SaltCritters.com

Nola's 10G Fusion - Nem Tank

Nola Bear

Well, I moved 98% of my corals into the new Red Sea E260, so this a reboot. I am turning this tank into a nem tank and will eventually get a small gold stripe or goldflake maroon to have to his own. Well, not entirely, I still have my TSB and my snapping shrimp in there too.

Here is the updated FTS, 12/9/17

71E5DD32-0759-4022-AB94-D071E4FB53BE.jpeg

1/7/2017

IMG_2842_zpsel9op1lk.jpg

V.1 Final FTS, 9/23/16

image_zpsxr2uglfd.jpeg

image_zpsvdleijqv.jpeg

image_zpspyuvjqms.jpeg

7/8/2016 (Need to learn how to get the colors right when I take the photo :unsure: , my tank is not this red, oh well)

IMG_2656_zps7s46gmnp.jpg

FTS. 1/1/16

4babd75d-f900-4155-9c3a-50f7c8a4d9f5_zps

So, I'm building a 10G IM Fusion with my daughter, and I've been considering a build thread. The learning curve has been absolutely ridiculous, and since my daughter just turned two, she hasn't been able to really help me with the chemistry and calculus of this hobby...but she loves to say FISHY sweet kid.

We built a stand that has integrated directly into her playroom and have filled and cycled the tank. We have the following setup

Nuvo Fusion 10g

Stock pump (purchased mj900 but was too much flow)

Jebao jw4 (12v lowest setting)

Tunze 3152, ordered

In tank media basket (running floss and carbon)

Nano Tide, ordered

Carib sea live sand

LFS Haitian live rock

Stock Plans

Cuc

Blood shrimp

Halloween hermits

Torch

Gsp

Mushrooms

Zoas

Hammer

Ric garden

Pair of clowns for Xmas

Etc

Etc

Etc

Pics to follow

71E5DD32-0759-4022-AB94-D071E4FB53BE.jpeg

• Like 7

post-89740-0-49082700-1449544682_thumb.jpg

Yay! Another fusion tank :) im obsessed with mine.

Cant wait for pics

It's an incredible tank. I love how classy it is while still being user friendly. I'm also a huge fan of this community. :grouphug: I've been raving about it to my wife, she might even be getting a bit jelly... :slap:

Here are the start up pics. Water test, cycle and first scape.

post-89740-0-66370100-1449544879_thumb.jpg

post-89740-0-59731500-1449544960_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I'm also a huge fan of this community. :grouphug: I've been raving about it to my wife, she might even be getting a bit jelly... :slap:

Just show her some pages of Lawman's Lounge, it should change her mind. If she has any sense of humor she will be coming on here just to read that thread lol!

My boyfriend saw me reading it the other night and started to read it too.. However, the topic a night ago was something he couldn't believe (you will have to look a couple pages back to know what I mean, something about being jewish..) Now he reads it everyntime I'm on it. People here are so funny, I can't stop liking posts because everyone makes me laugh. I love it here too!

• Like 3

After weeks of cycling, I couldn't have been happier to get my CUC. I may have been more happy than I should have been to get my halloween hermit, Burton, and my blood shrimp, Elmo (Thanks, sweetie :rolleyes:) I also got some scarlets and snails.

Here's Elmo. The first day in, he molted, and over the following days, he's settled in. He is definitely my daughter's fav.

post-89740-0-29189200-1449546342_thumb.jpg

post-89740-0-11112000-1449547529_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Just show her some pages of Lawman's Lounge, it should change her mind. If she has any sense of humor she will be coming on here just to read that thread lol!

My boyfriend saw me reading it the other night and started to read it too.. However, the topic a night ago was something he couldn't believe (you will have to look a couple pages back to know what I mean, something about being jewish..) Now he reads it everyntime I'm on it. People here are so funny, I can't stop liking posts because everyone makes me laugh. I love it here too!

Definitely will check that out. i think she will come around. i took her to the local LFS the other day and she was picking out all the most expensive and difficult corals (she's got a gift... :bling: ). Luckily, the guy working convinced us otherwise...good man~ :bowdown:

Well, I'm caught up to the present. I added the first corals: a torch, zoa frag, a mushroom and some gsp. I've got pods like crazy, and I will keep to 10-20% weekly water changes and daily top offs until I get the ATO

post-89740-0-99198800-1449548576_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Luckily, the guy working convinced us otherwise...good man~ :bowdown:

I love truthful fish stores.

I was in mine a few days ago. This man came in to get his water tested from his first tank and it turned out that his tank was still in the middle of a cycle with some nitrites and high nitrates.

He wanted a bunch of corals to add to his tank but the store owners told him they wouldn't sell to him. He was trying to haggle with them but they eventually told him he needed to leave and wait a week before showing up again for the next water test. The store is run by two owners only, husband and wife. Great people with so much knowledge, and they actually care for your tanks all being. Nice to see that they aren't there just for the money.

• Like 2
reefernanoman

Definitely will check that out. i think she will come around. i took her to the local LFS the other day and she was picking out all the most expensive and difficult corals (she's got a gift... :bling: ). Luckily, the guy working convinced us otherwise...good man~ :bowdown:

Well, I'm caught up to the present. I added the first corals: a torch, zoa frag, a mushroom and some gsp. I've got pods like crazy, and I will keep to 10-20% weekly water changes and daily top offs until I get the ATO

Looking good! Fusion 10G tanks are nice! I should know :lol: .

