Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fighting Clowns

marinehrnt

I have a innovation marine 10 gallon cube that has been up and running for about 3 months. I added a small ocellaris clown about a month in which has been doing great. Yesterday I added another small ocellaris clown and they have been fighting like crazy ever since I put the new one in. They are both similar in size (small, I would think juveniles). They are not just occasionally chasing each other but locking jaws and going at it no stop. Question is should I return the new clown or let them work it out? I was hoping to have a pair but not sure how much time to give them and don't want them to kill each other. Thanks for the help.

I have a innovation marine 10 gallon cube that has been up and running for about 3 months. I added a small ocellaris clown about a month in which has been doing great. Yesterday I added another small ocellaris clown and they have been fighting like crazy ever since I put the new one in. They are both similar in size (small, I would think juveniles). They are not just occasionally chasing each other but locking jaws and going at it no stop. Question is should I return the new clown or let them work it out? I was hoping to have a pair but not sure how much time to give them and don't want them to kill each other. Thanks for the help.

If they are both similar in size, then its normal. Plus you had one clown in the tank for a month already that's her "home". id give it time to work itself out. One will always win and turn into a female, or the female might kill the male which is rare. The male will usually just give up and comply (o-gee doesnt that sound familiar) :wub:

ps- look for shaking. seizure like almost. If you have achieved that youll be ok.

Small tank for two fish.

Yeah, maybe I'm better off taking one back and sticking with just one clown. I'm setting up a nano reef and really I'm more interested in corals than fish but wanted to add a little activity.

They should pair. Another thing you can do is get those clear plastic breeder box and put the new guy in it so they don't kill off each other right away. Wait till they get used to each other's presence then put it back in and see if they'll fight again.

Archived