FTS as of 11/6/16:

d0c2eb6c-6532-412d-837d-d6e4a8d27214_zps

Tank Specs:
Display: 36x16x16
Sump: 24x12x14
Skimmer: SCA-301
Lighting: Mars Aqua 165w LED
Circulation: Rio Plus 1700, Hydor Koralia 240 & 425
Heating: ReefSafe Solutions temperature controller, Ebo Jager 100w, (2) Fluval M 50w

Other: Two Little Fishies Phosban reactor, simple return & overflow utilizing a strainer

Fish:

• Paracentropyge venustus
  • Atrosalarias fuscus
  • Canthigaster valentini
  • Amphiprion nigripes (pair)
  • Pseudanthias rubrizonatus (in QT)

Macro algae:

• Cladophora prolifera ?
  • Hypnea pannosa
  • Red dictyota

Coral:

• Mushrooms & ricordea
  • Candy cane
  • Purple gorg
  • Misc. zoas

Other inverts:

• Turbo & astraea snails

• Like 1

he's a cool fish, and speaking if cool fish, my LFS has a group if sunset anthias and I was thinking of getting a couple. They still have yet to eat, though. If not I may get a flasher wrasse or two, not sure. I have a $50 budget for new fish so it also depends on that.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the tank, just need to spray paint the back and I can start setting it up.

I am just going to move all the live rock and water from the 29 to the 40, no cycle. I will then connect the new sump with an addition 10g of clean water a little later. I need my living room clean and free of extra tanks because my parents are having a christmas party on the 25th.

Pics soon, I've got some very interesting ideas for the rock scape.

DSCN3652_zpsfszrm5un.jpg

• Like 1

Put the sump together, has just enough room for a filter sock and all my equipment plus an area for cheato if I should want some later down the line.

IMG_2975_zpse78quqgt.jpg

Also painted the tank, back and bottom in case I want to go BB.

• Like 1

Tank sprung a leak, not even filled to a quarter. SOOO that's like $10 in paint down the drain loool why did it paint it first :/

Since we already moved the old tank by draining, we just set it up on the 40 gallon stand. Will have to make that look pretty while I wait for a new tank, this will also alow me to use the new lights.

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a month, and the LFS still does not have my frigging tank. Better get some free saltwater or something after all of this.

I recently acquired an indigo hamelt, around 3". Just gave it a FW dip and am currently treating the tank with prazipro. Very beautiful fish, even without any lights over the QT. Hope it doesn't grow too fast.

Will need to rethink my stocking plans in light of this new addition. I'm pretty dead set on getting some kind of sharpnose puffer, as well as a flame hawk. Also searching for another venustus, but if I can't find one I may just settle for a multibar.

• Like 1

Today was a good day! The LFS got my tank in Wednesday, and I picked it up today. Been filled with freshwater for a while now and so far so good.

Also, I think I may have completed my stock list for now. Went out to OC because another store was having a special on 'filamented fairy wrasse' (flasher wrasses) for $15. Pretty sure the one I picked out is a carpenter's wrasse, but I believe there were another 2 different species as well.

In addition to the wrasse I took home a valentini puffer with the most gorgeous neon markings around the eyes. From what I've seen on the internet, not all of them have that. Hopefully it is something that won't fade as they age.

• Like 1

Moved everything over to the new tank. New rock scape looks pretty good, I think it's my favorite out of all the ones I've put together over the years.

Pics tomorrow...

• Like 2

I approve of the Carpenter's Wrasse, I can't speak to the rest... :D

He is really pretty! But I'm a little worried. Tucked himself in a crevice all day and hasn't eaten. Still breathing and looking around, hope he perks up tomorrow.

The puffer didn't eat today either, but ate a little the night I got him. Just checked on him, plops himself down like a rock on the sand when he sleeps.

Canthigaster%20valentini%20RA%20(2)%20MD

Saw this pic on wetwebmedia, makes me think the puffer I got is a male.

• Like 1

He is really pretty! But I'm a little worried. Tucked himself in a crevice all day and hasn't eaten. Still breathing and looking around, hope he perks up tomorrow.

The puffer didn't eat today either, but ate a little the night I got him. Just checked on him, plops himself down like a rock on the sand when he sleeps.

They can be very shy. I just got a terminal phase male that happens to be very bold. Ate pellets the first day and doesn't hide much. The McCoskers I had before that was randomly shy. I wouldn't worry too much, once they find a hiding spot that they can quickly retreat too they tend to come out more.

