Cultivated Reef

40g of no possibilities :(

Squared

Picture update of the 40:

DSCN3824.JPG

So it looks like the key to taking pictures of moving fish is flash lol.

DSCN3825.JPG

DSCN3842.JPG

DSCN3830.JPG

Sinularia and gorg look like ass. I saw some polyps on the gorg yesterday but not today. Yes, I feed them, and extension is usually better then. The angel will pick at them but not incessently.

DSCN3835.JPG

Mushrooms look great though...

DSCN3841.JPG

I like keeping my tank bare bottom but sometimes my blenny becomes difficult to locate. I painted the back and bottom black.

I am really upset over how most of my coral looks right now. When they were in the 12g, and even earlier in this tank thread, most looked a lot puffier and healthier. I am doing absolutely nothing different care wise between this tank and what I did with the 12.

Whenever I test my water, it's always the same: ca 410, mg 1300, kh 7. I have not been dosing either.

Maybe they are recovering very slowly, because as far as I can tell their conditions are not getting worse.

*sigh* I guess I will just keep testing my water and maybe I'll catch something.

forgot to take an FTS, will do that later..

• Like 2

Had my phosphate checked a couple of days ago, was at .04. Did not check nitrate though.

Maybe you have extremely high NO3? Or any of your fish nibbling on them?

I'm pretty sure the fish are not the problem. I will have to get nitrate tested.

As maintenance, I do a 5 gallong waterchange once a week and I also run a skimmer.

Picked up 3 $5 shrooms saturday, ones a bleached yuma that I am hoping to bring back. Placed it in shade and throwing reef roids at it till it gets better :)

I placed an order with gulf coast ecosystems last week, finally shipped. Some macros, dwarf ceriths (for the puffer) and a gorg. I moved my purple gorg up higher and into greater flow, looking a lot better.

Fish in qt still doing well.

• Like 3

Picked up 3 $5 shrooms saturday, ones a bleached yuma that I am hoping to bring back. Placed it in shade and throwing reef roids at it till it gets better :)

I placed an order with gulf coast ecosystems last week, finally shipped. Some macros, dwarf ceriths (for the puffer) and a gorg. I moved my purple gorg up higher and into greater flow, looking a lot better.

Fish in qt still doing well.

Nice! You went to LARS too? Which vendor did you go to? I remember LC had some $5 shrooms.

Nice! You went to LARS too? Which vendor did you go to? I remember LC had some $5 shrooms.

Not LARs, just my LFS (age of aquariums). They have a pretty nice $5 section. Today I picked up a small red and green rhodactis.

Most of the algae looks great, all the red grape lost it's 'grapes' though. I bought some hypnea pannosa, looks gorgeous and it is a much bigger piece than last time I ordered from these guys. Last time I tried it it died pretty quickly, but so far this new piece looks good.

I am now having problems with diatoms. Covers my gorg up daily and I have to clean it off. So the progress it made opening up is pretty much gone now.

After my summer class ended a week ago I have done nothing but bum around lol tomorrow I'll finish re-scaping and clean out my sump, among other things I need to do.

Quarantine update:

Angel is developing HLLE, but I'm going to try and finish a full month of copper. Both the clowns and angel have fantastic appetites almost 3 weeks into treatment at full dose, and I have not seen a single spot on them.

• Like 1
Red_Blenny

Not LARs, just my LFS (age of aquariums). They have a pretty nice $5 section. Today I picked up a small red and green rhodactis.

Ahh. One thing I miss about college is that it's a stone throw away from AoA. I used to go there after school (or in between loooooooong breaks).

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

A pic I took a few days ago:

IMG_0202.JPG

Still have not figured out final placement for some of the algae. I had to disconnect the sump since I flooded it with RO, so the rest of the tank looks a big messy.

• Like 3

They are always out, great fish.

Unfortunately, I have some bad news about the other angel. No signs of disease but has had trouble breathing the last few days. no idea what is going on :(

Nothing wrong externally. Just finished 30 days coppersafe and he was totally fine the whole time. No ammonia, regular water changes, water is well aerated.

Still eating, but not like it used to. There may still be hope.

And yes, that hypnea is awesome. It is growing so fast too.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Multicolor looks better, appetite is back. In another week or two if all goes well I will move them to the 40.

Tuesday I bought a used tunze 6020 nanostream from a local reefer. really impressed with the output and I can see gyres forming on the other side of tank. I also bought 2 frags from the guy, an acan and a lava lamp shroom.

Well, this morning I can see that the mouth and flesh around that area is completely gone from the acan. I didn't see anything, but it might have been the puffer. Caught him picking at my favia colony yesterday, twisting and trying to rip out the centers. This is is the first time I've seen the puffer do this, but now I can't be sure he hasn't been doing this all along.

Interestingly, the puffer leaves the candy can alone even though it's so fluffy. Same thing with the gorg. I want to have some corals in this tank but I'm fine with it being 90% macros (and shrooms). Good thing it was a $5 acan...

Pics later

edit: having picasa problems...

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to need to make a photo bucket account, picasa is just not working with this site.

Anyways, I went ahead and moved the multicolor to the 40. He/She's in an acclimation box, we'll see how things go..

UPDATE TIME:

IMG_0240_zpsd77rywz5.jpg

The multicolor angel's social acclimation isn't going as great as I had hoped. The venustus is 100% chill and completely ignores the multicolor, but the multicolor tries to attack the venustus through the plastic. On the bright side, the multicolor's HLLE is almost completely healed, in the same week that it's been in the 40.

Coral/macro for me seem to be hit and miss, that yuma and rhodactis I bought a while ago are now on their way out but I also purchased a lava lamp shroom which is looking fantastic. Porteira, red grape, and a couple other macros I got in the pack and slowing withering away (sob) but that h. pannosa is just exploding.

I decided to keep the silicone anemone ornament in the tank for the clowns. Sometimes they will sleep in it, but during they day they are usually out and about.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Update?!

Not much going on. The multicolor didn't work out so he's been sitting in QT. Nobody wants to buy him lol.

I just bought a tricolor anthias, p. rubrizonatus. Maybe a little over 3", super neat fish. In QT separated from the angel since he was being mean (the angel was).

• Like 1

I would say he is very personable too, the day after I acclimated him he would look to the surface for food when I approached. Going to keep him singly, I read these anthias can be very mean to each other. Still want add a couple more fish though, maybe a fairy wrasse or flasher.

• Like 1