Top Shelf Aquatics

Red Sea Reefer 170 now 250 Build Thread

phillyclownfish

phillyclownfish

Recently purchased the Red Sea Reefer 170. It should be here on Friday. I will be transferring everything from my PiCo Aquarium. Upgraded 170 to a 250.

Equipment:
Tank - Red Sea Reefer 250
Light - Radion XR30w
Heater - 150W
Protein Skimmer - Reef Octopus 110 SSS + Filter sock
ATO - Tunze Osmolator with the Red Sea ato as an emergency backup
Pump - Ecotech MP10
560 gph SICCE in sump pump

Live Stock:
Fish - 2 SA Frozen Frostbite Clownfish
Wrasse - Sold

Mandarin - RIP

Kole Tang - Sold

Purple Tang - RIP

Invertebrates - 2 rainbow bubble tip nems. (Will be more since they split)

Corals - Mostly SPS

FTS 5/1/16
post-70002-0-78287800-1462130355_thumb.jpeg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, I work in Philly.

I looked into getting the 170 but I already have too many tanks as is.

I was thinking of getting the RO 110SSS to upgrade from my NW110; let me know if it works good.

phillyclownfish

doesn't it already come with a built in ATO?

Yes but I doubt it holds almost 8 gallons of RO like my tunze does.

Hey, I work in Philly.

I was thinking of getting the RO 110SSS to upgrade from my NW110; let me know if it works good.

Will do. If you know anyone looking for a 20g pm me. Have my old PiCo for sale.

phillyclownfish

So I went to my LFS today and picked up the tank. I was surprised when I only saw one box and even made the comment how can the stand be in the same box as the tank. Get home and unpack the tank and guess what. No stand. LFS will be calling the wholesaler tomorrow to see where the stand is...Not very happy.

phillyclownfish

So got even more awesome news. My LFS just called saying that the wholesaler did their delivery today and once again the cabinet/stand did not come. Waiting to get a call from the wholesaler. Should be an interesting one.

Update: He said it will be here Saturday....

Sorry to hear about this ! :o

Eventually I am sure they will sort things out, but the waiting ..........thats the worst part !

Just following along your 170 build .......... I am teetering on the very edge of just getting one of these !

phillyclownfish

Which LFS are you using? I guess THR?

ASR.

Got the stand today. The holes to screw on the front door do not line up....Not happy so I am going to try to figure out another way to get it on. However I did fill it up 1/3 of the way and added the live sand. Hopefully will do the transfer tomorrow.

ASR.

Got the stand today. The holes to screw on the front door do not line up....Not happy so I am going to try to figure out another way to get it on. However I did fill it up 1/3 of the way and added the live sand. Hopefully will do the transfer tomorrow.

Really? Any pictures?
phillyclownfish

Yes would be interesting as Red Sea is on top of there game.......

Not like a Cad Lights set up :o

Really? Any pictures?

I did not take any pictures but the top hinge lined up fine but the bottom one you could see half of a hole, about a quarter of another one and then you could not see two of them. Also I did not have the top screwed in so I had all the leverage possible to get those screws in. Pretty much I had the door all the way in to the stand and I still could not reached all the holes. Either the mounting on the door is to far from the edge or the holes in the stand were drilled to far in to the stand.

I also unscrewed the hinge to see if I could get it a bit closer to the edge but still no luck.

I did not take any pictures but the top hinge lined up fine but the bottom one you could see half of a hole, about a quarter of another one and then you could not see two of them. Also I did not have the top screwed in so I had all the leverage possible to get those screws in. Pretty much I had the door all the way in to the stand and I still could not reached all the holes. Either the mounting on the door is to far from the edge or the holes in the stand were drilled to far in to the stand.

Wow just seems weird as all the red seas I have seen all work out great. a few 170s that went together like butter and also a nano.

phillyclownfish

Wow just seems weird as all the red seas I have seen all work out great. a few 170s that went together like butter and also a nano.

It definitely is a quality tank but was surprised to see this issue arise. Ive done three biocube stands and never once had an issue. Also I think they should of included more safety for the return line. I ended up getting zip ties to be safe. Also the hose for the ATO tank was not there. Planning on using the tunze anyways. Ill call them on Monday.

It definitely is a quality tank but was surprised to see this issue arise. Ive done three biocube stands and never once had an issue. Also I think they should of included more safety for the return line. I ended up getting zip ties to be safe. Also the hose for the ATO tank was not there. Planning on using the tunze anyways. Ill call them on Monday.

Wow all kinds of crazy crap. Not really sure why you would want to use a Tunze over the new gravity fed ATO they provided? The ATO is one of my favorite features of this tank no pump to fail.
phillyclownfish

Wow all kinds of crazy crap. Not really sure why you would want to use a Tunze over the new gravity fed ATO they provided? The ATO is one of my favorite features of this tank no pump to fail.

Yeah the sent me a form to fill out. I am thinking maybe having a custom front door made for this.

The reservoir is so small to be honest. Plus I don't really see much space in the stand to pour water in it. Might last two days for me. I would really like both installed just for a back up system.

Female clown has been pacing all day along the glass. I guess she thinks a big old tang is about to come into the tank ;)

post-70002-0-56682400-1450748678_thumb.jpeg

post-70002-0-23556100-1450748846_thumb.jpeg

phillyclownfish

Red sea said they will be sending me a new ato hose line and a new left side of the cabinet. Still thinking I will do a custom front door though. Cant remove the left side of the cabinet with the tank sitting on it.

• 2 weeks later...
phillyclownfish

Still waiting on the red sea items to arrive. However I did order my new top cover for the tank and also my jawfish arrived todaY!

phillyclownfish

Hey, I work in Philly.

The skimmer is amazing. Fits perfectly in the sump and is already producing results after a week of breaking it in.

Archived