Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Mame Skimmer III Review - optimization

BRN

Mame Skimmer III

The Mame Skimmer is a glass, lime-stone - air powered skimmer, hand-blown in Japan.

At the price tag of 98$ these things arn't cheap, but you know what they say. A good skimmer aint cheap, and a cheap skimmer aint good.

Air Skimmers get some flack in the community due to inconsistencies; mostly evaporation/level changes in the water requiring the skimmer to be tuned too often to be effective. I can see where people come from when they say this, though most people that say this don't have an Auto Top off. With an auto top off your skimmer efficiency triples, seriously. It darkens in color, worsens in smell, and its not as wet (which are all good things)!

The difference between a well tuned skimmer and its opposite is quite amazing.

For comparisons sake here is my Fluval Edge 2 skimmer collection that is fine tuned with an ato(left), and my eel tank skimate where i dont dose vodka or have an ATO. The Fluval skim-mate has been in there for 2 and a half weeks and the eels skim-mate is 1 week old.

20151125_1114081_zpst7ebjibn.jpg

Hyper efficient skimate with carbon dosing and an ATO. I kind of let my Fluvals Skimate build up on accident, but then it inspired me to do a review, so it all works out. no photoshop or any trickery done here i unscrewed the top and put it down for a picture.

Pros

Incredible quality

Superb design; cosmetically and utilitarian

Compact, and quiet

No extra heat is added

It heavily oxygenates the water which is great for carbon dosing.

VERY EASY to maintain

Doesnt come with an air pump, this is actually a plus for me because i love the customization of tank equipment.

Cons

FRAGILE! cant drop it from more than 3 feet/a meter to the floor. It will break

Expensive(ish) at $98.00

Comes with a little air slider that isnt good, at all.

Instructions were in Japanese, normally this wouldnt bother me but the Mame skimmer has an optional mounting position most people dont even know about!

The skimmer efficiency is cut into a 1/3 without an ATO.

Cannot efficiently skim a tank over 25 gallons

Requires a new air stone every month, not a big deal.

The only problem that really bugs me about the cons is the inconsistencies with evaporation (which is solved by an ato) So i give the Mame Skimmer III a 9.5/10

Everything else about this skimmer is perfect.

After seeing Neil from Saltwater-conversion.com restock on these i'd thought id do a review on the skimmer. Every chance i get i try to push people onto these skimmers, because they are fabulous for nano saltwater aquariums.

Recap and Final Recommendations

ATOS are NEEDED for this skimmer to be hyper efficient.

Do not buy the recommended air pump for this, i bought it and immediately regretted it(was pretty loud)

The air pump i would recommend is the OxY-Pro from cobalt aqautics, this air pump is the best air pump on the market. the OXY-pro is so good, because you can adjust the air flow in real time with a turn glow nob, its dead silent even if you hold it up to your ear. The oxy-pro also eliminates the need for this stupid thing.

20151118_1650521_zpsrsw6lr3r.jpg

2 birds with one stone

To buy this Skimmer from the BEST possible source and vendor for english speakers

Go to Saltwater-Conversion.com

Never had a problem with Neil he is a knowledgeable guy with a passion for fashion, fabulous :P.

20/10 i recommend saltwater-conversion.com to every Aquarius i meet.

All in all, the Mame Skimmer III will go on every nano reef i create no questions.

If you have any questions feel free to ask me.

20151021_2152231_zpsch2634yk.jpg

-Brn

-ps happy reefing and happy holidays!

-ps ps In no way am i financially involved with Mame Design or SaltwaterConversion.com, Ill do reviews on products i really like and the mame skimmer is one i really like.

• Like 2

Great review! Thanks! I have been looking into this skimmer for my fusion 10. It's hard to find a decent skimmer for small nanos and I believe this one is it.

Look no further!!!! this skimmer is perfect for nanos. Look up the optionally mounting positions online if you cannot read Japanese.

Mikeymikemike

Thanks for the review. What depth do you set your skimmer into the tank? How much of the skimmer is sticking out?

And what do you mean by alternative mounting position?

