Cultivated Reef

AquaScaping Help

SithRico

Hey All,

I'm new to the hobby very tender toed. I got 30# of Reef Cleaner rock and was wondering after getting it now if I got enough. I saw on the site it said a good rule is 1.5 lbs for every gallon, but to get what you believe you want for your build and pleasing to the eye.

My tank is the JBJ 45rl. I'm going to be putting in the seachem pond matrix like I saw cyberaquarist do on youtube. Looking at my rock structure (not in tank yet or glued down) wondering if I should get more. I wanted the minimal look in the tank not crowded with rock. Just enough to help fish hide and have some SPS corals. I really like my scape I've got setup now just unsure if I have enough rock.

I plan on running this equipment in the tank.

Current Marine LED light - already purchased

A RW8 wavemaker

Neo Therm 150w heater

Pumps include with tank for return flow.

A skimmer - still in the market

I have a RO/DI unit built into the house already.

Instant Ocean Reef Salt

Looking to have just a couple of Clown Fish, Red Firefish, Watchman Gobbie or some sort of other. Plus the clean up crew. Maybe a Blue Tang (that's what the wife really wants).

Thanks for your help.

Maybe a Blue Tang (that's what the wife really wants).

Thanks for your help.

45 Gallons

This would be very ill-advised. Even if you were able to find a very young blue hippo, it would out grow the tank quickly. And I am sure if she is anything like my wife, she will get quite attached and not want you to rehome it after if gets stressed from being too big for your tank. Better to just not deal with that situation.

As for your rock structure, I think you have plenty. If you are happy with how it looks, then let it ride. The 1.5lb/gallon rule is somewhat outdated.

I like the scape a lot, the only thing i'd change is taking those three small stones in the front and gluing them inbetween gaps for a flawless transition in the rock work. As for the blue hippo i probably wouldnt get one ive had them in the past, 3 to be exact and they all outgrew my 75 gallon in under a year.

Yeah I would say the max I personally would want as far as rock is 1 lb/ 1 gal. I do not like the crowded rock look. If you feel you want more biological filtration, you can always add more.

Thanks guys. I feel a lot better know on what I'm doing with the rock now.

I read alot about the blue tang also and kind of knew about it, but not about it growing big so fast.

I think we would have to talk about something else as fish goes.

P.S. you guys are great. Put the same question on two other boards yesterday and still haven't got answers.

Thanks.

I read alot about the blue tang also and kind of knew about it, but not about it growing big so fast.

P.S. you guys are great. Put the same question on two other boards yesterday and still haven't got answers.

Thanks.

No problem dude thats why i love nano reef its awesome. :welcome: to Nr btw

Thanks.

Glad to have you here. We are a great community and love to help out. If you want to read up more on what fish would be best for your size tank, this thread is the best place to start. Even though it was written a number of years ago, it is still very much true:

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/74703-lgreens-ultimate-guide-to-nano-fish/

Being that you have a 45G tank, you are pretty much in the top end of what would be considered "nano", which means you could house anything listed in that thread.

No problem dude thats why i love nano reef its awesome. :welcome: to Nr btw

Thank you. I feel like I found a great place for learning what I need here.

Get the wife involved!

My policy: every time I purchase a Reefing item, I get her a gift of equal or greater value.

Not only will she be happier, you will have a Pavlovian situation as well.

My wife really got interested when the clown started hosting...

And I'm a fan of your scape, like the overhang and negative space.

Get the wife involved!

My policy: every time I purchase a Reefing item, I get her a gift of equal or greater value.

Not only will she be happier, you will have a Pavlovian situation as well.

My wife really got interested when the clown started hosting...

And I'm a fan of your scape, like the overhang and negative space.

We kind of do this. We both get a $40 allowance for anything we want to buy.

I like the way to think though. If I want something sooner I'll get her something pretty also. ;)

Archived