Innovative Marine Aquariums

Moai of the Sea!

Sk8n Reefer

Sk8n Reefer

Cool, Bi-color blennys are also cool little fish-such personality. lovin the new light! still would like to borrow a par meter and dial in my par

• Like 3
Sk8n Reefer

Heading to Arlington through Thursday. My skimmer started acting up and kicking bubbles out all over the tank. I shut it off while I am in Arlington. I'll have to take it out and see what's going on when I get back. Figures it would act up just before I leave ? Picked up a few acro frags at the reef show last weekend- I'll get some pics up tonight! Gonna check out the local reef stores while I am down there!

• Like 2
Sk8n Reefer

Here's a few shots from Sunday of the new frags

This 10.00 frag is my fav!

pS2gLgU.jpg

a0o7rqe.jpg

This one looks more purple than green but it is green in person- funny, some areas of the tank photograph completely different

xtlUPRC.jpg

KhDBVYf.jpg

Purple pink Mille

wAEKssT.jpg

Kcb9rB9.jpg

And a couple shots of my kids ?

Bella - watching for wildlife

587cec9bc794658a33435ff5844a58a2_zps6ek1

Tank and his favorite Kong toy

b598b4d777ba0357105dc817a0407425_zpsuzjd

• Like 10
ninjamyst

i am having skimmer issues too. damn thing overflowed 3 times in the past few weeks and got water all over the stand and floor. hope yours didn't go too crazy.

great pickups on those frags.

• Like 1
ReefWeeds

Heading to Arlington through Thursday. My skimmer started acting up and kicking bubbles out all over the tank. I shut it off while I am in Arlington. I'll have to take it out and see what's going on when I get back. Figures it would act up just before I leave Picked up a few acro frags at the reef show last weekend- I'll get some pics up tonight! Gonna check out the local reef stores while I am down there!

Skimmers do NOT like you for some reason :lol:

• Like 2
Sk8n Reefer

i am having skimmer issues too. damn thing overflowed 3 times in the past few weeks and got water all over the stand and floor. hope yours didn't go too crazy.

great pickups on those frags.

Ya, that's what I was afraid of while I am gone so I just shut it down- I am still working thru dialing it in. For some reason it started to fluctuate the water level Sunday evening and I flew out Monday morning so I had to shut it down. Ya prices were really good at this show ?

I love all those pics especially the kids :)

And I agree, your $10 acro is the best one!

They are a comical duo! Ya, I was stoked to find that one.......got there at the start- made my pics and was gone in an hour ?

Skimmers do NOT like you for some reason :lol:

Right!! This one was rocking and then Sunday night it started acting up......not sure but I found a little cyano in a back corner so I stirred it up to get it in the water column and remove it - that might have been all it took. I started up the GFO reactor before I left with a little bit of GFO

• Like 2

Great finds. That first frag sure is purdy! And your kids...adorable. Is Bella have her ears flattened down so the wildlife does not see her? That is kind of a cat move more than like a dog, ha ha! Tank has the'play with me' look in his eyes.

• Like 1
DaveFason

First new acro looks great. For skimmers beware of any changes with adding additives and such. Safe travels Scott!

Also pup is a stud. One of my favorite breeds.

-Dave

• Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

Great finds. That first frag sure is purdy! And your kids...adorable. Is Bella have her ears flattened down so the wildlife does not see her? That is kind of a cat move more than like a dog, ha ha! Tank has the'play with me' look in his eyes.

Thanks Dawn, it took me years to train her to do that-? We tend to get some good wildlife traffic through there- foxes,coyote, rabbits and cats so she parks out on the couch

First new acro looks great. For skimmers beware of any changes with adding additives and such. Safe travels Scott!

Also pup is a stud. One of my favorite breeds.

-Dave

Hey Dave, it was a good find for sure and for 10 bucks I'll take it! Ya, I wasn't comfortable leaving with the skimmer running so I just shut it down. Bullies are such cool dogs- 70lbs. Lap dogs ? Or so they think!
  • Like 2
Sk8n Reefer

?my wife called tonight really upset- RTN event going on- lost two acros already and cyano is taking over the gravel. Tough to be in Texas while this is happening- not much I can do. I've had her reduce feeding but that's about all I can do from here. I'll be back Thursday and hopefully there will be something left. So frustrating trying to maintain the tank and traveling a lot. Sad day for my 50gal. As usual for acros things happen fast.

Sk8n Reefer

crap. what do u think caused the RTN? i know you said you turned skimmer off...do you think a sudden increase in nutrients? or do you think the GFO stripped out too much stuff?

I think it was a nutrient spike cause she said cyano is now covering a lot of the gravel. I saw a little in a corner before I left so I added the GFO to combat it while the skimmer was off. Algae was started to grow stronger also. I only used 3 table spoons of GFO. Frustrated that I am not there to start some water changes.

