Cultivated Reef

Dinos? Something else? Now with better pics

davy jones

So far no noticable return of the dinos.. I do however have increased algea growth, especially on the glass. I was gone for 4 days over the holidays and came back and it was pretty thick on the glass.

Going to do a waterchange tomorrow and see how that goes.

I am hopeful but not delusional lol I dont think that this battle is over.

Thanks, ill need it! Not sure what caused the dinos to bloom in the first place but if i had to put money it would be the over dosing of NoPox and the lack of flow. But really there is no way for me to tell what it is.

Im just happy i caught it before all out plauge porportions.

As expected they started returning. There are a few things that might have brought this on.

Epoxy, i epoxied down all my frags.

No skimmer, havent been able to use the skimmer since the epoxy, just overflows in seconds no matter how much i adjust it.

My digi was stning from the base up due to lack of alk, so i did a few waterchanges to bring it back to normal. I also stopped dosing h2o2 in case that was having an effect.

My lighting changed drastically, I cut led's by about 25% as well as 2 t5 bulbs stopped working (new ballast is here today wooo)

I am going to try another blackout and h2o2 as that worked well before (3 weeks is better than nothing)

I am also going to try and order a large amount of copepods to introduce into the tank (i read that they will eat dinos if there is a large enough population and there is a few enough amount of dinos)

If this doesnt work the next method to try is the dirty tank method.. No WC's, No skimming, no GFO, the idea here is to get some basic algea growth and other micro fauna, apperently dinos dont do well in slightly elevated nutrients.

I know but for how long lol I picked up some kalkwrasser and red sea foundation supplements to keep stuff where it needs to be but I can't never do a waterchange!

Your plan looks good I just had that problem I tried 3 days lights out it wasn't enough it took 8 days and boom no visible Dino plus I was dosing peroxide

DinoX worked *very* well for me. It might work well for you, too. I bought mine from BRS a while back and it knocked them out permanently. Who knows if it will have the same effect on your species, but this is something that you don't want to fool around with because it can knock your corals out very quickly. Afterward, it would be a great idea to run a UV sterilizer like some people already mentioned. I recommend a Vecton. Some people think that a bigger, cheaper one is better, but this is definitely not true. Dwell time and the space between the bulb and the container wall are very important, and a big UV sterilizer that doesn't force all of the water to pass by the bulb in the effective distance won't do you much good. A good-quality UV sterilizer will kill floating dino cells and cysts in the water column. I assume that you bleached (or used some other oxidizer like oxy clean (unscented), etc) on your equipment and replaced all media, because it would be bad to reintroduce them that way, too.

Here the little buggers are under a microscope. Trying to get a solid I'D now and will go from there. Very very hesitant on dino x as like you said, it's tough on corals.

I have green flexi tube running from the return to the tank, so not sure how I would plumb in a sterilizer to the return pump.. (plumbing is my lowest knowledgeable area when it comes to reefing.)

• 4 weeks later...
jedimasterben

Here the little buggers are under a microscope. Trying to get a solid I'D now and will go from there. Very very hesitant on dino x as like you said, it's tough on corals.

ID is ostreopsis.

I'm starting to get some Dinos too :/ my lfs told me to do 24 blackout once a week. We'll see how hay goes.

That won't do anything. Do a week long blackout.

Archived