Innovative Marine Aquariums

Quick DIY Stand question

Simulated Fish

Simulated Fish

Hey guys!

My JBJ RL 45gal came in last night!! :haha: I am going to grab lumber tomorrow, my only day off, and get the stand built. Here is what I currently have planed - There will be a plywood sheet attached to the top, it will be skinned and cabinet doors on the outward face.

Tank stand dimensions:

28" in wide, 23" in deep, 32" in tall

Cuts Needed:

Pressure treated Pine 2X4's

4 - 20" - Side Supports

8 - 25" - Legs

4 - 28" - Front & Back Supports

1)Does this look alright to support the weight of the tank?

2)The tank is a rimless, frame-less, all glass. Do I need to do something special to support the tank because of this?

post-89131-0-96792600-1450551842_thumb.png

Edit 45 not 40 ;)

Simulated Fish

You can ditch the legs that only touch one piece of wood on the top/bottom frame.

Would a single 2x4 be enough to support 500+ Lb of weight? I'm also concerned with flexing

Simulated Fish

The wood has no less than 1000 psi capability. Each leg has >5 in2, so each leg can do 5000 lbs. Since you're going to skin it, that will also control against flexing.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wood-beams-strength-d_1480.html

Great thank you! Cant lie I don't mind over engineering, being that is only 8 bucks of wood. Is there any special construction I need to do new the tank has no frame?

Beautiful stand BTW very well done!

I wouldn't use pressure treated lumber in my house for a tank stand.

Use a good grade pine 2x4,clear coat and or paint it. I sealed the inside with sealer and painted the outside.

Simulated Fish

I wouldn't use pressure treated lumber in my house for a tank stand.

Use a good grade pine 2x4,clear coat and or paint it. I sealed the inside with sealer and painted the outside.

Any reason why? I'm not sure what the difference is, I assumed PT wood was stronger.

Well PT has chemicals in it and why deal with them..... all you really need is some good doug fir 2xs and you are off.

When I built my stand for my 20 I did not even use any 2xs in the build......I just used 1x4 and 1x3 poplar and finished it off.

Simulated Fish

Well PT has chemicals in it and why deal with them..... all you really need is some good doug fir 2xs and you are off.

When I built my stand for my 20 I did not even use any 2xs in the build......I just used 1x4 and 1x3 poplar and finished it off.

Thank you for that, less chems make since! I picked up Douglas fir, good look and strong plus it was on sale :)

Thank you for that, less chems make since! I picked up Douglas fir, good look and strong plus it was on sale :)

Just remember keep it simple and it will all turn out good.

A 40 gallon is only about 340lbs with water. Add some rock and things and maybe pushing 400lbs.

Keep us posted on what you end up with.

Is there any special construction I need to do new the tank has no frame?

Just a nice flat and level top.

Beautiful stand BTW very well done!

Thanks!

Simulated Fish

Hello all! With your guys advice I started work on my stand! I can start a new tread, but I didn't want to clutter up the DIY with a new tread. ;)

Keep in mind this is all done with a cheap B&D skill saw, and hand drill! Slow and steady wins the race!

As you can see I dropped the extra support beams in the front and in the back as suggested. Honestly it made the build much easier. I went a little overboard on the L brackets :)

So far I built the core frame, cut and attached the top plywood sheet, and skined the left and right. Added a cross beam and used a spare peice of the skin wood for a floor board, its a bit small but TBH it will save a little money, pleasing the wife, and I will be the only one who sees it in the future so it doesn't bother me.

I will be skinning the front with a large panel so it is seamless. I will not be skining the back because if I do add a sump in the future I would rather keep it open with plunty of room for plumbing!

I will be using rounded square courner trim the hide the edges along the top and vertical sides to keep it clean. I'm going for a simple mission/modern style to match our decor, another point for me in the wife's eyes.

post-89131-0-84825500-1450673299_thumb.jpgpost-89131-0-78718700-1450673312_thumb.jpgpost-89131-0-95013000-1450673321_thumb.jpgpost-89131-0-67306100-1450673337_thumb.jpgpost-89131-0-13270700-1450673373_thumb.jpgpost-89131-0-42538400-1450673382_thumb.jpgpost-89131-0-13640800-1450673391_thumb.jpg

Simulated Fish

Looks good!

Thank you! Man it is a PITA wish I had more tools but I am making it happen. Still not sure what to make the door out of.

You know, my 40B had a frame so all the weight was on the sides. Yours is different, no frame. You may want to add a cross member or two, front to back, to help the plywood out and keep it from bowing.

Simulated Fish

You know, my 40B had a frame so all the weight was on the sides. Yours is different, no frame. You may want to add a cross member or two, front to back, to help the plywood out and keep it from bowing.

could you elaborate on this?

Did a test fit with the tank and it was very sturdy, even more so after I skinned it. This is without water though. I weld, build go-karts, so I have a basic idea but this is my first carpentry project.

could you elaborate on this?

Did a test fit with the tank and it was very sturdy, even more so after I skinned it. This is without water though. I weld, build go-karts, so I have a basic idea but this is my first carpentry project.

VyWB3Kf.jpg

In no master carpenter, but If it were me i would sister some 2x3's to the inside of the vertical 2x4 legs.

Cut the 2x3s so that they run from the very bottom of the stand to the top and screw them on to your 2x4s.

Id get rid of the metal L brackets. Put 2 2x3s in each corner. For example In the front right put one up against the 2x4 and the other 2x3 on the inside front of the stand and screw to top and bottom 2x4. Make sure to use the right amount and size screws.

I would sleep better at night.

In no master carpenter, but If it were me i would sister some 2x3's to the inside of the vertical 2x4 legs.

Cut the 2x3s so that they run from the very bottom of the stand to the top and screw them on to your 2x4s.

Id get rid of the metal L brackets. Put 2 2x3s in each corner. For example In the front right put one up against the 2x4 and the other 2x3 on the inside front of the stand and screw to top and bottom 2x4. Make sure to use the right amount and size screws.

I would sleep better at night.

Why would you do that? The single 2x4s are strong enough. The brackets help hold them there, in addition to screws from wood-to-wood. Finally, the skinning helps too.

Like I said im no master carpenter, but Id sleep better at night.

Saltwater and metal don't play nice together.

Look at most of the other stand builds. I know the 2x4 are plenty strong. The 2x3s would add stability ,the way that he has the 2x4s stacked per say and using L brackets,I just. Wouldn't do it that way.

Like I said im no master carpenter, but Id sleep better at night.

Saltwater and metal don't play nice together.

Look at most of the other stand builds. I know the 2x4 are plenty strong. The 2x3s would add stability ,the way that he has the 2x4s stacked per say and using L brackets,I just. Wouldn't do it that way.

Don't peek behind the sheetrock on your bedroom walls.

Archived