Pod Your Reef

Nola's 10G Fusion - Nem Tank

Nola Bear

omgomgomg You're going to love it...

I think you're right...having a few issues, but Dave's superb customer service is shining through . Here are some of my latest pics :naughtydance:

post-89740-0-57430200-1449855117_thumb.jpg

post-89740-0-85495200-1449855133_thumb.jpg

post-89740-0-67995500-1449855140_thumb.jpg

post-89740-0-49644300-1449855149_thumb.jpg

post-89740-0-85827700-1449855158_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Moved the frogspawn up on lowest ledge today. I really want him to be happy. One of my LFS has these reallly beautiful, small red rfa's. Might have to get one after xmas, if they still have any of them. Want to put one in the corner (hopefully it will stay where I put him). :rant:

Other than that, I have my eyes set on a ric garden, similar to teeny's, and I've been scouting out KP aquatics. I need my sister to go in on an order so that we can split the shipping ;)

• Like 1

Oh yeah, got my tunze 3152 the other day :haha: . Was up until the wee hours setting it up the way I wanted it. The ATO itself was plug and play, but I had to run a line of pvc down by the baseboard and into the closet where I keep my RO jug to hide the tubes and wires. I don't have a typical stand/cabinet set up, more of a floating shelf design, sort of. I also had to build a false bottom box to put the electrical and hide the wires. I'll take a pic at some point here to show how it looks. I'm a bit OCD on both form and function (sometimes form over function... :unsure: )

• Like 2

Moved the frogspawn up on lowest ledge today. I really want him to be happy. One of my LFS has these reallly beautiful, small red rfa's. Might have to get one after xmas, if they still have any of them. Want to put one in the corner (hopefully it will stay where I put him). :rant:

Other than that, I have my eyes set on a ric garden, similar to teeny's, and I've been scouting out KP aquatics. I need my sister to go in on an order so that we can split the shipping ;)

I love those little red rfa's. My FLS hardly ever has any rfa's, though :(

I got a lot of my rics from KPA. I like KPA because the real corals actually look better than they do in the pictures on their website.

• Like 1

In my kpa order that is processing, I have a nano red brittle, and now I am worried that I should not have bought him yet. Right now, I only have corals(torch, frogspawn, zoas, mushrooms, and gsp), hermits, snails and a blood shrimp. I will have a pair of clowns in two weeks and possibly a clown goby, not sure though about the goby yet.

I'm not feeding the tank, so I'm worried the star will not have enough to sustain. Please advise. I don't want to endanger him. I could feed Mysis or pellets. What is recommended, if anything? Do you suggest that I cancel him? Please be honest with me. I've been doing research and am torn on this. He was only 4 bucks and I could take him to my lfs if need be.

Any thoughts...

• Like 1

I got one of those red brittles in my 10g tank. He did more than fine. He ate leftover mysis and brine shrimp and pellets. After about six or eight months, though, he got big and instead of eating leftovers he started taking food right out of the corals while they were eating. I eventually caught him and sold him to a local reefer with a big tank.

You will want to feed your new corals anyway, so he'll be fine eating the leftovers.

The LPS get mysis every 3 or 4 days (spot feeding). I broadcast a mix of reef roids combined with frozen calanus shrimp or frozen rotifers. Sometimes I do frozen spirulina brine shrimp instead of mysis.

• Like 1

I wanted to add some pics of the stand and set up, Shelby Rae thought I was taking a pic of her in the full shot. She perked up for sure. I have all the hardware that I plan on getting set up for now. The only other thing I would imagine getting would be a skimmer, but I don't have the need yet. I glad that I was able to keeep everything clean and hidden for the most part.

post-89740-0-82420200-1450200014_thumb.jpg

post-89740-0-92780600-1450200023_thumb.jpg

post-89740-0-40545200-1450200031_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Looking great Alex!

Thanks, Dave. And thanks again for this incredible light. If the ever want to upgrade to more channels in the future, is that a possibility?

