Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Is this sand a threat?

dingusplease

Advice for important decision needed: I bought some Quartz Sand at Home Depot a few weeks ago. Is it too sharp for garden eels? Build thread: http://tinyurl.com/thegardeneelroom

I scoured the google for answers...

• Silica/Quartz is NOT inherently dangerous in aquariums. It is considered insoluble. Same material as aquarium glass.
  • Ingestion seems to be the only documented dangerous aquarium situation involving quartz sand.

I pulled out my trusty red microscope...

post-83918-0-03807900-1448844543_thumb.p Picture%206_2.png

...and examined the sand.

Opinions?

If this sand isn't truly dangerous, I'd hope to find out so I don't have to buy $200 of aragonite sand :). I will do whatever I have to do to keep the eels safe, but if this sand can work I'll stick with it.

Maybe you could call a college and ask for a geologist's opinion? Or call a zoo and see what they use for substrate in their eel tanks?

Good idea, and I already talked to the people at the shedd aquarium. They use fine aragonite, but I do need 350-400lbs ($1000+) so if I can use what I have I'd like to.

Looks like good sand, but as jedi mentioned I do need quite a lot... appreciate your looking though.

Yeah, only $10 for 5lbs of sand. Needs around 400lbs, so that's only around $800. Super cheap.

That is indeed the route I'm trying to avoid :P . Hoping to use the quartz, but top priority is always the eels' safety.

It doesn't look to sharp but hard to tell. Make sure u screen the hell out of it. I used to use similar sand from Home Depot in my bearded dragon enclosures. Lots of bigger pieces would be mixed in.

It doesn't look to sharp but hard to tell. Make sure u screen the hell out of it. I used to use similar sand from Home Depot in my bearded dragon enclosures. Lots of bigger pieces would be mixed in.

Doesn't look sharp to me either lol... definitely will filter it like crazy.

I can't wait to see this put together with little faces sticking out!!! What do they eat?

Me neither :) thanks for following -- they'll apparently eat anything from mysis to small pellets, once you get them to eat for the first time. That can be the tricky part

Archived