Innovative Marine Aquariums

Bowen's IM Fusion 10 - Pt. 2

Bowen1022

:( sorry to hear about your fish.

It's never fun losing one. (I know)

Was it acting funny prior? I've seen fish die from a new tank and most of the time it's because of ammonia. Usually they'll act weird prior to going, so his sudden death is unusual.

He wasn't acting super funny. The only 'different' thing he was doing was rubbing up against the siliconed corner last night for a while but I didn't think anything of it I thought he was maybe trying to itch himself or whatever.

Sorry about the fish. Did you add any bacteria during the cycle? Like a bottle of biospira?

Nice aquascape, makes me want to do a make over for mine.

Hope the ghost skimmer works well. I had it running for 10 days and couldn't stand the sound and it wasn't really skimming much for me. Seems like a hit or miss for folks. I got an airstone skimmer and it produced light colored skimmate and crudes in there but there are drawbacks.

Sorry about the fish. Did you add any bacteria during the cycle? Like a bottle of biospira?

Nice aquascape, makes me want to do a make over for mine.

Hope the ghost skimmer works well. I had it running for 10 days and couldn't stand the sound and it wasn't really skimming much for me. Seems like a hit or miss for folks. I got an airstone skimmer and it produced light colored skimmate and crudes in there but there are drawbacks.

Yeah I added a big bottle of biospira the first week I set up (Jan 10). I started with dry rock from BRS so that might have been what has delayed the cycle.

Thanks for the compliment! A lot of people like it haha.

As for the skimmer I am debating on whether to keep it or not. I'm in the process of cleaning everything and getting myself back on track. So I will probably be deciding that within the next week or two

Well I did about a 50% water change today, it was WC day anyway so I decided I should try and get my water parameters back to normal. I cleaned the back chambers of debris and re organized everything while I was at it. I got a new cube stand which has made everything much more clean looking. Here are some random photos.

IMG_1288_zpsgnie6oj0.jpg

IMG_1287_zpsa5yh6yh2.jpg

IMG_1286_zpsbyqmpgso.jpg

IMG_1285_zpsqb1zflfi.jpg

• Like 2

Very nice, I like the new stand. Everything looks nice and clean and organized :)

Sorry about the fish. Usually high levels of nitrates won't bother fish, but if you were seeing any nitrites at all, that's a sign that you've got ammonia levels above zero, which could be what did it. I wasn't sure if you meant nitrites or nitrates were high.

If it was nitrates, it could just have been ich or some other pre-existing condition.

Very nice, I like the new stand. Everything looks nice and clean and organized :)

Sorry about the fish. Usually high levels of nitrates won't bother fish, but if you were seeing any nitrites at all, that's a sign that you've got ammonia levels above zero, which could be what did it. I wasn't sure if you meant nitrites or nitrates were high.

If it was nitrates, it could just have been ich or some other pre-existing condition.

Thanks teeny,

And I was seeing levels of nitrites so I'm pretty confident that's what did him in. Now I just know to test twice before adding anything.

Like I mentioned I did do a water change and am monitoring my corals. I think one is STNing but I'm not sure:/ oh man how this hobby is stressful lol.

And thanks everyone for the support! The community here on nano-reef is awesome :)

Here are some random update photos

Zoas

IMG_1332_zpsw218bafs.jpg

IMG_1333_zpspjmnydyn.jpg

Blue German Digi

IMG_1336_zpsyhfjimjx.jpg

Lavender Mint Sarmentosa

IMG_1340_zpsyyopblx4.jpg

Birdsnest

IMG_1341_zpsck4xwwr4.jpg

Hammer

IMG_1334_zpslok4bbrp.jpg

IMG_1335_zpsedp6w1up.jpg

• Like 1

Tested my basic param's today and got

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 0

pH: 8.2

Also did a one gallon water change. While doing the change I noticed that my unknown SPS frag is turning white on the backside that is facing the back wall. I think it was probably due to my light not covering that backside so I moved the light more centered and am hoping it colors back up. If anyone has any other ideas please tell.

On a better note all my zoa polyps are out and I have had some good polyp extension on my birds nest and blue german digi as well as the non white side of the unknown. My sarmentosa doesn't have wonderful extension but it does a little. Hopefully everything starts coloring back up as well.

Here is a random photo of my unknown SPS frag. If anyone knows what it is feel free to chime in! It has been showing great polyp extension the last few days.

IMG_1415_zps58abbhwq.jpg

I'm hoping to get it to color a bit more in the next few weeks. Besides trying to raise my calcium levels everything seems to be doing great.

Got some of my new toys today

IMG_0949_zps1iep7cpo.jpg

IMG_0951_zpsrhranosh.jpg

IMG_0953_zpsqxmjqfnn.jpg

Just a for fun shot:

IMG_0947_zpsjacscyr8.jpg

Being in college makes me miss home

FullSizeRender_zps1l4b5mte.jpg

Great looking tank so far! Do you have any reviews on the AquaSmart micro? I'm thinking about getting one for my fusion as well. I'm assuming you have placed it in the 3rd chamber as we'll. Thanks!

