funding.

The way I think about it is that many nuisance species of microorganisms are ever present in any typical reef tank, but in a healthy, balanced system, they are kept in check as no one organism can gain the upper hand. However, If the system's balance is upset (too much/little of this, too much/little of that), any given species can take advantage of the situation and overpopulate...which we see as a 'bloom'.

• Like 3

FWIW I got my bottle last week and am on my third dose. I had patches of brown and green algae on the sand bed and rocks. The sand bed has since cleared up nicely and the growth has definitely subsided on the rocks. The few long patches of green hair algae are gone but I still have short green surface patches on the rocks. I'm gonna keep dosing as directed to see to what extent the stuff on the rocks go away. Keeping my fingers crossed but so far, so good!

• Like 1

FWIW I got my bottle last week and am on my third dose. I had patches of brown and green algae on the sand bed and rocks. The sand bed has since cleared up nicely and the growth has definitely subsided on the rocks. The few long patches of green hair algae are gone but I still have short green surface patches on the rocks. I'm gonna keep dosing as directed to see to what extent the stuff on the rocks go away. Keeping my fingers crossed but so far, so good!

thanks for the info, I usually don't go for this type of product but at this point I will try almost anything. I'll order some Friday when I am back in town ? Keep me posted on how things are going with it

• Like 3

I've been using Vibrant for close to two weeks now in my 10g tank. Nothing dramatic has happened yet although I think things seem to be improving slightly. From their dosing table in the Reef2reef thread, it seems that the GHA/turf/bryopsis algaes need the most repeated doses, though, and I've only done three so far. Good luck!

• Like 3

I don't know if this would make a difference but I've noticed a lot less algae and cyano since dosing Zeostart3. It's carbon dosing plus some nitrate to fuel the bacteria that will will take down the phosphates. I've disconnected the GFO at this point and everything seems much more stable.

I also recently found a bottle of DinoXal that I bought (but never used) as a last resort when I had my dino issue. I don't know if it's available in the US but I could send it over if you want to try but can't get it there.

• Like 1

I don't know if this would make a difference but I've noticed a lot less algae and cyano since dosing Zeostart3. It's carbon dosing plus some nitrate to fuel the bacteria that will will take down the phosphates. I've disconnected the GFO at this point and everything seems much more stable.

I also recently found a bottle of DinoXal that I bought (but never used) as a last resort when I had my dino issue. I don't know if it's available in the US but I could send it over if you want to try but can't get it there.

Zeostart3 and DinoXal- never heard of those. I'll have you read up on them. What did you do to combat the Dino's?

• Like 1

Zeostart3 and DinoXal- never heard of those. I'll have you read up on them. What did you do to combat the Dino's?

This is a copy of a post from ages ago where I gave a brief outline:

I took about six weeks to get rid of dinos but they went in the end and haven't come back. I was cleaning rocks and sand every day with a reduced light regime. Eventually I was able to just baste the rocks while they kept themselves to the sand. The sand took longer but, in the end, it was their odd behaviour that worked for me.

I would siphon the top layer of sand, dinos and all, into a bowl. They would almost immediately clump into little balls which allowed me to pour mostly clean water back into the tank after a few minutes. A quick stir to disperse them again and I could pour the brown-again remaining water down the toilet. I kept the bowl's remaining sand in a bucket in the dark for a few days before returning it to the tank.

I know these buggers take many forms but this procedure worked for the ones I had.

I was tempted to use the DinoXal many times but was also determined to go the elbow-grease route. I'm not a big fan of using something I don't understand. I'd read that some people had lost snails and urchins after using it but I have no idea if that is coincidence, something in the product or simply the result of dying dinos. Either way, it wasn't necessary in the end.

The product is well-known in Europe, though, and is a apparently used in some public aquaria.

The Zeostart3 is something I'd recommend unhesitatingly to anyone. It's a Zeo product from Korallen Zucht but, unusually, it seems to be one that we know roughly the contents of. It's basically carbon dosing but, counter-intuitively, it contains nitrate to balance out the ratio with the phosphate. My phosphates are now well under control and I've increased the feeding of my corals. So much easier than GFO reactor maintenance, and without the peaks and troughs that come with replacing exhausted media.

• Like 1

This is a copy of a post from ages ago where I gave a brief outline:

I was tempted to use the DinoXal many times but was also determined to go the elbow-grease route. I'm not a big fan of using something I don't understand. I'd read that some people had lost snails and urchins after using it but I have no idea if that is coincidence, something in the product or simply the result of dying dinos. Either way, it wasn't necessary in the end.

The product is well-known in Europe, though, and is a apparently used in some public aquaria.

The Zeostart3 is something I'd recommend unhesitatingly to anyone. It's a Zeo product from Korallen Zucht but, unusually, it seems to be one that we know roughly the contents of. It's basically carbon dosing but, counter-intuitively, it contains nitrate to balance out the ratio with the phosphate. My phosphates are now well under control and I've increased the feeding of my corals. So much easier than GFO reactor maintenance, and without the peaks and troughs that come with replacing exhausted media.

Great info thank you, ya I've been removing the thin layer over and over again, it takes a little over a week now till it regains the sheets. I am still feeding heavily but mostly trying to spot feed mysis compared to broadcast feeding the tank. This seems to be helping- but slow progress

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm thinking we need updates!

Agreed

You are correct!! Slacking for sure. Still trucking along and even added a few monti caps ? On vacation starting Friday so I should have some new pics next week- have to try out my Avast porthole ?

• Like 8
  • 4 weeks later...

You are correct!! Slacking for sure. Still trucking along and even added a few monti caps On vacation starting Friday so I should have some new pics next week- have to try out my Avast porthole

Must have been a good vacation :D

• Like 1