Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Shooting corals in acrylic tanks

uwharrie

Any suggestions for getting good shots thru an acrylic ( Biocube 29) tank. Canon 5DMKIII

Have tried different lenses, ( kit, macro, L lens). nothing is as sharp as I would like. I am thinking with acrylic tanks "sharp" just ain't going to happen.

Any suggestions for getting good shots thru an acrylic ( Biocube 29) tank. Canon 5DMKIII

Have tried different lenses, ( kit, macro, L lens). nothing is as sharp as I would like. I am thinking with acrylic tanks "sharp" just ain't going to happen.

Make sure the lens is parallel with the tank Follow the tips in Jeremais thread

You can certainly get sharp shots through acrylic...Heres a few of mine from my old build.

14592163826_a1c937c966_z.jpg

14435025227_d3fa3c01e2_z.jpg

16839272659_15f1d9310c_z.jpg

16176394331_c877253935_z.jpg

biocubes are actually glass, not acrylic. I found that it was harder to shoot from the front because the glass is a bit bowed out. So it was easier for me to get the lens parallel on the sides, but like rehype mentions, getting the lens parallel to the glass is important to limit distortion etc.

(here's my disclaimer: I'm terrible at shooting aquarium shots, BUT if I take my time and get the lens parallel, they are a little less awful :) )

I just assumed it was acrylic. It sure feels ( and scratches) like acrylic! Good to here it is not.

biocubes are actually glass, not acrylic. I found that it was harder to shoot from the front because the glass is a bit bowed out. So it was easier for me to get the lens parallel on the sides, but like rehype mentions, getting the lens parallel to the glass is important to limit distortion etc.

(here's my disclaimer: I'm terrible at shooting aquarium shots, BUT if I take my time and get the lens parallel, they are a little less awful :) )

I just assumed it was acrylic. It sure feels ( and scratches) like acrylic! Good to here it is not.

Huh! I didn't have any problems with scratching in mine. I wonder if we had different models.

Mine came with scratches ( used) I have been uber careful

Huh! I didn't have any problems with scratching in mine. I wonder if we had different models.

They are glass. And yeah, the bowed glass distorts. Shots from the flat sides come out clearer.

I wish they were acrylic as bent acrylic supposedly does not distort as much as glass does.

I wish they were acrylic as bent acrylic supposedly does not distort as much as glass does.

Unfortunately bent acrylic distorts just as bad as glass IME

Archived