As far as eating, try sinking pellets, if he doesn't eat that I've had really good luck getting new fish to eat the omega 1 flakes, if that doesn't work you can try mysis...I've never had a flasher or fairy wrasse refuse all 3.

• Like 1

My McCoskers did that to me in the beginning, then just casually sauntered out a day or two later like nothing had ever happened. Give it some time.

Yep seems to be the norm, he came out for food but went right back in to his wrasse hole after.

First pics of the new tank:

DSCN3668_zpsiwgdezrc.jpg

Running carbon and ammonia absorbing media, just in case.

DSCN3669_zpsyvebuset.jpg

DSCN3670_zpss7nhx3cv.jpg

Still cloudy. Plan to add sand once I finish tweaking the scape. Angel has been buzzing around the tank, checking everything out. I think s?he likes it :D

Found a new home for the helfrichi. Got a very nice lobo for trade.

I have a pretty good idea what I want to do with the algae placement. I will have these two growing on top of the flat parts of the rock:

DSCN3671_zpsrwl9pe2h.jpg

^This stuff grows way to fast and is a bit difficult to remove, so you could call it invasive. Don't really know what it is. However, it develops a pearly white sheen over the green in bright light which looks very nice, so I'll use it.

DSCN3672_zpsblfaas8q.jpg

Yoshii's bob ross algae, which I think is cladophora. Grows a bit slower compared to other algae but adds a nice grassy feel to the tank.

Other stuff I'll just stick randomly around the tank, with the c. prolifera in the back and middle filling out the groves between the rocks.

The wrasse is dead. Not a good day. I was really looking forward to seeing him flash too...*sigh*

Dont know what happened, he was eating at the store with no signs of disease. Yesterday he was interested in food, and earlier today seemed a little interested. At least the puffer is eating like the fatass I expected him to be.

I dont think I'm going to try another, and it will probably be a while before I pick out another fish.

The wrasse is dead. Not a good day. I was really looking forward to seeing him flash too...*sigh*

Dont know what happened, he was eating at the store with no signs of disease. Yesterday he was interested in food, and earlier today seemed a little interested. At least the puffer is eating like the fatass I expected him to be.

I dont think I'm going to try another, and it will probably be a while before I pick out another fish.

Sorry to hear it. I haven't had the best luck with Flasher's or Fairy's, really seems to be hit or miss. I think you just need to make sure there are a lot of hiding places for them, still a roll of the dice though.

• Like 1

Yeah, I want to get more fish but I'm a little hesitant. Later this year my dad wants to get the house fumigated, not sure what will happen to the livestock but I'll have more time to dwell on that once that time comes. Hopefully I can find a way to safely move the fish for a few days, because I'd really hate to sell off my angel.

The hamlet and puffer are doing fine in QT, but the hamlet is still twitching and I'm sure I saw a spot of ich on its pectoral fin. So I'll start tank transfer with prazi and in 2 weeks they should both in the 40.

I have to say I'm a little surprised by how much the hamlet eats. I think between the puffer and hamlet, they could go through two cubes of mysis a day and few pellets. Luckily no one was interested in my SC skimmer when I tried to sell it lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Continuing on with tank transfer. Still have not connected my sump, mostly because of school. Fish look good though, and I'm getting some diatoms. Not too bad though.

Update:

Made%252520with%252520Live%252520GIF%252

Just figured out how to use the livepic thing on iphones to make gifs, pretty neat.

Hopefully by the end of this week I will have the tank filled up and the sump running. But also have to study for O-chem and micro. Fish tank first, I think...

Non-gif:

IMG_0013.JPG

• Like 1

Hamlet is going to be removed. He definitely went after my blenny, saw it happen. Luckily the blenny is very fast. Caught him tonight, he will chill out with me in my room in a 10g while I try and find a new home.

It sucks, he was cool fish. Did not think the blenny would be small enough to be considered food. I really want to keep the blenny since he eats so much algae. So guess I could have kept the helfrichi I sold, but at the same time the angel was really pushy when it came to food and did not let it eat much.

So my current fish list is as follows:

Venustus angel

Valentini puffer

Black sailfin blenny

Green chromis

I'm going to finish setting up the tank before considering any more fish.

Putting in an order on bulk reef supply for some of the last things I need.

I removed all the wierd short caulerpa I had. Too hard to remove once it sets in and would rather not have it take over.

I will post the first 'official' later tonight..

• Like 1