Equipment

• Tunze Silence 1073.020 (630gph) Return Pump
  • Ecotech Radion XR30w
  • Apex Jr, PM1, EB8, VDM, Jebao Controller
  • Simplicity 120DC Skimmer
  • Jebao RW-4 x2
  • Avast! ATO

Livestock - Wartskin Angler and corals to be named later

Before anyone asks for pictures, I don't have any of that stuff. I haven't had a tank for a while now and I need a project. This is my "quit smoking" tank. I have been smoking for 25 years now and it's high time I quit. Every day I spend $6 on a pack of cigarettes. Instead of buying that pack of smokes I will be adding $6 to my PayPal account to pay for all of this. Not only will I have the cash for the equipment in short order, the continuing cash flow will allow me to cherry pick corals later. Wish me luck!

Current Tank Funds - $42.71

annd there's another 25 lagoon with a really good plan who is likely going to be up and running before I do. Congrats, hopefully on quitting smoking. :)

I <3 Warties.

Wishing you LOTSA luck!!

Thanks. I love them too. They crack me up every time I see one. I will also be setting up a small, simple tank for feeder shrimp. I was kicking around the idea of a seahorse tank but my schedule just doesn't allow me the time. Plus this way it will be much easier for someone to come in and take care of the tank when I'm on vacation.

annd there's another 25 lagoon with a really good plan who is likely going to be up and running before I do. Congrats, hopefully on quitting smoking. :)

Lol I doubt it. I'm estimating the end of the summer before I mix any saltwater. And thanks.

I may be changing up the tank. I can get a Deep Blue 24x24x12 for less than $200 and put a Synergy Reef low profile overflow on it. I'm also waiting for quotes from a couple of places to see if it would be worth it to get the same dimensions in starphire. I still have my trigger sump and the more I think about it the more I'd rather have a sump than an AIO.

Ordered a custom made 24x24x12 today from a local builder. Got it for the same price as the deep blue but he will drill it for me and it won't have that giant bottom brace so pretty happy about that. Now I have to redo my equipment plans.

Got quotes back from RS and Miracles. They both wanted over $1000 with shipping. :o RS was at least including a ghost overflow. Low iron just isn't worth that much to me.

I communicated with Dave about lighting, Probably looking at either 2 duo's, a hybrid, or retroing a sunpower.

Got quotes back from RS and Miracles. They both wanted over $1000 with shipping. :o RS was at least including a ghost overflow. Low iron just isn't worth that much to me.

I communicated with Dave about lighting, Probably looking at either 2 duo's, a hybrid, or retroing a sunpower.

theres a dude in Burlington nj who makes rimless tanks cheap. doesn't normally use low iron due to cost. now granted he makes them in his garage and they are nice, but atre they as perfect on the corners as a big manufacture, No. but he does warranty them for a year and I have had mine up and running for 8 months now with some pretty large waves in it. I got a 16 gallon (24x14x11), I think I paid like 115 bucks. if interested PM me, and I will send you his contact info. He does overflows, aios etc as well.

theres a dude in Burlington nj who makes rimless tanks cheap. doesn't normally use low iron due to cost. now granted he makes them in his garage and they are nice, but atre they as perfect on the corners as a big manufacture, No. but he does warranty them for a year and I have had mine up and running for 8 months now with some pretty large waves in it. I got a 16 gallon (24x14x11), I think I paid like 115 bucks. if interested PM me, and I will send you his contact info. He does overflows, aios etc as well.

That's who is making mine. He used to post here. Not sure if he still does.

I'm thinking about using an Ocean Revive LED fixture temporarily until I can save up enough for a pair of nanonox duos. Looks like the spread on it would be perfect for my dimensions. If it only lasted a year it would be worth it at $199. Anyone have experience with them?

I'm thinking about using an Ocean Revive LED fixture temporarily until I can save up enough for a pair of nanonox duos. Looks like the spread on it would be perfect for my dimensions. If it only lasted a year it would be worth it at $199. Anyone have experience with them?

Good luck on the build/no fumar.

I've been running the OR on my 40 for a year now....bought it just to see how it would do until I finished a new cube. Running it for the past couple of months side by side with a Radion G3.

I prefer the color output of the OR.

Actually contemplating dumping the Radion and sticking with the OR.

First pic of the new tank under construction.

24030931972_411c4301b5_z.jpg

I've decided to get the OR fixture to get things started and later on buy a ATI Sunpower and have Dave F retrofit it with his LED's.

I've been thinking a lot about sand. I liked having the bare bottom but I'm wondering if it would be more beneficial or detrimental for the angler. Also concerned about having a black starboard bottom and having the angler decide he needs to be jet black too.

Stand drawing. This is a top down view with the left side being the top and the right side is the bottom. I tried doing it in sketchup but it was giving me a headache.

23648770543_2a5d733f50_z.jpg

The sump will sit in the large open area in the middle. The plumbing will be framed in with an access panel at the bottom of the middle drawing and the top of the middle drawing is an electrical panel. The tank is offset on the ledge to the far left side of the drawing.

My house used to have a front porch. The previous owners framed it in and made a room out of it but they left the window frame which goes between the front room and the living room. I am building the stand so that the tank extends out over the window frame. It will be viewable from all four sides. My Lazy Boy recliner sits next to the window frame so I will have a good view of it from my chair.

New tank pictures. I'm picking it up next weekend and then stand construction can begin.

24294999275_bc742e53cc_z.jpg

24268861816_4a2f70c4f3_z.jpg

23999411060_668ac5806d_z.jpg

The last one is my view from the easy chair. Technically viewable from all four sides although that one is obstructed.

• 4 weeks later...

24803828085_fbaf7076df_z.jpg

24685970542_a16c05d963_z.jpg

It's getting there. Still have some equipment to buy plus salt, rock, etc. I ended up scrapping the stand plans and using my old one. It was bright yellow. Sanded it and repainted it an off white.

Full siphon on the left, emergency in the middle, and partial on the right.

So far so good on the leak test. Overflow is dead silent. That tunze pump however is not. May have to go with a jebao. I know they are quiet.

Almost time to get some warts up in this beyotch :D

Getting there. I will be able to order the rest of my Apex stuff, the ATO reservoir, and some odds and ends this month. Only thing I will be missing equipment wise is a couple of RW-4's. Plus I still need salt, starboard, sand, test stuff, etc. Hoping to add the first corals within the next three months. Cruising the high seas in March so I'll have to see what the funds look like after that.

Still up in the air about rocks. Always wanted to try out some live gulf rock but I'm not convinced the potential problems are worth it over some nice Florida dry rock.

jedimasterben

Getting there. I will be able to order the rest of my Apex stuff, the ATO reservoir, and some odds and ends this month. Only thing I will be missing equipment wise is a couple of RW-4's. Plus I still need salt, starboard, sand, test stuff, etc. Hoping to add the first corals within the next three months. Cruising the high seas in March so I'll have to see what the funds look like after that.

Still up in the air about rocks. Always wanted to try out some live gulf rock but I'm not convinced the potential problems are worth it over some nice Florida dry rock.

http://www.kpaquatics.com/product/live-rock-aquacultured/

Ask them for uncured and to ship after their next collection. :)

Archived