SaltCritters.com

My First (DIY 10 gal. AIO) Nano Reef

aj.solis

Finally back from Christmas vacation and wedding I was in. Luckily I ordered some stuff during that time. When I got home my light bulb and media was here and should be getting the parts for my return tomorrow. Hoping my budget light will do ok growing softies. Will be buying egg crate to hold media and put on bottom of display, sand, water and live rock this week so I can begin cycling.

post-89902-0-00318600-1451882447_thumb.jpeg

post-89902-0-72440500-1451882460_thumb.jpeg

post-89902-0-24382300-1451882509_thumb.jpeg

Looks pretty cool. How did you cut the teeth on the acrylic and where did you find the flow rates for them?

I cut the teeth with a table saw. As for flow rate I watch the king of diy on YouTube he does a lot of freshwater stuff but on a video he mentioned the rate for one tooth so just multiplied it.

I would love to have a nano box they look amazing. I'm trying to do this build on a small budget tho. I already have cichlid tanks and when I told my wife I was going to do a saltwater all she could say was they are so expensive and hard to keep and that all the fish would die at first. Lol she just going off what others have told her. So I told her I could keep it cheap.

Cost so far

Tank $0 (already had but would be $10 from petco)

Acrylic $18 (was 7 before shipping)

Pump $7 (it's a 200gph sun sun pump. I know not good but needed cheap and they have done well for my freshwater)

Silicone $5

Total so far $40 if I include cost of tank

Still need media, live rock (know lfs well and am getting it $2 a lb), sand and lighting. Ooo and of course livestock

Where did you buy the acrylic cut to size for that price?

Where did you buy the acrylic cut to size for that price?

A place called Mr. Plastic. They ship as well.

Any thoughts on the light bulb I purchased? Will it be okay temporarily? I'll be saving up to get an AI Prime or nano box eventually

When I got home my light bulb and media was here and should be getting the parts for my return tomorrow. Hoping my budget light will do ok growing softies.

Any thoughts on the light bulb I purchased? Will it be okay temporarily? I'll be saving up to get an AI Prime or nano box eventually

A place called Mr. Plastic. They ship as well. Any thoughts on the light bulb I purchased? Will it be okay temporarily? I'll be saving up to get an AI Prime or nano box eventually

What kind of bulb is it? Lighting it probably the most expensive part of the hobby. You have to provide enough light to fulfill the photosynthetic demand of coral. Yet florescent bulbs and metal halides will throw alot of heat into the tank. On the cheap par 38 led bulbs or a discount fixture or used fixture may be your best bet..

My absolute honest opinion is that that bulb will be fine for Soft Corals.

It wouldn't surprise me if most people think you need something fancier, but I've used something similar over a 4g Pico tank with Softies and Macros and it did great.

It's the tank in my Sig, if you want to see what I mean.

I would love to have a nano box they look amazing. I'm trying to do this build on a small budget tho. I already have cichlid tanks and when I told my wife I was going to do a saltwater all she could say was they are so expensive and hard to keep and that all the fish would die at first. Lol she just going off what others have told her. So I told her I could keep it cheap.

Cost so far

Tank $0 (already had but would be $10 from petco)

Acrylic $18 (was 7 before shipping)

Pump $7 (it's a 200gph sun sun pump. I know not good but needed cheap and they have done well for my freshwater)

Silicone $5

Total so far $40 if I include cost of tank

Still need media, live rock (know lfs well and am getting it $2 a lb), sand and lighting. Ooo and of course livestock

If you do the necessary research and follow it, really pay attention and are conscientious, you can do a budget build. I should know, I'm the Queen of Budget Reefing and I have more than once done the kind of thing you are attempting.

There are plenty of people who spend (and lose) a lot of money and have a lot of fish die, but those people also just rush in without paying attention and also sometimes get their livestock from sources that aren't the best.

Really research everything, if you get conflicting advice listen to the person who has the healthy system that has been running longer, get some soft corals growing well then frag them and start trading frags w/people on here. I did that and was able to do a lot of cool stuff that way. It CAN be done!! Frag Swaps are great as well.

The DIY Forum would probably be a good resource for you.

You can DIY your own Protein Skimmer when you are ready for one, although what you are off to a really good start with what you are already doing.

Here are some simple builds done well:

http://www.nano-reef.com/featured/_/2008/c-est-ma-r9

(the very first N-R tank of the month!!)

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/177501-4-year-old-40-breeder/

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/106629-the-stoney-waters-experience/

These were actually ALL featured as Tank of the Month at one point. All were very simple, all were very intelligently done and well thought out, done by people who really paid attention to the biology of Reef-Keeping. The last one had some amazing DIY on it.

Update: here is a FTS and pic of desk in office. What y'all think of aquascape? I have cured rock and live rock and have been dosin 3ml. Of pure ammonia everyday. Cycle is going well.

Question: I have extra room in media chamber, should I put more purigen or chemipure?

post-89902-0-92383500-1452749641_thumb.jpeg

post-89902-0-72315500-1452749650_thumb.jpeg

Was going to suggest the same! If you keep any corals that require lots of light having a tall perch will be handy.

Just my two cents and for what it's worth, I would put mor rocks vertically. You have a lot of empty space. ?

Just my two cents and for what it's worth, I would put mor rocks vertically. You have a lot of empty space.

awesome glad you said that. Was thinking I should but wasn't sure and I have a lot of extra rock.

Was going to suggest the same! If you keep any corals that require lots of light having a tall perch will be handy.

I was thinking stacking it higher near the back wall. Will that be ok? Any suggestions?

Just try not to touch or get too close to the glass so you can clean there. I didn't think about rocks close to the glass and I try to use my handy dandy razor blade but even then there are a couple spots I can't get too.?

So I added more media but I had to lower my pump. Which is a bummer. It is emptying the 3rd chamber. On a cool note starting to see life in the tank. A bristle star came out of the live rock.

post-89902-0-85944600-1453171296_thumb.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

cycling is going well. In the middle of it and got algae growing. I turned off light and set temp at 80F to finish off the cycle. anyone think I should do it differently?

post-89902-0-64774800-1453909665_thumb.jpg

post-89902-0-00119200-1453909671_thumb.jpg

Archived