Pod Your Reef

Moai of the Sea!

Sk8n Reefer

I'm so excited to see you started this thread finally! I love the scape and the arches. And the light is awesome!

But the tikis are best of all :D Good luck with the transfer!

• Like 2

I'm so excited to see you started this thread finally! I love the scape and the arches. And the light is awesome!

But the tikis are best of all :D Good luck with the transfer!

Thanks man! My wife would totally agree with you ?
  • Like 2

Looking good mate! Bet you can't wait to get some good growth going!!

Thanks! Yes I am - especially with some new sps frags once I get some new ones ?

• Like 1

Looks like a great start.

How noticeable is that putty you are using?

It's a Mortar and it's grey so it is very noticeable. I probably could of scraped some smaller rock or gravel to lay over it but it still would of looked different. Once I get some growth and place corals it should blend in just fine. I made the joint thicker than needed I think but I wanted it strong to support the huge sps colonies I am gonna grow. ?.......ya right?
  • Like 2

Added some corals from the Nuvo last week.

Green tipped Stylo- this was hiding in the back of the Nuvo behind my purple Stylo and not getting much light

QtH9UtZ.jpg

Setosa- finally removed 'em from the frag rack in the Nuvo. Not getting much light there so I am hoping it will come alive in the 50

Njqzop4.jpg

Clean up crew sharing a ride

BGjejHk.jpg

FTS's

v1DAGtK.jpg

Tiki time

zpfhCRw.jpg

I'll be back home Friday and probably move some more corals over from the Nuvo.......crazy how full the Nuvo still is

• Like 12

Looking awesome and that room looks amazing!

Thank you! It's a fun room for sure ?

LOVE where this is going! Are you going to frag those Monti caps before you transfer? Might fill the tank up too much in the begining.

Thanks man, I know- my green cap is 8" across and the Idaho grape is 7". I am gonna place them in the middle bottom and see how that goes. I'd rather not frag the green cap- I'd like to see how big it gets?. I'd trade the Idaho grape in but there's all that life growing under it and our tailspot sleeps in it at night so it would disrupt a lot of life. We'll see how things go.

• Like 2

I am still not use to this threads name and I had some catching up to do. Your FTS looks great. I hope it works out when you add the montis.

Hahaha- why is that - different from my Nuvo thread name? I didn't want anything with my name in the thread this time. Ya it should be interesting once I start placing the larger colonies. I'll have room for additional acros on the upper section but I really wanted to try and have the Monti's grow together. I also have 3 smaller ones- grafted,season greetings and red so my bottom section will be full for sure!

Thanks on the FTS- work in progress but I do like the arches- hard to see the lower one on the right. I also placed small rocks under the whole structure so those bigger rocks are touching the sand in some areas- keeps good flow through the bottom. Still might have to add a small powerhead or two once the larger corals are in- we'll see

• Like 1

I also placed small rocks under the whole structure so those bigger rocks are touching the sand in some areas- keeps good flow through the bottom. Still might have to add a small powerhead or two once the larger corals are in- we'll see

I did the exact same thing when I moved the seahorses into the bowfront. I had 2 large rock formations and I put them on small rock platforms for flow and so detritus and uneaten mysis is not trapped. I thought I would see my nitrates drop overnight with the display being revamped in October and a new clean sump added a few weeks ago...but alas they are ever stuck at 10ppm no matter what I do. I guess that is a result of putting in 1 cube of mysis every day and sometimes feeding the ponies live food in addition to that. O well, its manageable.:-)
  • Like 2

I did the exact same thing when I moved the seahorses into the bowfront. I had 2 large rock formations and I put them on small rock platforms for flow and so detritus and uneaten mysis is not trapped. I thought I would see my nitrates drop overnight with the display being revamped in October and a new clean sump added a few weeks ago...but alas they are ever stuck at 10ppm no matter what I do. I guess that is a result of putting in 1 cube of mysis every day and sometimes feeding the ponies live food in addition to that. O well, its manageable.:-)

Wow-full cube a day- would they eat all or most of it?

