ReefCleaners.org

Thinking of getting back into the hobby....

Thatoneomahaguy

Thatoneomahaguy

So I recently changed jobs out of retail and am finding myself with extra time and money and was thinking about restarting an old tank I used to have. It was never anything amazing but was hoping with the extra time and cash I could be more successful this time around. I was thinking of going with a 40 gallon breeder. I have some old lights from my 55 gallon that I would be able to sell for something more appropriate. Like this http://reefcorner.com/product/captive-reef-series-180w-dimmable-reef-light/I cant remember what brand it is but you can see there is a fish logo on all the parts. Its a 150 watt x 2 metal halide with 2 x 90 watt (I think) T-5 actinics. They still seem to work great. I was just wondering if anyone knew what brand they are and any idea what I might be able to resell them for? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

post-89817-0-46656700-1448674276_thumb.jpg

post-89817-0-85176100-1448674298_thumb.jpg

post-89817-0-46952100-1448674488_thumb.jpg

post-89817-0-34499500-1448674509_thumb.jpg

Thatoneomahaguy

I was also wondering if using the 40 gallon breeder would be the right tank choice. I was hoping to make a trapezium shaped overflow back that would house both plumbing to and from the sump. This would mean two different holes would have to be drilled pretty close to each other. I was thinking it would be a super clean look to through the bottom of the tank and straight through the stand into the sump. Im not sure how the thick the glass is on a 40 gallon so Im not sure its even possible or a good idea to put two holes in the bottom of the tank. Especially with all the weight that will eventually be placed on the bottom plane of glass. Does anyone know if this is bad idea? I included a picture to try and help illustrate my idea. It shows the general shape of the top of the overflow. Reef%2BReady%2BAquarium.jpg

Many reef ready tanks come with holes drilled in the bottom like you're suggesting. Of course, how close they are is going to make a difference in overall strength, but based on the plethora of tanks with that set up, you should be fine. Another option to consider is putting the bulkheads higher in the back pane for a smaller overflow box, rather than a tower.

Archived