SaltCritters.com

HELP is my anemone dying

aaron92

I'm not really sure some have got a little on others haven't but the ones that do have started to get a lot more purple recently I'm hoping it will spread also some off that rock is possibly still dead as I've only had some of it 3 months and it was dry when I got it

I've just ordered 2x t5 28w high lite bulbs that fit in my holder and then some reflectors that clip onto those bulbs to stop the upwards light being wasted, will try that and see if it works if not I will have to go topless I just don't like the idea of this due to the evaporation then

You want the top open to some degree as it helps with gas exchange - having it too tightly covered isn't good.

Apart from the fact that your lighting is insufficient, you have a hippo tang in a 50 gallon tank, and a blue linckia starfish. Two very bad choices.

coralline likes light and flow. some establishes quickly and some doesn't. What do you have for flow in the tank? I honestly think the nem is dying because the lighting isn't good enough. It looks like your other one (if that is it on the top) is really bleached as well, which makes me think that one will die as well unless you get some good reef lighting in there.

If the tank has been up only 3 mos the water also probably does not have enough nutrients. The tank is not established enough. It's unfortunate but you may not be able to bring them back in time. Sorry. I would suggest start with other corals like mushrooms, acans, understand what different light conditions and flow have on corals. Learn much more about everything, piece it together slowly.

Tank is 25" (65cm). So it's pretty deep.

Do you have a link to the bulbs you ordered? I'm not sure what lights are 28w other than 48" regular T5s. After doing a little research on the Juwel I'm not sure if they're T5 or T8 or high output or not... Totally confused.

To get the light penetration to sustain corals and anemones long term you'll need lots of light. Probably something like this.

And even then you'll probably only able to keep higher light corals and anemones in the top 1/3 of the tank.

IMO you should get rid of all the anemones (unfortunately I think the one you have is a goner) and stick with a FOWLR (fish only with live rock) or you could possibly keep some mushrooms or certain low light corals on a long term basis. Unless you can significantly upgrade your lighting - Can you get a second set of lights with reflectors to have 4 bulbs total?

gulfsurfer101

Yeah I have to agree your lighting is way under par so to say! Buy this and take that lighting back to lfs. Get yourself a little credit. Hey they're in buisiness to bank off noobs so you can't blame them but you can work em over from time to time. This fixture is cheap and will allow you to keep anything you want. You can remove optics on a few leds to get better spread.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/MR-120-LED-Aquarium-Light-Marine-Coral-Reef-55x-3W-SPS-Dimmable-Full-Spectrum-/111477963308?nav=SEARCH

Archived