Innovative Marine Aquariums

Sand help

cowabunga-reefer

cowabunga-reefer

Hi all,

Looking for a little help on choosing a new sandbed. I stated in another thread that a couple months ago I had to completely remove my sandbed. I originally went with some cheap ultra fine dry sand.I think it was this http://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/fish/fish-tank-sand-gravel-substrate/caribsea-super-naturals-aquarium-sand

It was a disaster. Basically could never be cleaned well and had cyno break outs. When I removed it the smell was horrible.

Now that my tank is recovered I wanted to add sand again but i am worried about having problems again. This CaribSea Arag-Alive sand is stating that it prevents algaes, never needs replaced, etc. Is there truth to this? Is buying the expensive live sand better because it does not need to be rinsed and therefore avoiding the risk of contaminating the sand. Is there a certain brand that is highly recommended? I was thinking of going with Fiji pink this time.

thanks

Sam

fishfreak0114

I'm not sure what Caribsea claims, but I have fiji pink and so far I'm loving it. The grains don't blow around but they're not too chunky. I haven't had any algae issues with it. I doubt that rinsing the sand is the problem, the sand itself may have been leaching something. The only real reason I can think of to spend extra for live sand is if you want the beneficial bacteria it comes with (to help with cycle or something, probably not helpful for an already established tank)

You can also check out Tropic Eden Reef flakes. I think you can only buy it from Premium Aquatics, but it doesn't cost much for shipping. This is my second build with it and I've been pleased both times. I think it helps contribute to stable parameters. I don't think you need to buy live sand from a bag. It will become live once it is in you tank from your live rock. I didn't rinse the sand and cloudiness was minimal and short lasting the first day. It is worth paying for a nicer product. You do get what you pay for. Might as well get something that'll be nice to look at.

Simulated Fish

You can also check out Tropic Eden Reef flakes. I think you can only buy it from Premium Aquatics, but it doesn't cost much for shipping. This is my second build with it and I've been pleased both times. I think it helps contribute to stable parameters. I don't think you need to buy live sand from a bag. It will become live once it is in you tank from your live rock. I didn't rinse the sand and cloudiness was minimal and short lasting the first day. It is worth paying for a nicer product. You do get what you pay for. Might as well get something that'll be nice to look at.

+1 on this live sand helps some people establish a biofilter but really isn't need, just be sure you get sand that won't leach.

Dr. Pete what size topic eaden do you use in your tank?

+1 on this live sand helps some people establish a biofilter but really isn't need, just be sure you get sand that won't leach.

Dr. Pete what size topic eaden do you use in your tank?

I use the mini flakes 2 mm aragonite crumbs.

Simulated Fish

I use the mini flakes 2 mm aragonite crumbs.

Last question, sorry to high jack the tread!

Any issues will it blowing around? I plan on using the meso 2.7mm

I don't mind you asking. I have 2 tunze 6095s in my tank which have a wide flow pattern. The sand was initially blowing around when they were set to a constant flow. I have them now running in short pulses and the sand no longer moves at all. The nassarius snails have no difficulty burrowing in it. The pistol shrimp bulldozes it around his home and I have a tiny goby that sifts it through his gills. I think you'll be fine with the 2.7 mm grains.

righttirefire

I run the reef grade (dry) caribsea in both my displays my nuvo 8 with cobalt mj900 and spinstream definately digs a hole against the glass in the front corner, but no sand storm.

The sumped 20 has a 200 gph return sand mp10 running about half on short pulse mode no sand movement except my diamond goby

My deeps sand bed in my sump is live sand Bahamad oolite (caribsea) no issues it does stay a little cloudy with that live sand, no rinsing, longer and almost a foam at the surface of the water... I let it run a while and wiped the foam off the glass with a paper towel

cowabunga-reefer

i agree. The whole point of these is to look nice lol. Not sure why I cheaped out the first time. I think it was just so much to buy at once and I didn't know then that sand can be a problem. I'll check these guys out

thanks for the replies !

Archived