IMG_4202_zpsflz2i4tf.jpg

Order from KP aquatics came in :naughtydance: Ordered a single mouth rainbow (came double mouth, not complaining), a double mouth orange, and an oddball. Absolutely gorgeous. I will try to get better pics soon. The wife has a wonderful camera, but I'm no photographer. I will give it a go though. For now, please accept my terrible phone shots and an apology.... :eek:

• Like 1

Cool little setup. Love seeing kids brought into this hobby.

Thanks! We are certainly trying. She and I both have a ton to learn, but we are having a bunch of fun. Everyone who comes into the house is taken directly to her tank so she can point out her shrimp, crabs and snails, and also the zoa that has a boo-boo from dadda trying to take off the plug....

• Like 1

I love those little red rfa's. My FLS hardly ever has any rfa's, though :(

I got a lot of my rics from KPA. I like KPA because the real corals actually look better than they do in the pictures on their website.

You weren't lying about KPA. These rics are incredible. And Kara was really friendly. They have my vote for sure!

These rics are good on the sand, right, or should I pick up some small rock/rubble from LFS?

• Like 1

You weren't lying about KPA. These rics are incredible. And Tara was really friendly. They have my vote for sure!

These rics are good on the sand, right, or should I pick up some small rock/rubble from LFS?

They won't stay on the sand. They need a piece of rock to anchor on to. Also make sure they are in an area of low flow, or they'll eventually let go and float away in an attempt to find a more peaceful spot. Once they get used to where they are and start to grow, you can get them used to higher flow.

I've had luck making them look like they're on the sand by burying their frag plugs under the sand.

• Like 1

Well, this is embarraissing, but I thought I'd share anyhow. I went to the LFS to buy two pieces of rubble rock to make small islands for rics and zoas. Ended up impulse buying a gbta without doing enough research. Brought it home, acclimated it, and then spent the next four hours reading online everything I could. Needless to say, after reading about nem soup and nuking tanks and recommended tank sizes...and a panic attack later :scarry: , I moved him to a quarantine and brought him back to LFS the next day. Good news, they had a sale and was able to get a gold torch and an acan for the bta :happydance: . Loving this tank.

• Like 1

They won't stay on the sand. They need a piece of rock to anchor on to. Also make sure they are in an area of low flow, or they'll eventually let go and float away in an attempt to find a more peaceful spot. Once they get used to where they are and start to grow, you can get them used to higher flow.

I've had luck making them look like they're on the sand by burying their frag plugs under the sand.

Gotcha. Picked up a nice piece of rubble to start a small ric island. I'll post a pic soon.

Need advice on temps. It's Florida and I didn't think that I would need a heater, but we got some low temps recently, and my tank temp was swinging too much, so I picked up a 50w marineland at LFS. I'm having some issues dialing in though. If I set it to 77, then the tank will go up to 80.

What is an ideal temp? Is there one? I was thinking 78-80. I've read different corals like different temps.

What is too much of a swing?

Good news, they had a sale and was able to get a gold torch and an acan for the bta :happydance: . Loving this tank.

Gold torch you say?? I just picked one up for my fusion ten a few weeks ago. It is absolutely stunning and is certainly the showpiece in the tank. Its is a bit big though, with four heads.

Make sure you don't blast it with flow. I would love to see pics! Gold torches have been on my list for over three years, and I finally bit the bullet, best decision ever!

Gotcha. Picked up a nice piece of rubble to start a small ric island. I'll post a pic soon.

Need advice on temps. It's Florida and I didn't think that I would need a heater, but we got some low temps recently, and my tank temp was swinging too much, so I picked up a 50w marineland at LFS. I'm having some issues dialing in though. If I set it to 77, then the tank will go up to 80.

What is an ideal temp? Is there one? I was thinking 78-80. I've read different corals like different temps.

What is too much of a swing?

I keep my temp at a steady 78. I found my corals were happier there than any other temp. I would save your money and spend it on a nice digital heater. I use a Finnex 100watt but my room is also 60 degrees in the winter. However, it has a nice controller and in the three years of constant use it has really done well. Of course, if you don't mind spending more, people here love the neotherm heaters.