I think it was a nutrient spike cause she said cyano is now covering a lot of the gravel. I saw a little in a corner before I left so I added the GFO to combat it while the skimmer was off. Algae was started to grow stronger also. I only used 3 table spoons of GFO. Frustrated that I am not there to start some water changes.

Ah that sucks, the fun of SPS. :(

• Like 1
teenyreef

my wife called tonight really upset- RTN event going on- lost two acros already and cyano is taking over the gravel. Tough to be in Texas while this is happening- not much I can do. I've had her reduce feeding but that's about all I can do from here. I'll be back Thursday and hopefully there will be something left. So frustrating trying to maintain the tank and traveling a lot. Sad day for my 50gal. As usual for acros things happen fast.

Oh no! It's always so frustrating to have problems like that come up when you're out of town and can't do anything about it.

I think I'd be walking my wife through the detailed procedure to mix new water and do a change if it was me :unsure:

• Like 2
Sk8n Reefer

Ah that sucks, the fun of SPS. :(

Yup, damn things hate me sometimes I swear.......the cyano is telling me nutrients are high so hopefully the GFO will start to settle that down a bit.

Oh no! It's always so frustrating to have problems like that come up when you're out of town and can't do anything about it.

I think I'd be walking my wife through the detailed procedure to mix new water and do a change if it was me :unsure:

She's a trooper and handles a lot but that's probably too much for her. I have 20gal. mixed downstairs but wouldnt ask her to drag that up and change out some water- figuring 15-20 gal. would need to be done. That's the beauty of a smaller nano- much easier to make a change with just 5gal.
  • Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

On my way home......the carnage continues. More corals RTN today- I hope I have something left when I get home tonight. I'll start w/c's immediately. ?

Could you have over dosed carbon?

I found my only way to kill cyano was to drop feeding's, stop feeding the coral and stuck out as much cyano including the gravel as i could when doing WC.

• Like 1

On my way home......the carnage continues. More corals RTN today- I hope I have something left when I get home tonight. I'll start w/c's immediately.

Remember when Kat changed tanks she had an STN episode due to PO4 being too low in the new tank, she actually dosed it to stop the carnage. The cyano is just new tank issues IMO, not enough goodies to properly filter the tank.

Hopefully there's enough left to save, I hate when this happens.

• Like 3
Sk8n Reefer

Remember when Kat changed tanks she had an STN episode due to PO4 being too low in the new tank, she actually dosed it to stop the carnage. The cyano is just new tank issues IMO, not enough goodies to properly filter the tank.

Hopefully there's enough left to save, I hate when this happens.

So 10 acros are gone or on their way. Caps are all brown, stylo's are closed. PO4 is 0 but do you think the cyano is sucking it up? Do you think w/c's and feeding heavier again will help?

• Like 1
ninjamyst

man that sucks....i can't imagine nutrient raising that fast. besides cyano, any other algae on rock? any algae on glass? cyano can just be a chemical imbalance and not necessarily a nutrient issue right?

• Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

man that sucks....i can't imagine nutrient raising that fast. besides cyano, any other algae on rock? any algae on glass? cyano can just be a chemical imbalance and not necessarily a nutrient issue right?

Not sure- I always thought it was from high nutrients ........the w/c's begin

Could you have over dosed carbon?

I found my only way to kill cyano was to drop feeding's, stop feeding the coral and stuck out as much cyano including the gravel as i could when doing WC.

I wasn't running any carbon or dosing it. I am gonna start on manually removing the cyano and w/c's

• Like 1

So 10 acros are gone or on their way. Caps are all brown, stylo's are closed. PO4 is 0 but do you think the cyano is sucking it up? Do you think w/c's and feeding heavier again will help?

Yea the cyano would be gobbling it up. balancing act for you now, feed and get more cyano, dont feed and get more stn.... i do not envy you right now!

Id rather feed heavy again and do as you say and vacuum out the cyano.

Oh i see above, it was GFO you changed out..... not carbon. I have heard you can shock your coral by running too much GFO.

• Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

O no Scott, that is terrible! I feel sick for you.

Ya, the tank is not recognizable - everyone is dead or stressed and lost color. I've never seen anything like this- makes me wonder about outside issues or something. Alk has a slight spoke up to 9 but I wouldn't think that would do this so quickly

Yea the cyano would be gobbling it up. balancing act for you now, feed and get more cyano, dont feed and get more stn.... i do not envy you right now!

Id rather feed heavy again and do as you say and vacuum out the cyano.

Oh i see above, it was GFO you changed out..... not carbon. I have heard you can shock your coral by running too much GFO.

Ya, I ran a small amount of GFO to- 3 tablespoons hoping it wouldn't shock anyone but do damage to the cyano - I guess I was wrong

• Like 2