Coral Vue Hydros

Algae Help Brainstorm

itsyahboydanny

itsyahboydanny

Always had this algae that grows straight out of the pores in my rock. Does anyone have any ideas of how do get rid of it besides manual removal? I try to pull a good amount out with tweezers when I do my wc but it never fully goes away.

gIcJZcB.jpg

5R3twpA.jpg

cSCEeaI.jpg

He advised me on using peroxide to get rid of bubble algae, and it seems to have been very effective. Now I've tried it on some other algae, and it works well. I took the rock out, used a syringe to apply straight 3%h2o2 to the algae affected areas. My corals didn't seem to mind (a cataphyllia and a torch coral), they just produced a bit of mucus. I left it out 3 minutes while applying the peroxide, then poured some tank water over as a quick rinse and put them back in the tank. I later tried it on some GHA in my palys and drowned them in the peroxide. The palys were open again in 30 minutes, and the GHA gone in 2 days. (of course, so goes any coralline)

If your rock can be lifted out, it's an option.

I know... decisions decisions

but that's why spot treating can work well so you don't destroy all the good stuff. If you use a syringe, you could target each crevice the algae grows from. But you'd probably need to do it multiple times since there will more likely be bits you miss.

agreed to all so far, its merely among options. my tank had more peroxide than any tank on the web in it yrs ago and its thick coralline now and then...coralline is a non issue because it doesn't have to be wiped out

. Just yesterday on reef2reef we had a poster put up a tank that is 100% blanketed in algae, a loss of hundreds of dollars of reef rock and corals and they refused to take action because of a cleaner shrimp that is peroxide sensitive. My thoughts were, hey, hold it elsewhere and save your tank in 5 days but I didn't say much, so many options. the only reason to ever consider peroxide is if someone is tired of playing around and wants algae gone. That poster prefers both algae and shrimp, a simple option choice.

sure you might read of it not working in some peroxide threads, just not ours

:)

b

theres also

ats filters

refugiums

vodka dosing

gfo

various grazers

going bare bottom

all are among options with ranging outcomes and rebound times.

Archived