• Like 1

Wow-full cube a day- would they eat all or most of it?

They do eat nearly all of it. They are messy so some gets blown out of their food bowl but not much. The 6 gigantic peppermints, and the royal gramma are always waiting for scraps to float by so not very much is not eaten. Of course what goes in must come out and seahorses are not known for digesting their food well. Seahorse fry can pass living bbs if they eat them too fast, ha ha!

• Like 4

They do eat nearly all of it. They are messy so some gets blown out of their food bowl but not much. The 6 gigantic peppermints, and the royal gramma are always waiting for scraps to float by so not very much is not eaten. Of course what goes in must come out and seahorses are not known for digesting their food well. Seahorse fry can pass living bbs if they eat them too fast, ha ha!

Their "food bowl" hahaha- that's awesome..........just like a dog or cat ?

• Like 2

I feed probably close to a cube of frozen daily (varies which kind)n as well now with the gobies, clowns, the blenny, the chromis and the corals :) And some pellets and/or flake in the AM. No wonder I can't get nitrates below 5-8 ;)

• Like 3

Their "food bowl" hahaha- that's awesome..........just like a dog or cat

It is really hilarious when I am late for 1 of their meals and they are sitting IN the food bowl waiting for me! So pathetic looking that I have to get moving and feed them, ha ha!

I feed probably close to a cube of frozen daily (varies which kind)n as well now with the gobies, clowns, the blenny, the chromis and the corals :) And some pellets and/or flake in the AM. No wonder I can't get nitrates below 5-8 ;)

I feed a cube, 2x a pinch of pellets, and reef roids daily! Was a battle to get .03 phosphates but it's working now.

I do think mysis is more nutrient rich than other frozen foods. Also seahorses pulverize their food and you can see little puff of (what looks like smoke) mysis particles come out their gills. It looks cool but I am sure its dirty for the tank.

• Like 2

Yay, new tank! Things are looking great so far, nice rock work and excellent build. I love the aesthetics and how you tied it in with the lids on the hybrid.

• Like 2

I feed a cube, 2x a pinch of pellets, and reef roids daily! Was a battle to get .03 phosphates but it's working now.

Dang, I only have the 2 clowns and tailspot blenny- I feed flake and pellets during the day (Lisa does) then evenings they get mysis and some Rod's but never feed a full cube. The clowns are pigs but you can tell when their done- won't even look at the food anymore. Evening feed also gets reef roids and BRS reef chili and a drop each of liquid- phyto and oyster for the corals. I keep the fish on flake so when we go to the cabin I can set up the auto feeder with flake ?

It is really hilarious when I am late for 1 of their meals and they are sitting IN the food bowl waiting for me! So pathetic looking that I have to get moving and feed them, ha ha!

I do think mysis is more nutrient rich than other frozen foods. Also seahorses pulverize their food and you can see little puff of (what looks like smoke) mysis particles come out their gills. It looks cool but I am sure its dirty for the tank.

That's awesome- our clowns are the same way. they wait up front when it's time to eat- hilarious ! I swear they can tell Lisa from me- they excited when she stands in front ?

Yay, new tank! Things are looking great so far, nice rock work and excellent build. I love the aesthetics and how you tied it in with the lids on the hybrid.

Thanks! It's nice to have some room again?. Ya the wood tops are cool- I'll post up some new pics showing them soon!

• Like 3

I tried Rod's and didn't like it. Had some pretty big chunks that my fish didn't even want to look at.

I feed about a cube, cube and a half for both my tanks. But there's only 4 fish total!

• Like 4

You guys feed so much more than me! Why am I still getting 10+ nitrate and algae on the sand and rock...blah.

I do hate Rods. I have a whole pack I need to use. Larry's is soooo much better. You can tell Rods is dirty when you defrost it and the water is orange. When you dump it into the tank, there are lots of very very small particles that the fish dont eat. I guess you can say it can broadcast feed corals but most just end up on your sandbed or your filter sock. Larry is much cleaner with even size chunks.

• Like 3