• Like 1

Glad you are enjoying your skimmers!

It was a really pleasant surprise to find someone taking the time out to write a detailed review.

Re air pumps I will update the FAQ with your suggestion, we have English instructions being edited now and should be ready for the end of next week. Yes I agree the included air clamp is not so great, I use a little screw down valve on mine.

Thanks again

Thanks for the review. What depth do you set your skimmer into the tank? How much of the skimmer is sticking out?

There are some different bracket options you can purchase if your tank is not rimless.

Not needed in 99% of cases though. Re the position there is a diagram in the instructions. If its not clear shoot me a message using the help button on the website and I can send you over the draft English instructions.

• Like 2

Thanks for the review!!! I have this skimmer but I'm waiting for my tanks to cycle before setting it up. Heres a pro tip I'v read, instead of replacing the wooden air stone every month, take a sharp blade and scrape off a thin layer revealing a fresh poor network. This should make them last at least 3 times as longer.

• Like 1

I've found it doesnt matter how much of the skimmer is in the water, the skimmer can work with only 4 inches submerged. What matters is that the bubbles stay level at the tapered end of the skimmer that way the organic compounds go into the collection cup, and most of the water goes back into the aquarium.

Thanks for the review!!! I have this skimmer but I'm waiting for my tanks to cycle before setting it up. Heres a pro tip I'v read, instead of replacing the wooden air stone every month, take a sharp blade and scrape off a thin layer revealing a fresh poor network. This should make them last at least 3 times as longer.

I just tried this it works okay just becareful not to split the wood like i just did lol.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Just curious how often you clean the skimmer body itself. Not the airstone. I have some algae and debris building up in the top part of the skimmer where it starts to taper. I know this is good because all that gunk is not in my tank. It also seems to hold a head better with this gunk then completely clean. Just curious on your maintenance.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick follow up to say the English instructions are on the site now :-)

Thats actually really helpful. Have adjusted my skimmer a little more towards the directions and it skimming dryer now. Love this thing.

• Like 1

have been trying to find a non intrusive skimmer for my sumpless 16 gallon. this looks like it will work and will take up way less space than any of the other options/HOB skimmers I was looking at.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Is any one else having an issue with back pressure. As the skimate leaves the glass and starts to go down to the collection cup it seames to creat a vacuum or pressure difference in the glass. This cause the bubbles to almost completely stop until the tube is free of obstruction and then the bubbles start back up. I tried to add a T valve to the very top of the skimmer to aliviate the pressure but then the skimate instanly began to exit out of the t valve. I'm sugar dossing to remove nitrates and would like to make sure my skimmer runs as efficiently as possible.

Just turned mine off after a week of use during water change and when I turned it back on, the bubbles were noticably larger and foam tower didnt get as high. Any idea why and solutions,

Just turned mine off after a week of use during water change and when I turned it back on, the bubbles were noticably larger and foam tower didnt get as high. Any idea why and solutions,

Could have been knocked or moved when changing water. Maybe not exactly in the same placement. Also salinity could be a factor as the bubbles change with swinging rates.

Is any one else having an issue with back pressure. As the skimate leaves the glass and starts to go down to the collection cup it seames to creat a vacuum or pressure difference in the glass. This cause the bubbles to almost completely stop until the tube is free of obstruction and then the bubbles start back up. I tried to add a T valve to the very top of the skimmer to aliviate the pressure but then the skimate instanly began to exit out of the t valve. I'm sugar dossing to remove nitrates and would like to make sure my skimmer runs as efficiently as possible.

bump

This is 100% normal (and desirable or it would siphon) B)

Any idea on when you'll be getting more mame air stones in? I have tried a bunch of different company's air stones and none of them work.

• 4 weeks later...

Not to take away business from saltwater conversion but i found really nice quality cheap lime wood air stones on eBay. PM me and i can give you the link to sale.

• 3 years later...
On 11/25/2015 at 12:12 PM, BRN said:

Mame Skimmer III

The Mame Skimmer is a glass, lime-stone - air powered skimmer, hand-blown in Japan.

