Cultivated Reef

Bubble tip nem poll

erinwillett

Does your BTA walk and sting?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Does your bubble tip nem move around a lot?

• No, hasn't moved once
    • Moved once or twice at first but never since
    • Moves occasionally
    • Moves all the time
  2. 2. Does your bubble tip sting corals?

• No, never has
    • Once or twice at first
    • Stings everything, murderer

Just curious to have a poll instead of various threads with conflicting experience...

Seriously considering a RBTA for my clown to potentially host, but I finally have a bunch of LPS, and soft coral and I'm nervous about it wreaking havoc so just looking for numbers out of curiosity.

BTA can kill Zoas, burn clams, cause LPS to recede, etc.

But if you arrange your corals properly you shouldn't have an issue; they stay in place when they're happy.

When you first add it, it will probably move all over until it finds a spot it likes. Unfortunately anything in its way may get stung. Once it finds a spot though, it generally chills unless the lighting/flow changes.

Fingers crossed you get lucky the first time. Mine moved the first couple of days, but was also one of the firs things I put into my tank. Hasn't moved more than an inch in the past 2 years. Even after I moved from my apartment to the new house. It has been keeping the encrusting gorgonia in check though, sting it all the time, but the gorgonia just doesn't give up.

Basically, you're dealing with a sack of water with stinging abilities and no brain,just sense on what to do. I've had multiple nems that stay where I put em and others that would move every couple days or weeks. They would sometimes trample coral but never seem to do anything more then make a few close a bit. It definitely helps if it's first addition so you can kinda plan around that. But it does have a foot.

*it should also be noted I have lawntip anemones,which are known for their good manners :P*

When we got ours it just moved from the rock it came on to rock we already had in the tank (maybe 2 inches) and hasn't moved since. We had 1 in our previous tank and it never moved in the 2 years we had the tank, but when it split, the splits would move for a day or 2 before settling down

BTA can kill Zoas, burn clams, cause LPS to recede, etc.

But if you arrange your corals properly you shouldn't have an issue; they stay in place when they're happy.

I currently have a BTA surrounded by zoas, another chilling next to a clam and another hanging with some SPS and everyone is fine. Maybe I'm just lucky. :lol:

• 1 month later...

It depends a lot on the space you have in the tank. If you can give it room to move around and get settled you should be fine. Honestly one of the coolest animals you can have in a Reef.

Archived