• Like 2

You planning on any fish? Or just keeping the shrimp?

Definitely gonna get a pair of clowns for my daughter. I'm already working it out with the LFS so that I can come in Christmas eve to get them so that she can wake up and go see them, sort of like a Lexus commercial but minus 50K. I might get a goby down the road, but I'd have to do my research, but I'd be fine with the shrimp, the clowns, corals galore, etc. :D

My gsp is looking unhappy :( Going to do a 20% change tomorrow, mixing water tonight

I love the rock work, very interesting, will provide a lot of hiding for future fish if you ever look at gobies.

Hadn't really considered a goby until I went to the LFS tonight and saw a new shipment of mandarins, but I don't know much about them, so i'd have to do some research...

Looking good! Fusion 10G tanks are nice! I should know :lol: .

Thanks nanoman. I'm a huge fan of your tank, totally stalked it for a bit before jumping into my own :ninja:

• Like 2
Obsessed Reefer

Hadn't really considered a goby until I went to the LFS tonight and saw a new shipment of mandarins, but I don't know much about them, so i'd have to do some research...

Mandarins are not gobys, though are commonly misconceived as them. They are very difficult fish to keep as their main source of food is live copepods. Most people scoff at anyone who keeps them in a tank less than 50g, but they can be successfully cared for in a 15-20g min if properly researched. I researched them for months before I bought my first one.

There's a 78 page thread in the fish forum about them.

• Like 3
Obsessed Reefer

Goood to know. Thanks for the head's up on that. They are glorious looking fish.

They truly are. If you have time, read through the large mandarin topic, mostly for the photos, but also for the knowledge of the fish. File it under a fish to get when you eventually upgrade.

• Like 1
reefernanoman

Goood to know. Thanks for the head's up on that. They are glorious looking fish.

How about a high fin goby or a yellow watchman goby like mine paired with a pistol shrimp? Those would bring lots of activity in your tank. Thanks for the kind words about my tank BTW. Good luck with everything.
  • Like 1

Wow, you've made a great start! I like the rock work, and I'll bet your daughter will love the clowns :)

Make sure you go slow, though, after that. Even though your tank has cycled it will take months to mature and be able to support a good variety of corals and fish. Just take your time, after you add something new, give it a couple weeks or a month so you can see how it's doing and make adjustments.

Btw, in my first tank, the GSP didn't grow at all and didn't even come out much for the first two months. None of the corals really thrived at first, because there just wasn't a good balance yet in the tank and there weren't enough nutrients to feed the corals. Once it got through the "ugly tank stage" and I learned not to strip out the nutrients with too much chemical filtration, everything took off.

Ask lots of questions here - everybody on NR loves to answer questions, almost as much as we love to look at pictures :D

• Like 2

How about a high fin goby or a yellow watchman goby like mine paired with a pistol shrimp? Those would bring lots of activity in your tank. Thanks for the kind words about my tank BTW. Good luck with everything.

The goby idea is really starting to grow on me the more I look at them. My sister has a 29g biocube and has a watchmen and pistol. They do have some dynamic character.

• Like 1

Wow, you've made a great start! I like the rock work, and I'll bet your daughter will love the clowns :)

Make sure you go slow, though, after that. Even though your tank has cycled it will take months to mature and be able to support a good variety of corals and fish. Just take your time, after you add something new, give it a couple weeks or a month so you can see how it's doing and make adjustments.

Btw, in my first tank, the GSP didn't grow at all and didn't even come out much for the first two months. None of the corals really thrived at first, because there just wasn't a good balance yet in the tank and there weren't enough nutrients to feed the corals. Once it got through the "ugly tank stage" and I learned not to strip out the nutrients with too much chemical filtration, everything took off.

Ask lots of questions here - everybody on NR loves to answer questions, almost as much as we love to look at pictures :D

You are totally right about this. i need to keep things in check and go slow :angry:. The LFS should not be a place I go when I am stressed after a long day at work, which is exactly what I did yesterday after grading term papers and final exams :unsure:. The next thing that I will buy will be the clowns on Christmas Eve, and that's it...Here's to holding it together

As for filtration, I am running floss in the top, carbon in the middle and floss at the bottom. I don't know if this is unorthodox, but my water wasn't crystal and I didn't know what to do other than throw more floss in. Please advise, anyone...What i think is going on is that I have a decent amount of pods in the tank, and my JW4 is making small air bubbles. I had it pointed up to break the water table, to settle the sand, and because the guy at the LFS told me to. :huh:

Obsessed Reefer

In my opinion you can't have to much filter floss. That just takes the actual particles out of the water. Carbon is good. You could also run like purigen or seagel which has carbon and purigen, but only when needed by testing the water first. With such a small tank volume honestly as long as you perform weekly water changes, that should take care of most things.

• Like 1

The nano tide came in today. I'm super stoked. Tinkering with the levels now. Looking like it is going to be a wonderful piece of machinery.

Any suggestions on levels?

• Like 1

The nano tide came in today. I'm super stoked. Tinkering with the levels now. Looking like it is going to be a wonderful piece of machinery.

Any suggestions on levels?

Try...

Royal - 60%

Blue/Cyan - 55%

Violet - 75%

White/Lime - 35%

Fan - 90%

:D

• Like 4