At the price tag of 98$ these things arn't cheap, but you know what they say. A good skimmer aint cheap, and a cheap skimmer aint good.

Air Skimmers get some flack in the community due to inconsistencies; mostly evaporation/level changes in the water requiring the skimmer to be tuned too often to be effective. I can see where people come from when they say this, though most people that say this don't have an Auto Top off. With an auto top off your skimmer efficiency triples, seriously. It darkens in color, worsens in smell, and its not as wet (which are all good things)!

The difference between a well tuned skimmer and its opposite is quite amazing.

For comparisons sake here is my Fluval Edge 2 skimmer collection that is fine tuned with an ato(left), and my eel tank skimate where i dont dose vodka or have an ATO. The Fluval skim-mate has been in there for 2 and a half weeks and the eels skim-mate is 1 week old.

20151125_1114081_zpst7ebjibn.jpg

Hyper efficient skimate with carbon dosing and an ATO. I kind of let my Fluvals Skimate build up on accident, but then it inspired me to do a review, so it all works out. no photoshop or any trickery done here i unscrewed the top and put it down for a picture.

Pros

Incredible quality

Superb design; cosmetically and utilitarian

Compact, and quiet

No extra heat is added

It heavily oxygenates the water which is great for carbon dosing.

VERY EASY to maintain

Doesnt come with an air pump, this is actually a plus for me because i love the customization of tank equipment.

Cons

FRAGILE! cant drop it from more than 3 feet/a meter to the floor. It will break

Expensive(ish) at $98.00

Comes with a little air slider that isnt good, at all.

Instructions were in Japanese, normally this wouldnt bother me but the Mame skimmer has an optional mounting position most people dont even know about!

The skimmer efficiency is cut into a 1/3 without an ATO.

Cannot efficiently skim a tank over 25 gallons

Requires a new air stone every month, not a big deal.

The only problem that really bugs me about the cons is the inconsistencies with evaporation (which is solved by an ato) So i give the Mame Skimmer III a 9.5/10

Everything else about this skimmer is perfect.

After seeing Neil from Saltwater-conversion.com restock on these i'd thought id do a review on the skimmer. Every chance i get i try to push people onto these skimmers, because they are fabulous for nano saltwater aquariums.

Recap and Final Recommendations

ATOS are NEEDED for this skimmer to be hyper efficient.

Do not buy the recommended air pump for this, i bought it and immediately regretted it(was pretty loud)

The air pump i would recommend is the OxY-Pro from cobalt aqautics, this air pump is the best air pump on the market. the OXY-pro is so good, because you can adjust the air flow in real time with a turn glow nob, its dead silent even if you hold it up to your ear. The oxy-pro also eliminates the need for this stupid thing.

20151118_1650521_zpsrsw6lr3r.jpg

2 birds with one stone

To buy this Skimmer from the BEST possible source and vendor for english speakers

Go to Saltwater-Conversion.com

Never had a problem with Neil he is a knowledgeable guy with a passion for fashion, fabulous :P.

20/10 i recommend saltwater-conversion.com to every Aquarius i meet.

All in all, the Mame Skimmer III will go on every nano reef i create no questions.

If you have any questions feel free to ask me.

20151021_2152231_zpsch2634yk.jpg

-Brn

-ps happy reefing and happy holidays!

-ps ps In no way am i financially involved with Mame Design or SaltwaterConversion.com, Ill do reviews on products i really like and the mame skimmer is one i really like.

I just ordered this skimmer. I wish I had read your post first. Will it work without an auto top off? I don’t have one (yet). Also do I need to buy an air pump separately??

• 3 weeks later...
gone_PHiSHin
On 2/3/2016 at 9:28 AM, Reefer69 said:

Not to take away business from saltwater conversion but i found really nice quality cheap lime wood air stones on eBay. PM me and i can give you the link to sale.

i’m using some from ebay as well, they’re way cheaper than what is sold at online fish stores...but i’m not sure they’re all the same, performance wise.  i have a Reef Glass, which is basically the same thing, but i haven’t gotten the same skim as i used to lately and i think it’s the airstones.  

what ebay ones are you using?