Coral Vue Hydros

The Seneye

BRN

Hello Reefers another product review coming in for you. This one is over The Seneye monitoring system, the Seneye system is a PH, temperature, and ammonia monitor. Seneye also has a PAR, Kelvin, And Lux meter on the back. So lets get started with its features. It obviously tracks everything above, but with a little bit of style, it has an ONboard LED interface that will tell you if somethings wrong.... Alternatively you can hook it up to your computer or Seneye web server For REAL time display of your tank. With the Web server you can do it anywhere(phone, computer, and tablets) but when its hooked up to your computer you can only obviously view it from your computer and not anywhere else. Though if the Seneye is connected to the internet in any way you have the option to receive texts, and emails if any of the 3 (PH,temp,Ammonia) are out of balance.

This video will explain everything you need to know about its features, its pretty straight forward.

Here's my opinion on my product itself, mostly the par meter, Because in my opinion thats what most people buy it for. Though ill start with the monitoring system itself.

PH - It monitors the PH very accurately tested against 3 different methods of testing ph. the Probe was on par with the seneye, as well as the API, though it was off with the test strips, but that's saying more about these dip strips (dont use them). moving along 9/10

Temperature - it monitors the temp ok-ish Ive found it can be off up to 2 degrees, ouch not something id rely on. I tested this against 4 electronic monitors, 2 high accuracy (one probe, One reef-solutions controller), 2 random ones i found at petco. i also tested it against 2 calibrated accurate glass thermometers, and one medical thermometer. 5/10

Ammonia - This one takes the cake, super accurate. tested against red sea and salfert, straight up on the dot. Achieving this amount of accuracy can only be done if you soak the PH and Ammonia chip correctly. Failing to do so will throw off your reading way too much to be useful. I tested this by accident, My cockatiel Gooby knocked over my chip that was resting in its water and the reading compared to the correctly done one was not even comparable. So if done right this system works, quite well. 10/10

Overall i give the monitoring part of the system a 8/10 based on technical functionality, though im bumping this up to a 8.5 due to the software involved. Im not bumping it to a 9 though because without the web server you rely on texts and emails, instead of a extremely well though out graphical interface (when you are away from home) You will have the interface if you connect it to your computer.

Trucking forward THE LIGHT METER

Since this is what most of you are probably buying it for this part is for you :)! :wub:

PAR Meter - This thing is accurate and better than nothing. I tested the Seneye against the APEX par meter, and the biotek marine btm 3000. The two above i think are more accurate and less bulky. The apex and the biotek read very similar to each other with a diffence of less than 4-5 par and the seneye was off about 20 to those. Not much of a difference, but its there. I accually like this PAR meter, but its extremely bulky. I wish Seneye would just give you a separate sensor not attached to the Seneye. But the all in one aspect is what sells the Seneye. Having owned it now i believe this is gimmicky, and not needed a separate sensor would way more helpful in measuring designer tanks that are hard to maneuver in such as my Fluval edge. 8/10 one point off for bulkiness and one point off for the readings.

LUX meter and the KELVIN meter are actually really accurate with medical sensors and random sensors from amazon, which makes me believe these are very easy to read. I dont know much about LUX personally i understand its purpose, but for me it doesnt do as much as the Kelvin. The kelvin is REALLY cool in this thing. The real time updates with it are awesome. I changed my radion light spectrum with the help of the kelvin and par meter and ive got to say my acro is encrusting more and everything (over the course of a month). 9/10 one point off because its bulky.

So overall the light meter gets a 8.5 which ill jump up to a 9 because of the software, again this software is truely awesome. Both the beta version and the web based version.

Software and hardware review - The software for the Seneye is amazing, i love it. nothing more to be said here its opinion. The hardware though is not opinion, this is fact. The seneye is made out of durable HARDY plastic and should never break unless you slam it. The chip interface and connections are SOLID. 10ft wire makes it easy to use with your computer aswell.

DO NOT TAKE IT APART though im crazy, dont be me. overall quality is amazing here. 10/10

okay So my negatives on this product follows

PH - No real negatives here other then the cost of the ph and amm chip, which is 10 dollars. So this bad boy will run you 10 dollars a month for real time monitoring. Worth it in my book.

Temp - This isnt as accurate as id like it to be, but honestly thats okay, Ive gone through roughly 15 thermometers trying to find accurate ones. Nothing beats a probe though.

Ammonia - again the cost of the chip and if you dont soak it right youll get false readings. Seriously watch their how to videos before even opening your Seneye box.

Par meter - isnt as accurate as the par only meters which run the same price. Its still a good frame point for such applications though, especially if you want the monitoring system as well.

Lux - sorry i have no comment on this and would prefer not to give my 2 cents or advice acting like i know what going on with it.

Kelvin - no complaints other then bulkiness

Slide costs 10 dollars a month, isnt really that bad to be honest.

OVERALL the Seneye is a really awesome product and if you have money to throw out the window on something you dont need (basically this hobby as a whole) then id recommend this product. HOWEVER if you are only looking at this product for the par meter only Id go with the Sq420 or the apex if you already have a apex module.

Ill update this thread with pictures, but for now youll have to use the link i posted from brs to get a better look at what the interface looks like.

A little vague of a description, sorry about that - stressed for time (wrote this in the 30 minutes). If you have any questions contact me through this post.

PS- am i no way affiliated with the Seneye team and nor did i receive any payment for this basic written review.

Happy Reefing

- BRN

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have purchase this back in October and honestly feel like there could be some improvements. I don't find the PH or Amonia readings to be accurate at all. I also have had some software issues with the product as well. Overall great concept, just needs improvement, maybe loose the slides..

Archived