Great looking tank so far! Do you have any reviews on the AquaSmart micro? I'm thinking about getting one for my fusion as well. I'm assuming you have placed it in the 3rd chamber as we'll. Thanks!

Honestly it's the only ATO I've used. I absolutely love it because it is so small and easy to work with. The set up is extremely easy as well, the only thing is to make sure you place the siphon breaker above your ato container because it does drip water. Everything in the package is very small too so the pump fits in just about any container.

If I had one compliant it would be that the magnets are not 'that' strong but they do still work. And the beeping is super loud but I guess that is a good thing too.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input! I've been eyeing it for awhile. And although I recently purchased the IM hydrofill I heard some horror stories so it's currently in the box with receipt unopened pending possible return.

• Like 1

Started dosing BRS 2 Part today. Also got a ton of new corals. Here is a sneak peek until I can get some more photos up.

IMG_0939_zps1tiw9mi8.jpg

IMG_0945_zpsrznh3eya.jpg

IMG_0942_zpskaugyqkx.jpg

IMG_0941_zpscswqvljc.jpg

IMG_0940_zpspknkslcn.jpg

IMG_0930_zps1tcujucn.jpg

Then a sweet shot of the hammer, the photo is actually what it looks like not too blue

IMG_0902_zpsjycg2d3t.jpg

• Like 3

Made an awesome swap with a local reefer, venison for frags (I'm pretty sure I got the better end of the deal).

The list of goodies I got;

Tri-Color Acro

Orange Montipora Setosa

ORA Red Planet

Orange Monti Cap

3 polyp Armor of God

1 polyp Ultra Red People Eater (same plug as AOG)

1 polyp Magician

1 polyp GB Juggernaut

9-10 head Red Acan

Currently in class, pics to follow

• Like 1

Here are some better photos (Any idea how to get the timestamp off?) Enjoy :happy:

Tri Color:

IMG_0972_zps9nxwz6fp.jpg

IMG_0970_zpseqjg6mke.jpg

Orange Setosa (Kinda washed out but you can see it better in other photos):

IMG_0959_zpspzvytljq.jpg

ORA Red Planet:

IMG_0973_zpsuhveolrb.jpg

Orange Monti Cap:

IMG_1459_zpsyjnfesdj.jpg

Red Acan:

IMG_0967_zpsadxwmf4y.jpg

Armor of God w/Ultra Red People Eater:

IMG_0934_zpszjytuu0q.jpg

IMG_0976_zpszgile9q8.jpg

Magician Zoa:

IMG_0948_zpsnxngkgn3.jpg

GB Juggernaut:

IMG_0947_zpsa1elvm0c.jpg

• Like 2

Made an awesome swap with a local reefer, venison for frags (I'm pretty sure I got the better end of the deal).

The list of goodies I got;

Tri-Color Acro

Orange Montipora Setosa

ORA Red Planet

Orange Monti Cap

3 polyp Armor of God

1 polyp Ultra Red People Eater (same plug as AOG)

1 polyp Magician

1 polyp GB Juggernaut

9-10 head Red Acan

Currently in class, pics to follow

I'm almost 100% certain you got the best deal because the acans, and acros will easily be worth over 150 or more depending on the size.
  • Like 1

I'm almost 100% certain you got the best deal because the acans, and acros will easily be worth over 150 or more depending on the size.

I am sure lol. He is a great guy and was helping me out. How is your tank doing PieMan?

I think my cap may be STN'ing Im not sure

Here is a photo of it on Tuesday morning

IMG_1459_zpsyjnfesdj.jpg

Here is just now (sorry for super blue)

IMG_1471_zpswni453y8.jpg

There appear to be small brown 'strings' on the white part and you can kinda see in the photos the white part has gotten a little larger since Tuesday. I don't know a lot about STN/RTN subject so any input would be appreciated.

I would move the monti down low. That's where I have mine, they are not too light demanding as some other acros. Also you may want to break or cut off some healthy parts of the monti to salvage it.

• Like 2

I would definitely break off some frags right away to try and save it. I've never had a monti cap STN like that so I don't know what else you could do. :(

The new frags look awesome, though! :)

• Like 1

Nice rockwork....good start

Thanks dferrari!

I would move the monti down low. That's where I have mine, they are not too light demanding as some other acros. Also you may want to break or cut off some healthy parts of the monti to salvage it.

I glued it to the rock :unsure: I thought it would look sweet there so I went for it. I might frag it tonight

I would definitely break off some frags right away to try and save it. I've never had a monti cap STN like that so I don't know what else you could do. :(

The new frags look awesome, though! :)

Thanks for the help. Any idea on how to frag without supplies lol? And its weird because it is happening super slow. Thanks for the complements :)

• Like 1