Cultivated Reef

NYOS Quantum 120 or Bubble Magus Curve 5 for 18" cube?

kinetic

Figured that since it's Black Friday, might as well stock up on some possible future nano tank.

I'm thinking of getting the Red Sea Reefer (nano or 170) at some point, and was wondering if you guys would recommend a small skimmer. NYOS seems nice, but BM price looks great.

I haven't been in the game for awhile, and I've been reading a ton of posts but haven't gotten much from a comparison here.

Thanks!

Do you have one? Ever compare it with the BM Curve?

I've had a bubble magus nac 3.5 on a tank a while ago,although it did the job to an extent the quality was not good in my point.

Recently I saw the whole nyos skimmer line at an LFS and played around with the 120 and the 160 and they are well worth the pretty penny they charge due to the quality being top notch and ease of use.

Personally for my nano I went with a reef octopus 110 SSS.near the same size of the nyos but the price is cut in half.

word on the street is nyos is made in the same factory as bubble mag which is china

so i would go for the bubble mag to be honest

Not saying you are wrong or I disagree but just because something is made in the same factory does not mean its the same quality. Material choice, design decisions, construction methods, and quality control all play factors as well! :D

word on the street is nyos is made in the same factory as bubble mag which is china

so i would go for the bubble mag to be honest

Shouldn't make a difference,bubble king can be made in the same factory and people would still buy it.

Different product,different material,manufacturing process and different quality control.

Coral Box D500 is another option. DC pump, completely SILENT, excellent build quality. Just got mine broken in, and DAYUM.

DC pumps seem to have better results. Is this generally true?

I have the Nyos, bought it used, and it is worth every dollar. The tunability is incredible, it's very quiet, pulls gunk, excellent quality, all the screws are Ti and same size/thread. I had a bubble magus previously, granted old NAC5, and it was a toy compared to the quantum.

Bm5 needs at least 8.5 inches depth that Red Sea Reefers dont have - sump is too shallow. Been there, done that. Just replaced it in 170 for skimz sn123

Archived